Search

What do use on your bevel gear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motoclay
+1

haha, thats why i retracted my previous post, i was kinda being a smart ass about everyone putting grease in the diff. That makes absolutely no sense hahaha. Those spider gears run in thick oil all the time. Putting grease in there would just make a mess. And on the ring and pinion you can only use so much, most of it is squished out almost immediately anyway.
no I meant ring and pinion. I have an X2 and they call it the bevel gear. I've looked around though and it always says grease. I was just curious because of the plastics involved I know some auto grease will eat at plastics and others will make seals swell and/or disolve. I thought it was an important place of wear and there didn't seem to be much literature on it.

I was using axle grease (the red stuff) and was wondering about viscosity and grit issues.

This turned into a good thread though.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

any grease that is high temp, high tensile strength is what i would use. No graphite or his speed or ne thing like that. Mystic makes some good stuff, also Lucas.

In Fact, we got some high temp lucas grease, it was like 5 bux or something for the tube for a gun. We packed clutch bell bearings with it, those bearings just keep goin and goin.

I wish the diff cases were sealed with O-ring type seals so you could actually run the gears in oil as well. Oil and grease packed metal parts will run forever. Ie. the spider gears in the diff. I dont even see how they could EVER wear just completely out. The plastic cup will go before the spiders and pins.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Phil Wood waterproof (duh) bicycle grease works great for me.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Adept

a long while back i had a rc18t and it came with some associated "black grease" will this work? its a tiny tube but if i can use it might as well right?
Old 01-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
Mobile synthetic, buy it at any auto shop, its a red paste, comes in a tub, $6, enough for life!
.....I use it on ring/pinion gears
Old 01-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by heeltoedrver
a long while back i had a rc18t and it came with some associated "black grease" will this work? its a tiny tube but if i can use it might as well right?
that's what i use! came with my Robinson Racing gear's.....
Old 01-21-2009, 09:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Yup, Associated Black grease for me too. Don't even remember how long ago I bought it. Probably back when I was racing 2wd electric. Can you still get it?
Old 01-22-2009, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I use Lucas Red N Tacky
Old 01-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by sugs
Yup, Associated Black grease for me too. Don't even remember how long ago I bought it. Probably back when I was racing 2wd electric. Can you still get it?
i have no idea if you can still get it or not, and honestly im not going to go looking either, not when i can go to the local hardware shop and get enough to last 3 lifetimes for like 5 bucks.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:11 AM
Tech Adept

i have no idea if you can still get it or not, and honestly im not going to go looking either, not when i can go to the local hardware shop and get enough to last 3 lifetimes for like 5 bucks.
Ill second that. The "hobby specific" stuff is most of the time repackaged, relabled and overpriced items you can get at a much larger value somewhere else.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I used ureka pro lube all last season and it worked great. It is a little pricey for that tube. Got a big 1 lb tub of mobile 1 synthetic grease at pepboys for about 9 bucks,I use it in the bearings. I may try that on the ring and pinion juist for kicks.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by NCWC
Ill second that. The "hobby specific" stuff is most of the time repackaged, relabled and overpriced items you can get at a much larger value somewhere else.

Sorry guys, I was just curious if Associated still sells it, wasn't suggesting to go out and get it. I'm sure it's just repackaged automototive lube of some sort.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:38 AM
Tech Adept

Sorry guys, I was just curious if Associated still sells it, wasn't suggesting to go out and get it. I'm sure it's just repackaged automototive lube of some sort.
No apology needed here buddy. I was just offering some friendly advice to help save you a little dough. Im sure the other dude was doin the same.
Old 01-23-2009, 06:45 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (100%+)

Yes Associated still sells it (ASC 6588). I like it, I mean its like only 2 bucks a tube and a lot easier to keep in your toolbox than the tub o grease.
Old 01-24-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

For the ring & pinion use a small dab of black moly grease. You can pick up a small tube at any auto parts store for a few dollars and it'll last a long time. For the diffs (out drives, o-rings, etc) at the same auto parts store you can get a tube of Mobil 1 synthetic grease that'll last you a lifetime.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.