Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Crazy radio, battery, servo gremlins...what's your guess? >

Crazy radio, battery, servo gremlins...what's your guess?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Crazy radio, battery, servo gremlins...what's your guess?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
you missed a couple....

Cut, crack open beer, Strip, take a drink of beer, Twist, another drink, Solder, take a big swig of the beer, Shrink, slam the rest of the beer, NOW you're done.......
True.... It's all in the details.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

sometimes the plastic on the servo conector breaks alowing the wire to jiggle around causing the servo to move. you may want to check your plug on the servo.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I skimmed, so sorry if I missed something, but you might want to double check the spline on your servo horn...may seem silly but i had the same problem just the other day setting up my new 4pk, and didnt realize I had my brake EPA way to far out and when i hit the brakes them damn fine hitec servos done reamed my servo horn out [but it took me a good 10 minutes of "diagnosing" my problem of the servo jumping to all different positions for no reason]

Idk, just a thought check it out
Old 06-21-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Allumina
I skimmed, so sorry if I missed something, but you might want to double check the spline on your servo horn...may seem silly but i had the same problem just the other day setting up my new 4pk, and didnt realize I had my brake EPA way to far out and when i hit the brakes them damn fine hitec servos done reamed my servo horn out [but it took me a good 10 minutes of "diagnosing" my problem of the servo jumping to all different positions for no reason]

Idk, just a thought check it out
Yep same thing happend to me on my steering horn. The hitech stripped the servo horn adapter and it would skip a tooth and lock on to the next tooth. I thought I blew a servo but the 7955 is a beast.

On the box there was no problem I only knew I had a problem when there was resistance on the tires. I finally just hit the tires on one side while on the box and they would lock up.

I put a metal servo horn on and no more problems
Old 06-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Integra
Cut, Strip, twist, solder, shrink, Done......

20 min

when you add in my old man eyesight...YES!!! 20 minutes..but thats all 3 items
Old 06-22-2009, 06:32 AM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Jaz240
when you add in my old man eyesight...YES!!! 20 minutes..but thats all 3 items

hehe....im glad im still a young buck
Old 06-22-2009, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for all the great feedback and suggestions guys. I just put in a new JR switch with charging jack (that I don't use) only 1 race ago. Could a bad swtich really cause the throttle servo to act funky but not have any impact on the steering servo? That doesn't sound right to me. The other odd part is that I have the issue with the Stickman pack but not with the OFNA hump pack. It just doesn't make sense to me. I have some servo leads that I'll use to direct connect to the receiver and see if that works. Thankfully the 9100S is not fried and the brakes, when the servo responds, are much better. I'm going to try to get some diagnostic runs in at a local parking lot to see if I can duplicate and eliminate the issues. Nothing sucks more than these kind of gremlins on race day! Thanks again.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:00 PM
Tech Addict

It doesn't sound like the switch can be the problem if the steering servo is fine while the brake side on the throttle is acting up. There's a lot of possibilities here so just keep doing what your doing. Half split the problems until they go away. Divide and conquer.

The brake side probably draws the most current in relation to the steering and throttle side. It sounds like you already found the problem by swapping batteries. If you have a bad cell it won't give you enough juice.

If the battery doesn't fix it. Some other things to check other than whats already been mentioned are the wires on your brake AND steering servo. Especially the power and ground. If the insulation is even slightly exposed and it shorts to each other or some other intermittently. And did either servo get wet?
Old 06-22-2009, 02:07 PM
Tech Master

Nope, not significantly wet. Quick shot of Simple Green and water solution, then air blasted off, then denatured alcohol, then air blasted off, then WD40. Checking all the servo lead wires is a good call. They've been pounded pretty good the last year, particularly in the receiver box on the buggy.