Losi 8ight Ready to Run 1/8 Buggy?????

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight Ready to Run 1/8 Buggy?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

Default Losi 8ight Ready to Run 1/8 Buggy?????

I'm about to buy a buggy, anybody racing this one? Good and bad?

Thanks
Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Hitman Racing 1
I'm about to buy a buggy, anybody racing this one? Good and bad?

Thanks
I'm racing it. It's one of the best RTRs out there. Excellent engine and radio system. I've got a Mugen MBX5 Prospec that is admittedly stronger in some areas, but it costs a lot more, it's not an RTR, and it's very heavy. My 8ight RTR pwns my MBX5 Prospec on the track.

The servos and shock towers on the RTR are considered the weak points, but it's an affordable RTR after all. I highly doubt you'll be disappointed in the 8ight RTR. I paid $550 for my 8ight RTR, but I think they're $400 now at Amainhobbies.com. It was worth every penny even when it was $550, too.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yes this is a good RTR, but if you are SERIOUS about racing get a kit, pick a "racing" engine. If you need to skimp somewhere get a used dx3.0 radio off ebay.

I started with a RTR and would have saved money had I just went ahead and bought race spec stuff from the beginning. Again, if you are SERIOUS about racing get race quality goods and you'll save cash in the long run...
Old 02-13-2009, 09:07 AM
Tech Adept

I have a savage25 all alluminum, and a rustler2.5 I have raced the rustler on oval a few times. I'm just getting into racing off road track with a buddy, so prob go with rtr. Thanks for the reassurance guys. Nitrohouse has it for 399!!!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Both losi RTR's are the best out there. And now for the price you can't beat it. The stock 427 engine is a screamer and the dsm radio will keep you headache free.
Old 02-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

not a fan of any rtr's, they start out being a pretty good deal, but by the time you start changing parts and upgrading you will have around the same money tied up and still not really have the full competition level kit, that is if you are gonna race it, you will change out the engine because of fuel economy, you i will end up changing servos because they arent strong enough, then the shock towers because they are weak, in the long run it will all add upto just getting the good stuff to begin with
Old 02-13-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Dude, Did I ask if rtr or race roller was better????? Nope. I want the rtr, when i get sponsors like you then talk to me!
Old 02-13-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Dude, Did I ask if rtr or race roller was better????? Nope. I want the rtr, when i get sponsors like you then talk to me!
Chill the f*** out dude!! We are just trying to help. If you don't want suggestions, don't make threads. If you had already decided what you were getting, there was no need for this thread.

I think you would be better off with a kit. Yep I said it. Now yell at me. You are wasting your money by getting an RTR.

Last edited by JAMMINKRAZY; 02-13-2009 at 03:28 PM.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:46 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have the 8 RTR. I got it with very good servos, so I cannot comment on how bad the stock ones are. So far, I ahvent broken any parts, the only thing I replaced was the shock towers even though they were not broke. I just wanted to make sure they wouldnt break. Ebay is your friend if you get the RTR. I got 2 NEW kit towers for $22 shipped on ebay.

The mach 427 is THE best rtr engine and the dx2.0 is THE best rtr 1/8 buggy radio.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

i can speak for most of us that have been racing for a while, most started out with the rtr's and then spent a ton of money upgrading only to dump it and get a full race kit after a while, was just trying to give helpfull advice
Old 02-13-2009, 01:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just finishing putting together my 8ight-T roller. I'll give you a breakdown of roller cost vs. the RTR. I'm listing the components that would come with the RTR version.

8ight-T roller (1.0): $350
Go 7 port .21: $210
Pipe: $65
Spektrum DX3R radio (comes with receiver): $300
2 x Futaba S9351 servos: $240 (combined)
NMIH battery receiver pack: $20 or so
------
$1,185.

The first thing to note is that I put relatively high-end electronics on mine. You can save money by getting lower end electronics. You can get adequate JR servos for $100 (combined). My engine is a mid-priced one. There are a few engine choices around $150, which would save you $60. You can get a lower-priced radio, too.

Another thing to note is that I didn't spend $1,185 at once. I used the electronics that I bought a while back and were in my retired Mugen. I would have used the same engine, but it was worn out and I decided to buy a new one. In theory, the real price that I spent on the 8ight-T roller was just the roller itself: $350. On top of that, I will be able to sell my MBX5 roller. An 8ight RTR stripped down to a roller isn't worth much at all.

My point is that the initial cost of an RTR is inexpensive compared to buying all of the components for the higher-end rollers/kits. But further down the line, RTRs end up costing more. The radio and perhaps the engine in an 8ight RTR are worth transferring to a new car, but little else is. I'll stick my components in my next kit, too because they're going to last, and will again be cheaper than an RTR.

But, I race my 8ight buggy RTR too. It does well and it's well worth the money. I'm just giving you the other scenario as well.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:08 PM
Tech Adept

Sorry guys, I don't have the money for the roller, I'm not a hard core racer. i will be race little tracks on the weekends when I can. I got a 2 year old daughter that I'd rather spend money on than a rc car. I didn't mean to go off guess it's hard to read people through text... I didn't have my mind made up except that I'm going to buy rtr.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
Chill the fuck out dude!! We are just trying to help. If you don't want suggestions, don't make threads. If you had already decided what you were getting, there was no need for this thread.

I think you would be better off with a kit. Yep I said it. Now yell at me. You are wasting your money by getting an RTR.
I never asked anything about a roller????? I asked is anyone racing this specific model, and any good or bad things about it? Learn to read I guess is my only advise to you. SEEMS TO BE A FRIENDLY FORUM!!!!!!
Old 02-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Tech Adept

I never asked anything about a roller????? I asked is anyone racing this specific model, and any good or bad things about it? Learn to read I guess is my only advise to you. SEEMS TO BE A FRIENDLY FORUM!!!!!!
Also I would imagine there is a good percentage of kids that read this forum, kind of tastelss to be using the F word like that.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default My losi 8

I GOT A NEW LOSI 8 AND WAS WANTING TO KNOW WHAT IS THE FUEL I SHOULD RUN I HAVE NITROTAME 20 PERCENT IS THAT GOOD TO USE???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.