Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
EDS vs Hudy tools....or is there something better??? >

EDS vs Hudy tools....or is there something better???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EDS vs Hudy tools....or is there something better???

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

my only complaint on mip is the mislabeled and wrong sizes on some.....i had original , maybe its gotten better
Old 04-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scottmisfits
How many Hudy handles and or tips do you want me to send you? All broken of course. The Hudy ones, while good, still can't touch the MIP's, unless all you do is electric.

i do primarily only drive 1/8 brushless converted buggies and truggies. but how are electric and nitro different when it comes to abuse to your tools?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

i to have tried sederal brands and found that hudy tools are
the best r/c tools that i have owned
and scottmisfits you can send me all those hudy handles
Old 04-28-2009, 07:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have actually been using the cheap RD logics tools with great success. I am not very hard on tools though. One of my budies broke the tip off of one of my tools, but I have yet to break one. For like $35 for a set of 4 you can't beat them.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (99%+)
Default New tools

I recently purchased a set of O'donnell tools from our LHS. Excellent quality and feel, they need a few more standard sizes, but other than that great tools for the money!!!

Plus I was told that Snap-on tools are making the O'donnel stuff.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Adept

i wouldnt buy MIPs no matter how good they are because the tips arent replaceable, at least all their tools i have seen. they are made of plastic yet priced like aluminum tools and if you do damage the tip you have to buy a whole new tool. so MIP is out. i think i have pretty much made my decision on Hudy. they have the most complete sets, seem to have a good rep, and have the fit and finish i like. the EDS stuff looks nice too and for the most part i have heard good things but i was adding things up and for exact same number of tools that i can get with Hudy i think the EDS will actually only be like $50 less but be more of a pain to buy cuz i have to do more picking and building the set. with Hudy i just click and buy on amainhobbies.com. so far scottmisfits is the only person that had anything bad to say about Hudy and i have posted on other forums too.

any last bits of advice out there?
Old 04-28-2009, 07:48 PM
Tech Elite

Tips aren't replacable but last I heard they were still replacing them if something happens with tem. Will Hudy do that?

Typically the Nitro stuff get's abused and reefed on more than the electric stuff. The electric 1/8 scales are obviously different. Putting in a nitro engine or an electric motor, what are you gonna be harder with putting it in? Probably neither. Now taking them out, after the locktight has had a chance to set and been heat up and cooled of from the nitro engine or that same elctric motor?

Everybody does have their favourite tools. I wasted my money on the Hudy's and will NOT reccomend them to anyone except touring car drivers.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Mip doesn`t have to worry about replacing the tips because the hardley ever break or strip.....By the time you need to replace a mip tool you have gotten your worth out of it.......I bought a hudy 1/4 ball tip driver and it broke the 2nd day..I replaced the tip and before I got the engine mount screw out that tip broke to.....I wouldn`t worry about not having replaceable tips with the mip because you wont need to change them out for a long time
Old 04-28-2009, 08:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 95 (99%+)

+1 on the MIP tools. They don't need to have replaceable tips. They never break. I have put their 2mm wrench in a set of channel locks and torqued on screws that are frozed. Never broken it yet. They are probably the most accurate snuggest fitting tool set I have ever used.

The old associated tools were good. The onew with the hex handles. The tips in the new round handled tools are junk.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Elite

Location: Conducting aggressive board meetings at my local track
Trader Rating: 64 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rossoh10
Mip doesn`t have to worry about replacing the tips because the hardley ever break or strip.....By the time you need to replace a mip tool you have gotten your worth out of it.......I bought a hudy 1/4 ball tip driver and it broke the 2nd day..I replaced the tip and before I got the engine mount screw out that tip broke to.....I wouldn`t worry about not having replaceable tips with the mip because you wont need to change them out for a long time
+1 on the MIP. The owner of the LHS I purchased mine from showed me his original 20 year old Thorpe drivers with no signs of wear/ I was Instantly sold!
Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I got the Hudy Basic Set - 9 pcs. to help me get started with building my buggy. It had most things I needed at first which was great!. However the only thing is that the 1.5 and 2.0mm handle is smaller than the 2.5mm handle. It would have been nice to have all the same size handle for the hex wrenches. If I were to have it my way I would have made it so that they all(including the philips and the flat head screw driver and also the nut drivers) had the same size handle, preferably that of the 2.5mm handle.

But that’s just me, it would be nice to have large handles for more grip and less fatigue when your doing lots of wrenching. What I need to get, when I get enough money, is an electric driver.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I mix and match my tools [even though i have OCD for having everything match] it works out pretty good. For hex drivers, nut drivers, screwdrivers i use Hudy because their quality is UNMATCHED. But i also use ED's for like exhaust spring puller etc stuff that wont wear out/hudy doesnt make
Old 04-28-2009, 09:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

^ oh, but nothing beats my ofna hex tips + hitatchi cordless driver....man does that make wrenching easy!
Old 04-28-2009, 09:16 PM
Tech Addict

I have several of the original Thorpe and a couple of the MIP versions. The only one I have broken is the .050 and the only ones I don't still have are the ones that were borrowed and never returned. They still fit fine.

My set that I use for everyday use is from OFNA, the longer ones with the 1/4"hex ends so i can use them in the handle or in a power tool.

Have used the EDS, Hudy and Odonnel.

In my opinion, all are damn good tools.

Have used a few crap tools also. Some were noname and some were popular cheap brands.

The biggest cause of tool failure is the user. If you keep rounding off tips, breaking tips, or breaking shafts it may be time to look at how you are using the tool. Neither the tool or the fastener is designed to try for 100 ft lbs of torque. Screw and bolt heads also need the dirt cleaned out so the tool can go all the way in. If you are like some folks I know and like to use 1/2 bottle of locktite per screw then you may have to heat things up before removal. All you really need is to clean the threads (both sides) to get rid of all the oil and gunk on them and a small drop of locktite. Fingernail polish works good to.

The best tool..........the one that gets the job done and feels good in the hand.

Ed M.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:23 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 148 (100%+)

Hands down Hudy tools are the best. I have had Losi, Proline (complete junk), Dynamite, Team Magic and H.A.R.D Racing Graphite. I like the Hudy the best. I do use EDS and MIP tips in my power driver. I wish Hudy would make 1/4" tips for the power drivers. I have the basic set that covers all metric and standard and I added a Carb tunning driver and small Phillips driver and the set is complete. Only Hudy from now on for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.