running hot but rich?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

running hot but rich?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 05:45 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by topcat-lll
If you are using 30% nitro, did you add the appropriate shim?
VSPECs don't need a shim to run 30%.

230 isn't excessively hot, you should be fine... and your motor is still breaking in- you'll start having to lean it more as time goes on... power will go up, and fuel consumption down... just be patient with it.
Old 06-04-2009, 04:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

tuning to temp is the reason why i used to flame out alot
i chucked the temp gauge and tuned so it can run all day
weather changes so much here in a short period of time
which makes tuning a bit interesting

its amazing what listenng can do
especially on those long mains
over here you sometimes hear a car
pass by that sounds a bit to lean
and then you hear someone else make a comment about it
whats even more interesting is you can actually point the car
out too

Last edited by 801xthawaii; 06-04-2009 at 04:35 AM. Reason: deleted word that i accidentally put in twice
Old 06-04-2009, 01:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

im in the same boat as you. i have about 1/2 a gallon on my vspec right now. mine comes in at 240 right now. i have my top end rich but my low end race tuned. you will know when your pinch goes away because your motor will go rich like a flip of a light switch.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losi_racer
im in the same boat as you. i have about 1/2 a gallon on my vspec right now. mine comes in for JAZ240 right now. i have my top end rich but my low end race tuned. you will know when your pinch goes away because your motor will go rich like a flip of a light switch.
Always talking about me aren't ya............
Old 06-04-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I used to run my VSPEC at 230-240 (low end race tuned, and has abt 4 gallons)cause i was afraid of doing damage too, but previous weekend i leaned it to 270-280 just to try(wanted to see wht effect will have on runtime) and it seemed to like it . Maybe i m doing damage to the enigne running that hot but I think this is were i m going to stay ...plus i was able to get something like 10.5-11 min out of it.
Old 06-04-2009, 05:54 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

temp gun varies also. keep it very clean. my losi temp gun temps 20+ degrees more than my exergen gun
Old 06-04-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Joey Powell
Learn to listen to the motor. It will tell you what it needs. Follow the tuning procedures laid forth by Ron Paris. Forget the temp gun as soon as you can. They're not bad, but they are something that everyone should try to ween themselves off of. Babies need bottles when they're young, but people who always use temp guns to tune their motors and never learn to tune by sight and sound are like that five year old running around the supermarket with a pacifier in his mouth. I know you've seen him! Your temp will drop when the pinch eases up on the motor. If the motor's running well (sight, sound, reading the plug) don't worry about temp. If that's where it wants to run an ABC motor will go 290 without batting an eye. I've seen plenty of RB's temp that high for 12-15 gallons. What's worse is running it excessively rich. Trying to compress liquid fuel will wear out your rod and crank pin quick. More than 1-2/1000" slop in those and the Vspec will start flaming out on you. I preheat with a heat gun until I get that tale tell change in tune where the motor goes rich once it's broken in. Personally, I heat cycle a new motor about 5 times at about 95% race tune right out of the box. It'll see 1/4 throttle 1st time, 1/2 throttle 3rd, and full wood on cycle 5. These are half tanks approx. After that I let her eat! Hasn't let me down yet.
yep yep. dont know were the temp gun came from myself.