Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Methods for cleaning/lubricating bearings? >

Methods for cleaning/lubricating bearings?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Methods for cleaning/lubricating bearings?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 12:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NCWC
Dont listen to this dude. No matter how pretty the wrapper is or what materials they are manufactured from, forgetting bearing matinence is ignorant. I like ANY bearing with two rubber seals. They keep dirt out better and are easier to take apart to clean. I clean them about every 1/2 gallon with brake or carb cleaner and compressed air until they spin fast without chattering or sounding gritty. If they never do clean up i will replace them. I usually find the start of a problem before it gets bad enough to cause a DNF.
I repack them with automotive axle grease then blow the excess out with low psi compressed air. Put the seals back on and put them back in the car. Sometimes I will take the seals off the inside-side of the bearing in the hub carriers. $1.00 bearings are a good idea for a supply of spares.
+1 all bearings need maintenance. I always do the 3 weekend rule, this is the same rule i learned from the AE team drivers i race with. is just good to check them.

1st weekend (brand new bearings)
2nd weekend (take out lube all bearings and clean out grit)
3nd weekend (clean them, then toss them in a ziploc bag with wax lube)

start the cycle all over again. its just good habbit. if you dont maintain your machine, you will be fighting your machine the whole race. having a maintain rig will always reward you later. (less broken parts, less blown parts, etc)
Old 01-26-2009, 12:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thats a lot of trouble for a $1 bearing. I just replace them.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:59 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by l3asher
yeah it is. but its money that can be better spent. plus most Pro-class drivers i know run the best possible bearings.

i spend well over 50 bucks on ceramics bearings every month. which isn't to bad for 3 Rigs.

to each there own i guess.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by l3asher
x2.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Adept

Funny. Try the Boca's. Take them out, wipe them off, and put them back in. Not here to argue or only push my sponsors. A guy asked for some advice and I gave it. YOU WON'T BE DISAPPOINTED!!!

If you don't believe me then keep taking 20 some bearings apart, degrease them, air blast them, re-grease, put back together and reinstall. Been there and done that. I'll stick with my yellow seals..........
Old 01-26-2009, 01:16 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I want to try some avid bearings in my 8ight rtr but I dont know what size it needs. Also what type and size bearings woulld I need for my motor and clutch?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:20 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by [email protected]
I want to try some avid bearings in my 8ight rtr but I dont know what size it needs. Also what type and size bearings woulld I need for my motor and clutch?

5x13 for inner clutch
5x10 for outter clutch
8x14x4 for outter wheel bearings
1/2"x3/4" Inside wheel bearing
8x14x4 Flanged for diffs
6x10x3 for steering rack
5x11x4 pinion bearings.

i think thats it.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:21 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by [email protected]
they should be listed in your manual......
Old 01-26-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

So how often do you replace your bearings? I got my 8ight used and ive drove the car a couple weekends doing my maintence on them every week, and they still spin freely without any noise.

For some reason, right after I clean my bearings with motor spray they feel gritty. Then when I lube them they feel smoother. Why is this?
Old 01-26-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Integra
5x13 for inner clutch
5x10 for outter clutch
8x14x4 for outter wheel bearings
1/2"x3/4" Inside wheel bearing
8x14x4 Flanged for diffs
6x10x3 for steering rack
5x11x4 pinion bearings.

i think thats it.
rgrassey has a 8ight t if that makes a difference.

Last edited by Chris__RC; 01-26-2009 at 01:47 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
rgrassey has a 8ight t if that makes a difference.
they use the same bearings.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Chris__RC
So how often do you replace your bearings? I got my 8ight used and ive drove the car a couple weekends doing my maintence on them every week, and they still spin freely without any noise.

For some reason, right after I clean my bearings with motor spray they feel gritty. Then when I lube them they feel smoother. Why is this?
I replace mine when I spray them out and they feel loose or rough, you can generally get the dirt out. but if they have any slop in them I toss them......

I think, when the bearing gets dirt in it, it scatches the inside of the bearing.......then you clean it all out and you can feel the scatches on the various parts in the bearing. Then when you put in the oil it helps fill the scratches and the bearing feels smoother........
Old 01-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default ball bearing maintenance

We know that hardcore racers maintain their bearings and for good reason: racing requires oiled ball bearings NOT greased ball bearings. Greased bearings will not feel gritty as soon because the heavy grease dampens the noise caused by tiny dirt particles BUT it also severely slows the bearing down. So they will still have grit or dirt in them you just wont feel or hear it as much, making you think that cleaning is not necessary. For racing, greased bearings are okay for the clutch area but not for wheels and transmission as they will slow down the car.

Furthermore the tighter the bearing seal is around the ball bearing inner race the more it slows the bearing down.
If you want to go fast you must use an oiled ceramic bearing (like ACER Racing Ceramic Nitride Pro Series bearings) with a properly engineered bearing seal tolerance that strikes a perfect balance between keeping out the elements while allowing free rotation of the bearing.

If necessary, clean with RPM bearing blaster and motor cleaner without removing the seals BUT make sure to wait for it to dry before relubing with a fully synthetic ball bearing oil (NOT grease) like ACER Racing SIN lube. Not waiting for it to dry will cause the motor cleaner to eat away at the lube leaving a dry ball bearing.

Hope this helps!
ACER Racing :
THE Fastest, Smoothest, Lightest and HARDEST Balls in the INDUSTRY

Last edited by acerracing; 01-27-2009 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added a link
Old 01-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Tech Lord

7.99$ a Each ....Ill keep my "slow" grease filled 1$ a piece bearings thank you.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Integra
7.99$ a Each ....Ill keep my "slow" grease filled 1$ a piece bearings thank you.
What bearing oil does everyone use? How much is the 3 in 1 oil slowing me down if at all?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.