Wiki Posts
Search

Help With Force .32 Engine Melting manifold gasket

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 04:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Questions?? Help With Force .32 Engine Melting manifold gasket

I have an OFNA Mutilator Pro I recently purchased and I am having a strange problem with the Engine. I set it to factory needle settings. I fire up the Force .32. Drove it around for less than a minute, and the header where it meets the engine is getting up over 300 degrees, and possibly higher as my gun only goes to 300 (Only Reads "Hi" after 300). Now when I check it on the temp gun the head, and side of the block at that point read between 150 (Head) and 165 (Block), I have been running nitro's now for some 3 or 4 years and am a little baffeled with this. It is burning up manifold gaskets, melting them. Three Tanks of fuel have been through it at this point. Air Leak? Weird. It starts fine, a little sluggish though when running the engine, only at 1/4 throttle....

Any Help Would be greatly Appreciated....
Old 04-03-2009, 05:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That's a good one! I have seen silicone gaskets that get burnt around the edges but I've never seen one melt. I didn't know it was even possible.

When your taking the temp of the head, what part of the head are you temping? Your temping the glow plug right? What type of tempgun are you using? Is the lens clean?

What type of pipe are you using? What type of fuel? How is the fit between the engine/gasket/manifold?

Some pipes get very hot, and a leak between the manifold to engine connection could increase the amount of burning of the silicone coupler.

How does the engien run? Does it smoke a lot? How is the idle? Is there any fuel leaking anywhere from the engine?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by John Schafer
That's a good one! I have seen silicone gaskets that get burnt around the edges but I've never seen one melt. I didn't know it was even possible.

When your taking the temp of the head, what part of the head are you temping? Your temping the glow plug right? What type of tempgun are you using? Is the lens clean?

What type of pipe are you using? What type of fuel? How is the fit between the engine/gasket/manifold?

Some pipes get very hot, and a leak between the manifold to engine connection could increase the amount of burning of the silicone coupler.

How does the engien run? Does it smoke a lot? How is the idle? Is there any fuel leaking anywhere from the engine?
I am taking the temp at the top of the head. I have 2 temp guns, and both with the same reading, both duratrax. Stock Ofna Mutilator Chrome pipe,manifold. Even tried the pipe/manifold from my Storm pro, but same results even with new manifold gasket. It runs sluggish when taking of, hard to clear out when it's cold, bogs out quite a bit, but it will idle fine? Weird.. It has quite a bit of smoke coming out, but that might be the gasket LOL! I Use the same fuel in the Mutilator that I do in my bb revo with the force 28, power plus 20%. It's really all that I have available to me. No signs of leakage anywhere. I hope that helps....
Old 04-04-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

Fixed....

You are not going to believe what it was. I could not believe my eyes... The bonehead who I got this truck from put the button head on upside down!

He actually siliconed the head to the block! Runs like an animal now.... Pinch is perfect!

That is by far the stupidest thing I have ever seen!
Old 04-04-2009, 12:09 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

How was the engine even running?
Old 04-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by howtowakeakar

How was the engine even running?
I haven't the foggiest idea how. I am still trying to soak it all in.