Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me spend my money!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Help me spend my money!

Hey, I am completely new to the RC Car world and I am purchasing a Team Losi 8ight-T 2.0 RTR. So, other than the (2)7.2v/3600mAh battery packs, a Glow Starter and of course Fuel, what are the kind of things that I should really have on hand for a future of running and working on these things? What things are a "Must Have" and what things are "Nice to Have's"?

I currently fly RC Helicopters and have all of the tools, chargers, and equipment to run those, but I am unsure how much of what I already have will work on RC Cars too. If I am going to get into a new hobby I want to do it right and make sure I am prepared.

Any help you guys can give me on how to spend my money would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

r u goin to race? if so u may want to get some spare parts in case of breakage. even though have run nothing but losi i have never broke anything. but i do have all parts just in case. i could go on forever what i bring to the track. so it all depends on what ur plans r.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 128 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HomeKrew
Hey, I am completely new to the RC Car world and I am purchasing a Team Losi 8ight-T 2.0 RTR. So, other than the (2)7.2v/3600mAh battery packs, a Glow Starter and of course Fuel, what are the kind of things that I should really have on hand for a future of running and working on these things? What things are a "Must Have" and what things are "Nice to Have's"?

I currently fly RC Helicopters and have all of the tools, chargers, and equipment to run those, but I am unsure how much of what I already have will work on RC Cars too. If I am going to get into a new hobby I want to do it right and make sure I am prepared.

Any help you guys can give me on how to spend my money would be greatly appreciated.
You could spend some money on a plane ticket to hawaii and enter our race here. jk
on the Losi, I would get some extra shock ends. I had 3 out of the 4 pull out on mine on the first tank of fuel. One even popped off taking it out of the box. This was on the race roller though. Maybe they updated them on the RTR. Also if you are planning to race then maybe a higher torque servo for the steering. Most of us here use the Hitec 7955TG, thing is an animal. Its got some decent servos though. Other than that I think the RTR is all good, even got some better parts than the race roller! Losi did a good job putting that package together. good luck
Old 06-17-2009, 08:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neesh
You could spend some money on a plane ticket to hawaii and enter our race here. jk
on the Losi, I would get some extra shock ends. I had 3 out of the 4 pull out on mine on the first tank of fuel. One even popped off taking it out of the box. This was on the race roller though. Maybe they updated them on the RTR. Also if you are planning to race then maybe a higher torque servo for the steering. Most of us here use the Hitec 7955TG, thing is an animal. Its got some decent servos though. Other than that I think the RTR is all good, even got some better parts than the race roller! Losi did a good job putting that package together. good luck
i also use the hitec 7955. what u could do is put the stock steering servo as the t/b and get the hitec for steering.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

i just purchaced the 2.0 rtr buggy for my son, the first thing we replaced even before running it was the servos, get any high torque srvo that you like, upgrade the steering servo horn to alum, tires get plenty....lol the track will change threw out the day....like said above the list can go on but id at least start with the above.....oh and a GOOD temp gun....hope some of this helps.......
Old 06-17-2009, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Parts

Aluminum front spindles, adjustable hinge pin braces, and maybe smart diffs. All are nice to haves but make a difference in performance. For track tools you should get a digital caliper and a ride hieght gage plus all wrenches for the car. Losi uses standard mostly.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:23 PM
Tech Initiate

Must Haves:
Get a really good steering servo, spare parts, spare glow plugs, an AMB transponder (if you plan to race), a glow plug wrench, a couple of sets of tires (see what people are running at the track), diff oil (check the losi threads for recomendation), shock oils (check losi threads), a good set of hex wrenches (if you don't already have them), clutch shoes and springs (the RTR only comes with 2 clutch shoes but the losi clutch will accept 4), and air filter oil.

Nice To Haves:
Nice gloves (for turn marshaling), simple green (gotta keep it clean), engine sealant (I hear the Lucky 7 stuff is really good), pro kit upgrades (not needed but it would be nice), a custom painted body (gotta stand out at the track ) a Nova 21-4 engine (hey, this is the nice to have section), and the winning lotto numbers
Old 06-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Must have for losi rtr

aluminum servo saver
aluminum steering servo horn
upgrade steering servo (keep steering servo for spare for throttle only)
extra glow plugs
tires (the most important part of set up)
a transponder (not necessary but really nice if you don't mind putting out $100)
ride height gauge
camber gauge
set up sheet (use it)

after those upgrades race it, learn it rinse repeat. By the time you compete in an entire point series which is a good idea. You will have met enough people been in the pit enough. Seen plenty of good and bad engines. Good and bad cars. To know what else you want. Practice does not prepare you for racing like racing does.

