Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Temp Gun Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Addict

Default Temp Gun Suggestions

I'm looking to purchase a new temp gun without totally breaking the bank. What's popular out there both from a quality and price point of view? Suggestions???
Old 06-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rcgeezer
I'm looking to purchase a new temp gun without totally breaking the bank. What's popular out there both from a quality and price point of view? Suggestions???
Iv'e been using the pe1 25 dollar temp gun for 4 years and only had to change the battery once and I would put it up against an exergen 250 dollar gun any day in fact I have and every one I checked it with it was within 5-10 degrees which is ok with me

http://www.tempgun.com/order.html#pe1
Old 06-23-2009, 01:54 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mugenjon
Iv'e been using the pe1 25 dollar temp gun for 4 years and only had to change the battery once and I would put it up against an exergen 250 dollar gun any day in fact I have and every one I checked it with it was within 5-10 degrees which is ok with me

hahahahahahaha i will NEVER spend $250 for a temp I rather my engine blow
Old 06-23-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by token
hahahahahahaha i will NEVER spend $250 for a temp I rather my engine blow
yeah I know spit is free and is always calibrated
Old 06-23-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Pro Exotics Tempgun.com PE-3 for me.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The ofna temp gun is fine. All you really want to do is use the temp gun as a reference point for you during tuning. If you tune to performance, using a temp gun is just to give you confirmation that your tune is in the ball park. I use a raytech and it's more than enough for me.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:50 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Rcgeezer the losi temp tuner sucks it's very inaccurate. I use the odonnels orange one it's about 30 bucks and it works great. I like the way it fts into the head a little bit so you know your n the right location and t records the hottest temp recorded while the button is pushed. I have used the rite temp gun with the laser pointer and it horrble. It was off by 30 degrees cold. That's death to a nitro engine.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Tech Addict

Tell me about it...it's the one being replaced! Great idea in theory combining the temp gun and tuning screwdriver, but sucks in actual application. Thanks Frank!
Old 06-23-2009, 03:18 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mugenjon

tempgun.com is the only way to go
Old 06-23-2009, 03:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

ive been through a couple temp guns over the year's and the one that has stood the test of time is the HPI one....i went through 5 OD's before they offered me a HPI and i though what the heck...ill give it a try....that was almost 2 year ago....and i have also checked it with a Exergen at a big race and it wasn't more then 5-10 off from the Big dollar gun...so im happy.....ive also used a PE-3...but wasn't impressed with how easily you can change from C to F and the max or min buttons were easily pressed changing the setting's....so you had to pay attention before you took the temp or you would be way out to lunch.
Old 06-23-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The most important thing - especially if you're not using a high-end device like Exergen - is to KEEP IT VERY CLEAN. lol.

People compare their temps to my Exergen frequently. Sometimes, they're way off and there's a reason for that. For example: A couple of days ago, a guy asked me to temp his engine and compare the readings... "Mine is reading 20º cooler, as usual", he told me and kinda sighed in frustration. I took his temp gun and cleaned the sensor with my t-shirt, then handed it back to him. I told him to check it again... now he was 2º cooler than my Exergen, well within spec for measuring nitro engines. The look of amazement/gratitude on his face was priceless.

Keep the sensor area as shiny as a showcar's chrome bumper and your readings will be pretty close.
Old 06-23-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
ive been through a couple temp guns over the year's and the one that has stood the test of time is the HPI one....i went through 5 OD's before they offered me a HPI and i though what the heck...ill give it a try....that was almost 2 year ago....and i have also checked it with a Exergen at a big race and it wasn't more then 5-10 off from the Big dollar gun...so im happy.....ive also used a PE-3...but wasn't impressed with how easily you can change from C to F and the max or min buttons were easily pressed changing the setting's....so you had to pay attention before you took the temp or you would be way out to lunch.
I agree about the PE-3's settings being easy to change accidentally. The good thing though is you can re-adjust the settings and your reading will be corrected to the correct setting. In other words it doesn't clear the reading when you change settings, but instead corrects them to your modified settings.

With all of that aside, it is the only one I have found with the features I want but still at an affordable price. It also takes AA batteries so you don't have to keep buying watch batteries for it.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

id use suggestions from above, integras or tempgun.com. i have several high dollar guns and take good care of them and there not worth the extra cash. especially seeing exergen guns sitting in guys boxes that no longer work.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

I have a $30 ofna one. I like it because it's very simple and it has a backlight. I don't use it solely to tune. I tune it with smoke/sound/driving and then I double check with the ofna. No reason to spend so much money on something like that. I'd rather drop the $250 on tires or an engine.
Old 06-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
+1 The HPI Temp Gun is great! I had some problems with the battery coming out but I modded it a little (cushion) and the battery never falls out anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.