Wiki Posts
Search

Quick Question concerning O.S.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:19 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Quick Question concerning O.S.

I was wondering if you can put a O.S. speed rod in a v-spec vzb? Are they compatitible? Same dimensions? differences between each rod? I would like to put a speed rod in my v-spec if possible. Only 7 dollar difference between the 2 anyways.

-Thanks.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

Yup!
Old 06-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jrwoodchuck
Yup!
k Thanks for the quick response. Ive heard with v-specs that you want to replace the rod and bearings after break in. Is this neccessary? What will be the benefits? Why do you do this so early? Has anyone else heard of this?

-Thanks
Old 06-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Tech Master

i replace my front bearing only when needed. (ie, a leak)

as for the rod.... if you pre-heat the engine before starting it up during break in, i wouldn't worry about it. but, if you don't pre-heat, yes, replace after break in. these are just my opinions and are not meaning to start a debate.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

yeah around here we use to change the bearings on the 2006 versions..since then the bearings have gotten better...Changing the rod never hurts anytime after break in but is not completely nessecary......unless you have done a lot of cold start up before the p/s has lost its metal pinch

How much fuel to you have through you engine and which version is
Old 06-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Tech Regular

I just finished with my first gallon through it. Its the 004 version with the 21j carb. I used a heat gun to start my v-spec. I then broke it in with a heavy cloth around the head so the heat would stay inside.

Should I inspect my bearings and rod just to make sure? why would you need to change them after break-in in the first place?

-Thanks again guys
Old 06-10-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freestylinmotox
I just finished with my first gallon through it. Its the 004 version with the 21j carb. I used a heat gun to start my v-spec. I then broke it in with a heavy cloth around the head so the heat would stay inside.

Should I inspect my bearings and rod just to make sure? why would you need to change them after break-in in the first place?

-Thanks again guys
i have a 21c carb on mine. whats the diff?
Old 06-10-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pballer2777
i have a 21c carb on mine. whats the diff?
i think the 21`j came from os xz .28 and the difference is the idle screw is easier to reach ..
Old 06-10-2009, 07:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BAYCITYSTEVE
i think the 21`j came from os xz .28 and the difference is the idle screw is easier to reach ..
yeah that idle screw is a pita.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I was wondering if you can put a O.S. speed rod in a v-spec vzb? Are they compatitible? Same dimensions? differences between each rod? I would like to put a speed rod in my v-spec if possible. Only 7 dollar difference between the 2 anyways.

-Thanks.
you cannot use the Speed rod in the std v-spec.
due to the different location of the oil lube hole..
unless you change your crankshaft to the Speed or Ninja JX version.

Speed rod can be interchanged with the JX rod.
hope this helps!
Old 06-10-2009, 09:24 PM
Tech Master

-Thanks again guys
I was told to replace the rod with the Speed rod and bearings with TKO after the 3-4 gallon mark just to make sure everything is seated properly and the engine is fully broken in so there isn't alot of stress on the connecting rod.

Speed rod won't fit on v-spec? I've heard of MANY people who got it to work, plus the v-spec has an oiling hole in the crank anyway.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by n.e.r.d
you cannot use the Speed rod in the std v-spec.
due to the different location of the oil lube hole..
unless you change your crankshaft to the Speed or Ninja JX version.

Speed rod can be interchanged with the JX rod.
hope this helps!
WRONG!

Speed rod is perfectly fine in a standard v-spec with standard v-spec crank. Infact it is a very good upgrade. You will be adding a lube hole, but adding one is actually a positive.

As for when to change, I usually change bearings(to TKO ceramics) and rod in my engines anywhere after break-in to the 3 gallon mark. Some engines will hold metal pinch to about 3 gallons. In this case, I change the rod at that mark to minimize the stress on the new rod. Usually OS motors lose thier metal pinch well before the 3 gallon mark. In this case changing the rod after break-in and around the 1 gallon mark is ideal. Bearings, IMO are nessicary for ANY engine. Go ceramic and be done with it. Bearings fail all of the time, especially cheap stock bearings. It's not worth having a rear bearing let go and take out the whole engine. Spend the $40 on a set of TKO ceramics.

You may be able to save some money by going with the ninja JX rod over the speed labeled rod. They are the exact same part, but the JX is several dollars cheaper. I also like to change wrist pin and clips when I change a rod.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=1385
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=1384
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=5687
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=5679
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...dproduct=10454

Those are the parts I would go with.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
WRONG!

Speed rod is perfectly fine in a standard v-spec with standard v-spec crank. Infact it is a very good upgrade. You will be adding a lube hole, but adding one is actually a positive.

As for when to change, I usually change bearings(to TKO ceramics) and rod in my engines anywhere after break-in to the 3 gallon mark. Some engines will hold metal pinch to about 3 gallons. In this case, I change the rod at that mark to minimize the stress on the new rod. Usually OS motors lose thier metal pinch well before the 3 gallon mark. In this case changing the rod after break-in and around the 1 gallon mark is ideal. Bearings, IMO are nessicary for ANY engine. Go ceramic and be done with it. Bearings fail all of the time, especially cheap stock bearings. It's not worth having a rear bearing let go and take out the whole engine. Spend the $40 on a set of TKO ceramics.

You may be able to save some money by going with the ninja JX rod over the speed labeled rod. They are the exact same part, but the JX is several dollars cheaper. I also like to change wrist pin and clips when I change a rod.

http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=1385
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=1384
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=5687
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...idproduct=5679
http://carolinasrc.com/Webstore/Scri...dproduct=10454

Those are the parts I would go with.

Thanks for all your guys's help. JAMMIN you never cease to amaze me...
Old 06-11-2009, 12:23 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
WRONG!
oops, my bad on the OS rod thing..
we learn something new everyday, don't we?