Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by imaxx21
its says right on towerhobbies the Vspec has no warranty

i'll keep running them, thanks
+2

If the mounting tab broke, I would lean towards a mounting misfunction.

IMO the v-spec is one of the best and most reliable engines made.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
I personally think OS uses the cheapest materials around. There parts quality, craftsmanship, and customer service do not warrant the prices of their engines..Now that being said, if you care to open and inspect your engine every gallon of fuel and replace the bearings, and the rod, and reseal it, then you will get a good engine, but that adds major $$$$ to the price of the engine.

I also had a bad experience with OS as my V-spec came from the factory with a cracked case. I sent it back with a note, as they could see it had not been run because I could not prime it..They sent it back with a note saying No WARRANTY!..That was my first and last OS product
Wow that's scary.

I've run 4 V-Specs and 3 of them run perfect, but cannot hold a tune. I've tried everything in the book and no luck. I really like O.S., but I'm trying out different motors now. The 2 engines that are running have at least 5-6 gallons with no problems so far.
Old 05-21-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

As with any motor, you need to take good care of it and get a proper tune and it will be just fine. Their may be a bad egg here and there but otherwise, the V-spec is a very reliable motor!!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Originally Posted by freestylinmotox
As with any motor, you need to take good care of it and get a proper tune and it will be just fine. Their may be a bad egg here and there but otherwise, the V-spec is a very reliable motor!!
Thats very true. I have had 4 GRP's now and no problems, yet I know more than a couple fellow racers who have had tragic issues with rods and bearings that caused the engines to be destroyed beyond simple repair. Unfortunately these racers dumped their GRP engines, abandoned the GRP brand and invested in other brands. Luckily as far as I know GRP took care of all of them but these guys will never buy another GRP product. I know I know GRP is done, but I think a bad batch of engines can happen to any brand. Its always nice when a company stands behind their product, but look at all the OS engines out there and with the up front notice of NO WARRANTY. It must be a non issue they still sell tons or engines and their speed line is of the most expensive I have seen.
Old 05-22-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default Jaz240

We had a simialiar problem last year at the pit, I think we went through 3 cases on a losi. We were to chamfer the motor mounts and get the quick change motor mount for the losi, it doens't flex as much. Anyways the pit will tear stuff up if you case it, but after we did all that, problem went away
Old 05-22-2009, 06:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by GMS_Racing
Ive ran a few O.S. V-Spec's and finallt took the step to the big boy..the Worlds Edition. After 3/4 of a gallon and no good reason i got a crack on the mounting tab. After sending Great Planes emails and talking to them they will do NOTHING to help me. SCREW them and O.S. motors!! A few people in my area (Tampa) have had problems with the case recently and they wont even entertain the thought that it may have been a bad batch of cases. I offered to send the whole thing in and they still said they could do nothing for me. DONT BUY A V-SPEC OR EXPECT ANY HELP FROM GREAT PLANES!!!
You can't mount it with three nails and bailing wire! hehe.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

How can a company, OS, make junk when their speed line is the most expensive out there. 500 bucks can't be made with low quality junky parts. The STD vspc and the speed share a lot of the same parts. I just can't buy the idea or concept that vspecs are junk.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have a case I can sell you.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:45 AM
Tech Master

V-spec crank cases & carbs have been junk for years now. Too bad too because the motor make great power.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by akiyama77
We had a simialiar problem last year at the pit, I think we went through 3 cases on a losi. We were to chamfer the motor mounts and get the quick change motor mount for the losi, it doens't flex as much. Anyways the pit will tear stuff up if you case it, but after we did all that, problem went away

Mine came out of the box with a cracked case, Mr Akiyama..I had to buy a new case and I replaced the bearings with TKO's before it ever saw any fuel..My $275 V-spec cost another $175 just to get it started..That's why its my first and last OS based product
Old 05-22-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Adept

Default get a GO TECH

Ive ran a few O.S. V-Spec's and finallt took the step to the big boy..the Worlds Edition. After 3/4 of a gallon and no good reason i got a crack on the mounting tab. After sending Great Planes emails and talking to them they will do NOTHING to help me. SCREW them and O.S. motors!! A few people in my area (Tampa) have had problems with the case recently and they wont even entertain the thought that it may have been a bad batch of cases. I offered to send the whole thing in and they still said they could do nothing for me. DON'T BUY A V-SPEC OR EXPECT ANY HELP FROM GREAT PLANES!!!
i had the same problem with my GO the crank case mounting tabs broke off. So i did what you did and call everyone that i thought could help me and Russell over at race factors hooked it up. GO TECH warranty are second to none, i heard at the track , people say that Os had great warranty too at the time i was having my mounting tabs crank case horror. but when i got ahold of race factors Russ got me a new case put it back together, polished the needle and had me racing in less than 6 days. THAT,S SERVICE WITH A SMILE i have the 7t GO TECH it is wicked fast and Oh did i tell you that they are $209-$229
and will spank a v-spec
Old 05-22-2009, 08:03 AM
Tech Adept

Default get a GO TECH

Ive ran a few O.S. V-Spec's and finallt took the step to the big boy..the Worlds Edition. After 3/4 of a gallon and no good reason i got a crack on the mounting tab. After sending Great Planes emails and talking to them they will do NOTHING to help me. SCREW them and O.S. motors!! A few people in my area (Tampa) have had problems with the case recently and they wont even entertain the thought that it may have been a bad batch of cases. I offered to send the whole thing in and they still said they could do nothing for me. DON'T BUY A V-SPEC OR EXPECT ANY HELP FROM GREAT PLANES!!!
i had the same problem with my GO the crank case mounting tabs broke off. So i did what you did and call everyone that i thought could help me and Russell over at race factors hooked it up. GO TECH warranty are second to none, i heard at the track , people say that Os had great warranty too at the time i was having my mounting tabs crank case horror. but when i got ahold of race factors Russ got me a new case put it back together, polished the needle and had me racing in less than 6 days. THAT,S SERVICE WITH A SMILE i have the 7t GO TECH it is wicked fast and Oh did i tell you that they are $209-$229
and will spank a v-spec
Old 05-22-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

i had a friend that had a cracked case and caused the engine to lose compression with in the 1st gallon because it was running to lean, he sent in the engine to hobbico and they sent him a new engine, sometimes you are better off to send it in that way they can inspect it and see if its bad installation on the motor mount or just a weak case, i have found in most cases when you send the product to the company and get it in there hands they usually do what it takes to make the customer happy
Old 05-22-2009, 08:09 AM
Tech Adept

I'm seeing double, but I'm not drunk.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:12 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cjm1126
i had a friend that had a cracked case and caused the engine to lose compression with in the 1st gallon because it was running to lean, he sent in the engine to hobbico and they sent him a new engine, sometimes you are better off to send it in that way they can inspect it and see if its bad installation on the motor mount or just a weak case, i have found in most cases when you send the product to the company and get it in there hands they usually do what it takes to make the customer happy

A BIG X2

most companies strive to keep YOU the customer happy....very rarely will a CS Guy tell you to go Stick it somewhere and leave you hangin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.