is 260 to hot for a vspec???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

is 260 to hot for a vspec???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 07:01 PM
Tech Regular

I don't run over 230/240 on any engine, no matter the brand, On-road or Off-road, and no one should either, there's nothing to gain from it other than wear. if your engine is tunned correctly there will be power at the correct operating temp wich is around 225, I've had engines that have better run time (in on-road) , more power, more torque, simply better everywhere than anything on the track and dont go over 230/240. And as soon as I see a 240 I richen it. I personally like 215-225 but theres really no way of knowing the exact temp when the engine is under load - temp will allways fluctuate 15-20deg.

If you take 10 rods that all measure 10 ft long at 240 degrees and are made of ten diferent materials, if you change the temp 20 degrees up or down ALL the rods will have different lengths, ALL of them, it does not have anything to do with nothig other than temperature. No setting or glow plug or fuel or whatever can afect the operating temp range.

The parts in an engine are designed to operate at a given temperature range, its really not from 200 to 300, thats a 100 degrees, way to much, the linear expansion of any material in 100 degrees is huge. all engines are meant to be ran at 215/240 deg unless its informed from the manufacturer differently, not the modder, not the pro driver, not the tuner, the designer is the only one that knows.

The reason is that any part that fits with or within another part and has different materials (piston/liner, rod/pin/big end, crank/block, button/liner, bearings, etc) expand at diferent rate, so if you are operating it colder or hotter than what was engineered as the operating temperature the parts are being operated literally at a diferent size than what was intended by the guy that designed the engine. Nothing can change that, no mod, adjustment, setting whatever, the only thing that can change that is changing the materials of the engine or the sizes of the parts that makes it.

Sorry guys I got too involved in this hahaha

X