Wiki Posts
Search

Problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default Problems

Ok heres my situation. I took my 8ight truggy out 2 days ago with a jr xr2i radio and jr servo for throttle. Everything had gone smoothly the two days before during break in so I was looking forward to tuning. I started it up and ran it down my driveway a few times and the lst time I ran it down I had a runaway!! Thank go no parts broke which is amazing seeing as it hit a tree at almost full throttle. So I took it in and saw that when I turned my car and truck on the throttle had no response. So I took my jr servo out and sent it back to them and I also put in a spektrum dx 2 radio. I thought this for sure would solve my problem but sure enough I took my truggy out tonight and I had another runaway. The strange thing about this one was that the engine didn't go full throttle it just sort of coasted until it came too a stop in the snow. Again no broken parts!!. Now it is really annoying and scary to think everytime you take your truck out it is going to runaway. I am going to get a failsaf but I would like to know what the cause of this problem is. Does anyoone know?
Old 02-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Ok heres my situation. I took my 8ight truggy out 2 days ago with a jr xr2i radio and jr servo for throttle. Everything had gone smoothly the two days before during break in so I was looking forward to tuning. I started it up and ran it down my driveway a few times and the lst time I ran it down I had a runaway!! Thank go no parts broke which is amazing seeing as it hit a tree at almost full throttle. So I took it in and saw that when I turned my car and truck on the throttle had no response. So I took my jr servo out and sent it back to them and I also put in a spektrum dx 2 radio. I thought this for sure would solve my problem but sure enough I took my truggy out tonight and I had another runaway. The strange thing about this one was that the engine didn't go full throttle it just sort of coasted until it came too a stop in the snow. Again no broken parts!!. Now it is really annoying and scary to think everytime you take your truck out it is going to runaway. I am going to get a failsaf but I would like to know what the cause of this problem is. Does anyoone know?
well if you already have a dx2 installed you don't need a failsafe, it has one built in. you should chech all electronics. Check the switch, all connections, the riciever and all the linkages. Since you have used 2 different radios it is probably not the reciever. I would say you are losing power somewhere. check all your connections, your switch and reciever battery. What kind of reciever battery are you running? If you are losing power you would lose steering and throttle. Are you just losing throttle or both?
Old 02-03-2009, 03:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

Well on the first run away I lost both, but on the second I really couldnt tell. I am using a pretty beat up battery but I checked the voltage and it was fine. Also how do you access and set the failsafe on the dx2??
Old 02-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well on the first run away I lost both, but on the second I really couldnt tell. I am using a pretty beat up battery but I checked the voltage and it was fine. Also how do you access and set the failsafe on the dx2??
When you bind the reciever to the radio with the dx2, the failsafe is set however the controls are being held at that time. so if you want to set failsafe to full brake you would hold the brakes on when you bind it. I reccomend setting the failsafe to neutral(not touching anything while binding) so you don't blow out a throttle/brake servo if you forget to turn the car off and have the radio off. I have seen people do that too many times. I always set mine to neutral now. As for the problem I believe you are losing power. It is always a good idea to use throttle return of some sort. You can use a spring or what I use is GMK supply carb O's which are basically rubber bands. you put these around the carb so if you lose power they will pull the carb closed.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ok I have seen some people put a spring that you wrap around the engine onto the carb do you think that would work? Also wouldn't this put alot of stress on your servo?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Tech Addict

I have failsafe, and double up a thin elastic band.. Works a charm!! for me.. last sunday reciever pack died on me throttle was gone. It just sat there slowly ticking over- and not going WOT at a nearby person!
Old 02-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

My guess would be the battery. Do you have another one you can try out? if not its never a bad thing to have two anyway.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Ya I think I will buy one.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Any thoughts on the spring around the card or can I just use a rubber band?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:57 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Any thoughts on the spring around the card or can I just use a rubber band?
I wouldn't use a rubber band. They degrade quickly especially when they are exposed to nitro fuel. I use some silicone bands that I bought from Walmart. They are in the section with all the hair clips and berettes.

This is what I use but the ones I bought from Walmart were clear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/71292-Goody-COLO...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Tech Fanatic

So I shouldnt use the spring but are those just hair scrunchies?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Use the small black rubber bands women use in there hair. A pack of 100 is like 2 bucks. They are petroleum resistant due to that's what goes in women's hair petroleum based products. I change mine every time I service or clean my ride. Who cares if I waste them there like .5 cents a band. I use 2 doubled over around the carb to the throttle pin. I have a thick black zip tie around the base of my slide boot so the rubber bands don't squeeze on the boot.

Oh and not to mention 3-4 around your gas tank works wonders for keeping a good seal on the lid.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default It sounds like a switch to me

I had the same problem with my jammin. One second it would be fine, then all of a sudden the truck would take off. I bypassed the switch and I was good. Because even when your battery is getting low on juice it still has enough power to keep the engine at idle. Now when I feel my servos getting sluggish I just bring my truck in and charge the battery. Just my .02
Old 02-03-2009, 05:37 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

So I shouldnt use the spring but are those just hair scrunchies?
They are like small rubber bands but they are made out of silicone or some other type of stretchy elastic material. They are more resistant to corrosion and degredation than regular rubber bands. I have had mine on my engine all year and I have yet to have one snapp or fail due to the elastic band degrading.

These little elastic band are far better than the rubber bands IMO
Old 02-04-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Ok with my dx2 do I need a module? I just have the radio and receiver but it seems like I only have a 100 ft of response? Does anyone know if the poer loss is the problem here too? I have no control over the throttle or wheels but my truck just sits and idles? What is a module?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.