Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New shock absorber coming from the US.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Vanderpool? Yeah, I was hoping Tex would try and respond to that one! But looking at the virus shock, I can see how you might be able to use the orriginal shock body and shaft, just use Tex's shock cap and guts as well as his pistons, and you should be good! And before you respond, I already know the Virus ones are different.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

LOl, I have no clue Matt..I am just repeating what other drivers are saying...Nick posted on the 808 thread that he was able to use Tex's internals in his stock 808 shock bodies, so I am sharing that with the crowd..although maybe I shouldn't rush to share anything from Nick just yet as he also said the new shock caps from Xray don't fit the original shocks!..so as I stated on XRAY's thread maybe he accidentally put both shocks together to make some sort of Hybrid and now the parts dont all fit together...but I do believe he has succeeded in making it work. Woodchuck, and Tex will know more, as I think they both race with Nick..It would be awesome if we could use the stock shocks, with Tex's new internals to get the best of both worlds and still use all our spare shock parts, and springs
Old 03-12-2009, 05:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Red face I'll try as much as I can...

We have setup some very limited hand made parts to prove some of the concepts in the Xray shock package. RC America has helped us out in this regard. This is just proof of concepts. This has been going on for well over 6months. We use this to find what the short falls are and we also use this to set our design paramenters. This is the reason I will not post pics. They would give you nothing of what the actual production will be.
In turn I have offered to give RC America's local drivers one up on the field for a limited time. This is our test bed and it provides a wide variety of drivers to collect data from. These guys have seen what it is so they will truely understand the statements I am posting here.
You guys will be the first to see when the production parts are ready.

Bodies 16.5mm ID
Shafts 4mm OD
Pistons acetal material with poly valves

Pics coming just before Silve State!!

It is nothing like the Virus shock.
Be patient.
TEX
<----- Not done yet!
Old 03-12-2009, 05:57 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tex1
We have setup some very limited hand made parts to prove some of the concepts in the Xray shock package. RC America has helped us out in this regard. This is just proof of concepts. This has been going on for well over 6months. We use this to find what the short falls are and we also use this to set our design paramenters. This is the reason I will not post pics. They would give you nothing of what the actual production will be.
In turn I have offered to give RC America's local drivers one up on the field for a limited time. This is our test bed and it provides a wide variety of drivers to collect data from. These guys have seen what it is so they will truely understand the statements I am posting here.
You guys will be the first to see when the production parts are ready.

Bodies 16.5mm ID
Shafts 4mm OD
Pistons acetal material with poly valves

Pics coming just before Silve State!!

It is nothing like the Virus shock.
Be patient.
TEX
<----- Not done yet!
Tex, are you going to make the internals for existing shock bodies? (i.e. Jammin, Mugen, and the XRay that you have already done?) That might both lower your manufacturing costs (and even moreso tooling costs!) and keep the overall price down for the users, while allowing you as much profit margin as entire sets... just a thought!
Old 03-12-2009, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

The "concept" for this shock sounds cool for RC cars, but in "concept" is pretty much exactly what is already out there for full size off-road race cars. Those designs are patented with a very large scope and not application or size specific. I hope none of this infringes on existing patented technology.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

What is the lowest weight oil anyone has tried?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:10 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Doh

Originally Posted by Jaz240
LOl, I have no clue Matt..I am just repeating what other drivers are saying...Nick posted on the 808 thread that he was able to use Tex's internals in his stock 808 shock bodies, so I am sharing that with the crowd..although maybe I shouldn't rush to share anything from Nick just yet as he also said the new shock caps from Xray don't fit the original shocks!..so as I stated on XRAY's thread maybe he accidentally put both shocks together to make some sort of Hybrid and now the parts dont all fit together...but I do believe he has succeeded in making it work. Woodchuck, and Tex will know more, as I think they both race with Nick..It would be awesome if we could use the stock shocks, with Tex's new internals to get the best of both worlds and still use all our spare shock parts, and springs
Yeah laugh it up Jaz240 I was wrong on the shock caps! The bummer is that is the first time I have been wrong in my life! (there was a washer in the cap I didn't see and that kept it from tightening up) Here are some pictures of the 09' spec buggy and shock's (Tex's shocks), you can see how the boot fits. The bulkheads are thicker and the servo saver is slightly different and most of you are aware of the other changes. The low profile airfilter and fuel tank are also shown. I will run the losi RE-11 pipe I just put the JP-3 on for pics.

The lightest oils we have run was in Houston smooth blue groove with some big jumps (others where chassis slapping) and we ran 25fr 20rr.
Attached Thumbnails New shock absorber coming from the US.-ebay-pics-005.jpg   New shock absorber coming from the US.-ebay-pics-004.jpg   New shock absorber coming from the US.-ebay-pics-001.jpg   New shock absorber coming from the US.-ebay-pics-003.jpg   New shock absorber coming from the US.-ebay-pics-002.jpg  

Old 03-12-2009, 07:27 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

just outta curiosity Nick..why are the pics labeled Ebay 1-5...were you trying to sell this rig in the pics ?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Initiate

Default pics

Integra,

Just a file I use at work that I use for posting e-bay pics that was handy. I actually just noticed that one of the pics was of my old buggy that I did sell on E-bay Monday of this week. (its the front shock pic without the boot) I will have an XT8 for sale in 2-3 weeks?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Nick, is there a difference under the fuel cap from the old tank?
Old 03-12-2009, 10:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Nick, the screw holding your front camber link is backwards, just FYI... I'm tellin' you, I got your back buddy!

Originally Posted by Two-speed
Nick, is there a difference under the fuel cap from the old tank?
New integrated seal, no longer just an o-ring.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Default !

As usual Rocco talks for me and yes as he said the seal is different! lol hahah!

And takes care of me on my cars, Rocco like a typical guy I tried to build the entire car without the manual, thanks for the catch i will get it fixed before Sunday!

Last edited by Nick Vanderpool; 03-12-2009 at 11:03 AM. Reason: oops
Old 03-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

I think it may be safe to say that since Tex was hand making parts to fit the stock XRAY shocks...it seems that we may not be able to use Tex's internals on our stockers!...bummer

Nick, I'm only playin Bud, no offense
Old 03-12-2009, 04:07 PM
Tech Master

tex, pm'd ya
Old 03-18-2009, 03:53 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Folks, Tex showed me these shocks last night, and how they work.

For those of you wanting pics... I can assure you, he has a couple of good reasons for not posting them:

1st, the "proof of concept" prototypes he had made up won't go together the same way as the production ones. On the prototypes, everything is inside the shock body so it isn't externally adjustable... the production ones will have external adjustment for several things.

2nd, I was holding the parts in my hand and I initially didn't "get it." (And I'm NOT a stupid guy!) Pics won't help without an explanation, and the explanation will come when the shocks are available I'm sure. When that explanation DOES come, there will be repeated sound among racers of hands smacking foreheads and the exclamation "DUH! Why didn't I think of that?"

For the guys worried about patents from shock manufacturers... I can assure you this does NOT work the same way. In fact, I don't think this would scale very well to full-size vehicles... maybe I'm wrong about that, but I don't think so.

I'm a cheap &$^% when it comes to hobby stuff... and I'm positively going to spend the money on these. You can see an amazing difference on the cars running these as they go over bumps and ruts, and when they land jumps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.