Wiki Posts
Search

AE 16mm BIG BORES shock oil?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default AE 16mm BIG BORES shock oil?

What is everyone using in there AE 16mm Big Bore for shock oil? And what springs are you using? Im picking up a set of front and rear spring sets and front and rear BB from amianhobbies.com

And could you tell a big diffrence between the FT's and the BB's?

Is it worth the 150.00$ on shocks?
Old 02-09-2009, 11:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I'm running 30W 1.3 (sometimes 1.4) silver spring (Ofna white) in the front and 22.5W 1.3 black (Ofna yellow) in the rear. I like both FT and BB shocks but my favorite are the BB!!!!
Old 02-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes big bores are worth the money.

I havent run the AE ones yet but the Jammins I had on my old car were money. I used 1.4 pistons 35wt oil and Jammin blue front and white rear springs.

I built a new car for 2009 using the Maifield set-up from the Worlds. It uses 1.4x6 35wt bronze fronts 2mm limited and 1.2x6 25wt silver rears 4mm limited.

I also have another set built with the pre-drilled 1.3 pistons with 30wt oil front and rear with the Jammin springs I used on my old car.

I am going to test them both in 10 days at Motorama. The set with the Maifield set-up feels a good bit softer than the other set on the bench.
Old 02-09-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i built my BB with the worlds setup also.. when i put them on the car they felt really really soft. i am anxious to try them out and see how they feel on the track
Old 02-12-2009, 07:00 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well i got my BB in lastnight anf got them built. I used 35wt in all 4's with bronze springs in front and silver in the rear. They look great.!!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Location: Just north of Atlanta at foot of North Georgia Mtns. Best Motorcycle riding in the east coast ^^
Default BB's Associated

Truggy use: Large track big jumps..blue associated in front..bronze rear with 1.6 holes and 30front/25 rear..drop one spring range for smaller tracks/jumps. Of course anti squat and temps have a big effect on fluid/hole/spring selection imho ^_^.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TXRC8racer
Well i got my BB in lastnight anf got them built. I used 35wt in all 4's with bronze springs in front and silver in the rear. They look great.!!
They always look great but you may find those are a bit firm. Check out rc10.com and find the World's setup. I've got it on my RC8 now and it's dialed!
Old 02-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

I guess I'll post it here too. I have a question about ae BB's. Is it absolutely necessary to build the shocks with internal limiting? The instructions don't show or say anything about internal limiting nor does the BB kit come with limiters. If they are necessary, please explain why. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ~Driver~
I guess I'll post it here too. I have a question about ae BB's. Is it absolutely necessary to build the shocks with internal limiting? The instructions don't show or say anything about internal limiting nor does the BB kit come with limiters. If they are necessary, please explain why. Thanks in advance.
no it is not necessary to run limiting if you by bigger set screws and drill out your arms a little. i use 4x 8 mm set screws in mine. pro use internal limiting because the factory set screws are to small and not flat on bottom so dig into chasis causing droop to change on long runs which changes car handling. i have been running oversized ste screws in my chasis for a while now and my droop is staying consistent from start to finish of race day like using this method because can change droop without rebuilding shocks
Old 02-12-2009, 11:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Use internal limiters. Makes life alot easier, lessens wear on the chassis.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:31 AM
Tech Fanatic

Well I ran this past weekend w/ the BB and man it seems like a diffrent car!! I never thought it would make that big of a diffrence but going thru a real bumpy section was no problem. I improved my average lap times by over a second from the last time i was out!! I also went to a V3 Revolver M3 tire as well. The BB were the best investment i have made yet on the car!!!!
Old 02-16-2009, 08:02 AM
Tech Apprentice

Did you use internal limiters? I have mine built without them and am considering rebuilding them with the limiters in them. I'm just worried about the limiters cracking or breaking inside the shock. If I don't use limiters I've been told that the set screws will dig into my chassis. Any input is much appreciated. Thanks. Also, is everyone using the RC8 standoffs or the RC8T ones. Thanks again.
Old 02-16-2009, 10:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

The limiters will not break inside the shock. They last forever. The chassis screws will dig into the chassis. Or you can use rc8t droop screws which are just a pan head screw put in from the bottom and an allen driver in the end of the screw. I just bought my own screws and dremeled a slot in the end and run them upside down.

You should try the car without and then with limiters to see how you like the difference and if it makes a difference in your laptimes.

When my buddy put big bores on his car it made a very dramatic difference. His car went from loose and tailhappy to nicely stuck to the track just from that change alone. I couldn't believe the difference it made. I finally found a set for a price I could afford and can't wait to try them out for a whole day this weekend!!
Old 02-16-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

jbrow1 ~ thanks for the input. I will be running them for the first time this weekend as well. I'll post up how it goes............
Old 02-18-2009, 07:08 AM
Tech Apprentice

Is everyone using the standard RC8 stand-offs or the RC8T stand-offs? Haven't tried bolting them on just yet. I'll probably get a chance to tomorrow. Just want to make sure I have everything. I have the flanged nuts and bushings. Are the bolts used the same? Thanks in advance. Sorry for double post.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.