Don't waste your money buying a bunch of stuff you probally want need. You can by all the spare parts you want. However you always end up breaking something you don't have.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

must haves:
tires
spare wheel bearings
spare clutch bearings(absolutely must have)
spare diff bearings
glow plugs
shock oils
diff oils
after run oil
lock-tite
grease
ready to use air filters(very important to keep clean spares as they get dirty in a hurry)
body clips
quality wrenches
fuel bottle

nice to haves:
spare parts....control arms, outer hinge pins, front tko crank bearing (dual rubber shielded), servos, clutch shoes, clutch springs, shock caps, rod ends, etc.
sleeve puller kit (offna and grp makes them)

im sure there are more goodies
Old 06-17-2009, 09:03 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by vladconnery
Must have for losi rtr

aluminum servo saver
aluminum steering servo horn
upgrade steering servo (keep steering servo for spare for throttle only)
extra glow plugs
tires (the most important part of set up)
a transponder (not necessary but really nice if you don't mind putting out $100)
ride height gauge
camber gauge
set up sheet (use it)

after those upgrades race it, learn it rinse repeat. By the time you compete in an entire point series which is a good idea. You will have met enough people been in the pit enough. Seen plenty of good and bad engines. Good and bad cars. To know what else you want. Practice does not prepare you for racing like racing does.

Don't waste your money buying a bunch of stuff you probally want need. You can by all the spare parts you want. However you always end up breaking something you don't have.
Originally Posted by busaboy
must haves:
tires
spare wheel bearings
spare clutch bearings(absolutely must have)
spare diff bearings
glow plugs
shock oils
diff oils
after run oil
lock-tite
grease
ready to use air filters(very important to keep clean spares as they get dirty in a hurry)
body clips
quality wrenches
fuel bottle

nice to haves:
spare parts....control arms, outer hinge pins, front tko crank bearing (dual rubber shielded), servos, clutch shoes, clutch springs, shock caps, rod ends, etc.
sleeve puller kit (offna and grp makes them)

im sure there are more goodies
+1 on that. I remember changing out my wheel bearings early too. My friend Buggymaster recommended that and got me some Avid bearings. Stock ones wore really quick.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

I have had this truck since it first came out. I installed the following on my 2.0. Fioroni top alum plate, fioroni inner hinge pin braces, fioroni shock caps, (I tried fioroni adj outter hinge pin braces and they lost the inserts eventually) king headz putter hinge pin braces, alum front spindles, modded rear hubs or king headz ( the outter bearings are too small and blow up fast) alum servo saver top losi or king headz, lightened diff out drives, smart diffs f/r, king headz 6061 alum clutch shoes, hitec 7955 steering servo, hitec 7985 throttle. Leave the f/r plastic braces in and get some spares because they will break, but they allow the chassis to flex like it's suppose to. I also picked some trick carbon fiber shock towers (unnecessary but they look cool) You need tires aka cityblocks and I beams will cover most track surfaces. As for spare parts an ample supply of bearings losi makes a kit, shock ends they may come stripped out from losi, a spare gas tank, some fuel tubing (I like the kyosho tubing), extra glow plugs, losi makes a screw kit that is nice to have and I think that about covers it. I know some will think this is over the top and completly unnecessary, but I like to add all the options just the way I am. I would also throw a new body and an upgrade wrap on it too. If that's too much all I can say is you asked.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Tech Initiate

Very Cool!
I do plan on racing at some point, but not right away. I want to take some time to practice and learn how to basically tear the thing apart and put it back together. I want to learn it inside and out.

So it looks like I still have a lot of things to buy, but I think I have all the tools required from my RC Heli and I already have: Digital Calipers, AfterRun Oil, Temp Gun, Glow Plug Wrench, Hex Wrenches, Loc Tite, and Grease .

I created 3 lists below... Things I 'Must Have' on hand that are used every day or that need to be upgraded right away. Things that are 'Good To Have' on hand if something breaks or is needed but certainly not an everyday thing. And lastly 'Nice to Have' things for upgrades and those things that improve performance or just give it more BLING.

Let me know what you think of the lists and if I am still missing something or if something is in the wrong list.

Must Have:
Tires
7955TG Servo Upgrades
Aluminum Servo Horns
Aluminum Servo Saver?
Shock Caps
Rod Ends
Ride Height Gauge
Glow Plugs
Differential Oil
Shock Oil
Clutch Shoes and Springs
Air Filter Oil
Camber Gauge
Set Up Sheet
Wheel Bearings
Clutch Bearings
Differential Bearings
Air Filters
Body Clips
Fuel Bottle

Good To Have:
Aluminum Front Spindles
Adjustable Hinge Pin Braces
Smart Differentials
AMB Transponder
Control Arms
Outer Hinge Pins
Front Crank Bearing
Sleeve Puller Kit
F/R Braces
Gas Tank
Fuel Tubing
Screw Kit

Nice To Have (or Wish I Had):
Gloves
Simple Green
Engine Sealant
Pro Kit Upgrades
Custom Painted Body
Engine Upgrade
Performance Upgrades
MORE BLING!!!!!
Oh... Ticket to Hawaii and Winning Lotto Numbers
Old 06-18-2009, 01:14 AM
Tech Elite

shock ends
Old 06-18-2009, 04:10 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HomeKrew

3600 mAh battery packs? You're just powering a receiver, transponder, and servos. My pack (and I only have one!) is only 1600 mAh and easily lasts a 45 minute main. I'm pretty sure you could save some $$ there to spend on other upgrades.

Keep in mind that the Losi is SAE not metric... so if your heli equipment is metric you'll need hex wrenches at the least.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:54 AM
Tech Initiate

I'm pretty sure the 3600 packs are to power the starter box that comes with the RTR. not the receiver. And if you plan to buy shock caps, buy the kit shock caps because they are aluminum, but not totally necessary.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.