Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best $100 steering servo

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Titanium gears=marketing hype. Hitecs are proven quality but the Ti gears are just marketing at work, which it did because before this generation of servos you couldn't type the word Hitec in a forum without the bashers coming up and poo-pooing them, even though they were good then too.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Titanium gears=marketing hype. Hitecs are proven quality but the Ti gears are just marketing at work, which it did because before this generation of servos you couldn't type the word Hitec in a forum without the bashers coming up and poo-pooing them, even though they were good then too.

I beg to differ.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Lord

It's still a good servo. If you learn more about the metal (titanium) and you'll see that for all of it's good attributes- high heat resistance, lightweight, decent fatigue life, none of them lend themselves to gear use. The metal's downsides for the application are: low surface hardness and very poor friction properties, which means gears of titanium will work poorly and eat away their own teeth while they do. The good news is, just about any metal with an amount of titanium in it gets to call itself "Titanuim" (look up Titanal, almost all aluminum with 5-10% ti alloyed into it, this is the metal found in more "Titanium" sporting products) so given it's expense and difficulty to manufacture, there's probably not very much titanium in the ol' Hitec's gears anyway.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

im a huge jr fan. anything jr is good. i also like hitec. every nitro vehichle i own has a hitec throttle and a jr steering. i think the jr is durable and you cant beat the warranty.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

i agree, titanium is marketting hype. but 7955 still rocks like he said.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 AM
Tech Lord

It's still a good servo. If you learn more about the metal (titanium) and you'll see that for all of it's good attributes- high heat resistance, lightweight, decent fatigue life, none of them lend themselves to gear use. The metal's downsides for the application are: low surface hardness and very poor friction properties, which means gears of titanium will work poorly and eat away their own teeth while they do. The good news is, just about any metal with an amount of titanium in it gets to call itself "Titanuim" (look up Titanal, almost all aluminum with 5-10% ti alloyed into it, this is the metal found in more "Titanium" sporting products) so given it's expense and difficulty to manufacture, there's probably not very much titanium in the ol' Hitec's gears anyway.

Titanuim gear's failing...I dont think so....I have NEVER EVER seen a Hitec Ti gear set fail...Nor have i seen a Hitec Ti Top case fail....so imo your theory is bunk....Hitec would Not put 10000$ into R&D to make a servo that would not do its intended job.....I have a couple 4 year old 5955's i bought from another racer here in canada who just wanted new gear...they have been flawless in my 8ight's which are notoriously hard on servo's....Yes there are A Lot of different grades of Ti....but Hitec is using the best For sure.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:22 AM
Tech Lord

Ti being a poor choice for gear material is not a theory, it's a fact. Like I said, we have no idea how much ti is or isn't in the alloy that they are using for their gears, I guarantee it's not the "best" grade or the highest amount of ti alloyed into whatever they're using. The economic scale of RC just doesn't support it.

I'm glad you're happy with your Hitecs but I think the marketing has gotten a hold of you. Hitec came into the market the same way Hyundai did in automotive, by under-pricing their more established and older Japanese competition with cheaper products made in Korea.

FWIW, I have broken the top case on a 5945 after 3 seasons of use for buggy steering, I replaced it for less than $5 and couldn't be happier that I have such a good servo for backup now.
Old 07-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ti being a poor choice for gear material is not a theory, it's a fact. Like I said, we have no idea how much ti is or isn't in the alloy that they are using for their gears, I guarantee it's not the "best" grade or the highest amount of ti alloyed into whatever they're using. The economic scale of RC just doesn't support it.

I'm glad you're happy with your Hitecs but I think the marketing has gotten a hold of you. Hitec came into the market the same way Hyundai did in automotive, by under-pricing their more established and older Japanese competition with cheaper products made in Korea.

FWIW, I have broken the top case on a 5945 after 3 seasons of use for buggy steering, I replaced it for less than $5 and couldn't be happier that I have such a good servo for backup now.
5945= not a Ti gear servo. Just saying, that the top cases are better on the Ti servos.

I don't doubt that the Titanium gears were a marketing ploy, but they are the toughest servo gears I have ever encountered, so it's working.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Lord

where Brass/plastic fail's.....Ti Prevails....there's not much more to it....and X2 the 5945 is NOT a Ti geared servo.
Old 07-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

I love the JR warranty but i don't need a warranty because i run the 7955 in both my T/S. They are a little slower but i went with durability because i got tired of waiting for the mail to come with my replacemt JR's every other week.
My boy is very fast and swears by the ACE 1015's but as we speak we're getting ready to mail them back for warranty replacement AGAIN !!!
Old 07-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

3 full years of racing on a Hitec 5955TG and never had a single issue, can't go wrong with Hitec.
Old 07-01-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bgbelden
I love the JR warranty but i don't need a warranty because i run the 7955 in both my T/S. They are a little slower but i went with durability because i got tired of waiting for the mail to come with my replacemt JR's every other week.
My boy is very fast and swears by the ACE 1015's but as we speak we're getting ready to mail them back for warranty replacement AGAIN !!!
I have heard lots of negative stuff about the ace/AE servos. I personally stay away from them.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Frank L
I have heard lots of negative stuff about the ace/AE servos. I personally stay away from them.
Me too.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bgbelden
Me too.
good for onraod. can't take the offroad abuse like 7955 can.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

this is my steering servo upgrade.

im going to take advantage of the July 4th sale.. at 109 dollars, its not a bad deal.

Airtronics 94780M MG Digital High-Power Servo Z-Conn
# Torque: 361 Oz/In (26.0 Kg/Cm) @ 4.8V , 423 Oz/In (30.5 Kg/Cm) @ 6.0V
# Speed: 0.19 Sec/60 Deg @ 4.8V, 0.15 Sec/60 Deg @ 6.0V
# Dimensions: 1.6 x 0.83 x 1.5 In (40.6 x 21.1 x 38.1 mm)
# Weight: 2.33 Oz (66 g)

right off the hobbypeople.net website. i can't post the link, because of my post count. (new user)
Attached Thumbnails best 0 steering servo-servo.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.