Wiki Posts
Search

Any American engine builders

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 11:46 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
A milled from billet block would be awesome. You could aways speed things along by buying piston/sleeve/conrod from Rb/Novarossi and machine the rest.
I think the pistons are cast as well. (thats why I suggest that.) Keep in mind most carbs are plastic now. But you can machine that to.

Amc?? I wouldn't want their bad mojo.
That is actualy a awesome idea! It would not be made in America but totaly awesome! Somethink to talk to the dad about. I just spoke to him about cast vs machined and we came up with some pros and cons on both.

And haha amc. I kinda though that was funny.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by chunk t
Actually K&B makes an .18 size car engine w/recoil. K&B has never offered a "true" .21 car engine, though they had offered the Marine .21 retrofitted with a large heatsink head for use as a road engine (late '70s). Ran good but the block wasn't tough enough to handle the slamming & banging a car would dish out. K&B blocks are light investment castings intended for aircraft. It's pretty priecy to tool up for a new block design & I don't think MECOA has the pockets to do it. Yep, I heard Andy was working on a car oriented MAC, though like the K&B, Andy is going to need a completely different block design.

FYI - any marine NovaRossi, Picco or CMB based engine is adapted from a car engine (note the big heavily reinforced blocks)
Yes they did in the 1970's and 80's it was the 3.5 car engine and it was the engine to beat until Picco came to the country.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I own 3 American made engines (Jett and Nelson). They aren't car engines though they are made for airplane use. I do have to say 2 of them are billet machined and 1 cast and all 3 are the best performing plane engines I own.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:15 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

The question would be can someone do it and still have it be marketable. lets not forget that American labor is $8-12 an hour and Chinese labor is $8-12 a week..I dont know if I would buy an engine for $600 just because it was made in the USA...not unless they made the sleeve part of the block so it never expanded, and never wore out..A longer lasting engine that gets 100,000 miles Plus, like our cars..That would get my $600
Old 02-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default money

Italy has one of the highest paid work forces in europe and there dollar is worth more than ours and they still make money selling motors at $150 (nova 3 port)to over $600 for a good on road motor. If the motor is good racers will pay, I think the new Speed is over $500 and I know alot of people will buy it. This is my hobby, this is what I have fun doing, and this is what I spend money on. I dont think $300 to $500 is that bad for a motor.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:03 AM
Tech Addict

Zero Defect ....WTF happened we found your cape at the track and we reported you missing ....it is now being handled as an abduction. Grouchy is now the unchallenged ruler of our track . Sorry guys i had to find this guy,his cell phone does not work any more.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:06 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

I started this thread for feedback on why we don't have an american engines builder. Please leave the joke stuff in your own thread.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:18 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Joey Platinum
Zero Defect ....WTF happened we found your cape at the track and we reported you missing ....it is now being handled as an abduction. Grouchy is now the unchallenged ruler of our track . Sorry guys i had to find this guy,his cell phone does not work any more.

Grrrr that darn cell phone of mine......I'm up north on an expedition into the zen world of 1/8th scale On-road. 2 of the best on road tracks in the nation are in my backyard and one of the best offroad tracks is only 3 hours away.

On road nitro is 2 speeds, 80 mph, 5+ g's in every corner, tire changes in the pits. If I van handle these machines, off road should be a cake walk. My new green Majik powers will rise again.

Next time you see Neon green at tha Tally track Grouchy won't stand a chance. Didn' soupy dnf again anyway? Looks like Benny won the race. You get your other 8 together yet?

I'll pm ya my email, later.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:35 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by revo61
I started this thread for feedback on why we don't have an american engines builder. Please leave the joke stuff in your own thread.
Oh, lighten up. Let the amain have some fun.

The reason we don't have a US nitro engine maker is because the market is flooded with better Italian motors and a whole lot of el-cheapo engines.

There is what like 40 different engine makes now. Every week some new co. pops up makeing some new fad pos chicom spec engine.

Most small Us co. are into small upgrade parts now. Better profit margins on less competitive markets. Think kingheads, M2c, etc. I'm thinking of rapid prototyping small parts and if they work, having them manufactured in quantity. Start my own co. But I'm not going to touch engines. I might make a 4 stroke conversion kit eventually.

We allready know to stick to the big names for good reliable engines. RB, Novarossi, Picco. Everything else is less. It would take some serious cool to breakthrough that stigma.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:53 AM
Tech Elite

Put it is still possible to do. And with all the machinist and engineers that have been laid off, the knowledge and capability is there. If a driver wins a major race using that engine, they would easily sell a ton of them. If Joey wants to contact you, that’s what pm is for. Stop hijacking my thread.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:29 AM
Tech Champion

If any laid off machinests or engineers want to Pm me to start a new Nitro engine manufacturer specilizing in .21 race engines and 4 stroke conversion kits.

We could call it "Bmain motors Inc.".
Old 02-16-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marcus Falconie
Italy has one of the highest paid work forces in europe and there dollar is worth more than ours and they still make money selling motors at $150 (nova 3 port)to over $600 for a good on road motor. If the motor is good racers will pay, I think the new Speed is over $500 and I know alot of people will buy it. This is my hobby, this is what I have fun doing, and this is what I spend money on. I dont think $300 to $500 is that bad for a motor.
You are way too engine biased to give feedback...You have owned...currently own....or plan to own every engine ever made, so if it was up to you, engines would come out of gumball machines...I know you don't care if its $10, or $10,000...You gotta have it!! Why don't you become the USA engine maker? We know you hate your job. Follow the dream bud....follow the dream
Old 02-16-2009, 07:40 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
There is what like 40 different engine makes now. Every week some new co. pops up makeing some new fad pos chicom spec engine.
Not that many actual manufacturers. Most are just rebranded versions made by someone else. Let's see if we can figure out how many actually make motors.

Italy

1. Novarossi (RB, Top, Rex, JP, Murnan, etc.)

2. Picco (IDM, some Orion's, Ofna, etc.)

3. Star (Sirio, RB, Capricorn, Orion, etc.)

3. GRP (old Ninjas)

4. CMB (I think they actually make the motors though I know they used to use Picco carbs)

5. OPS

Japan/Taiwan/China

6. OS (new Ninjas)

7. SH (every cheapo motor on the planet)

8. I have heard GO actually makes their own motors but don't know for sure.

9. Thunder Tiger (Reedy)

10. Toki

Who else? I know there are some others that just make plane or boat or other oddball specialty motors but who else makes car motors?

Last edited by wingracer; 02-16-2009 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 07:43 AM
Tech Elite

So we are going to have 2 Us companies Zerodefect engines and Falconi engines. Cool!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Toki (fantom, Peak, Orion, HPI, Kyosho, etc.)

Thunder Tiger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.