Community
Wiki Posts
Search

heat gun/break-run-in

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 12:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

My first nitro was a Tmaxx about 5 years ago, and broke it in with 3 inches of snow on the ground. I look back and now know why it took forever to get that thing to start up.

Now, I use a heat gun to preheat the engine no matter what the ambient air temp is.
Old 01-17-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Rookie

//www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/article_display.cfm?article_id=397
Old 01-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BOOST
So why argue with someone who has '20+' years experience??? If you don't want to take the advice and learn a thing or two then go ahead and do it your way and find out the hard way!!!
Man why are u bustin his balls for asking a question to get some other opinions. Thats why they have this site to ask questions but comments like that make some people not post.....not cool. GROW UP
Old 01-17-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JBURCH
Man why are u bustin his balls for asking a question to get some other opinions. Thats why they have this site to ask questions but comments like that make some people not post.....not cool. GROW UP
+1 JBURCH
Old 01-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by BOOST
So why argue with someone who has '20+' years experience??? If you don't want to take the advice and learn a thing or two then go ahead and do it your way and find out the hard way!!!
The way I read the original post was that '8&stuff' wanted to preheat his engine cos he read it here or whatever.... and a person who has been in the hobby for 20yrs said there is no need to preheat etc (we all know one of them don't we )
Old 01-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark_Australia
The way I read the original post was that '8&stuff' wanted to preheat his engine cos he read it here or whatever.... and a person who has been in the hobby for 20yrs said there is no need to preheat etc (we all know one of them don't we )
The guy i argued w/has broke in .18 engines&less.only about 2or3 .21's. iv got every tool in the book including a killer mac heat gun. iv also broke in more than a dozen .21's to .28's. first was an rtr with roto start, no heat gun and that engines got about 5 gallons and going strong. Iv had 1 failure, a rebuilt vspec that failed cause of 2 runnaways(spectrum dx2.0 antenna wire inside radio became detached and when youd get 5' away it'd take off(i now break them in manually, no radio). every engine since iv used a heat gun and had farely good results. iv been hammerring the heat gun on the back of crankcase til it gets to about 180 and they normally fire right up. I appreciate all the replys and just wondered feelings on pre heating compared to natual expansion. i dont believe il ever "not use" a heat gun unless im experimenting.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JBURCH
No need to get your g-srting in a twist....I read it wrong and I apologise...my bad....I was having a bad morning because it looked like our race day was going to be cancelled. But the clouds went away and the sun was shining. Oh yea .....USE A HEAT GUN!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jasandsrc8
You need a heat gun to help with the heat cycle during break-in. You have to keep the engine really rich during this cycle, thus the engine will not heat up enough. You need to get it up to 180-185 during break-in and try to keep it there during this process. This is the best break-in process I have found.
no offense as people seemed to have turned this thread into a bitch fest ...but an engine really needs to about at least 220f or well at least 200f ....if your heat cycling it .. thats mho
Old 01-18-2009, 08:42 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by zixxer
no offense as people seemed to have turned this thread into a bitch fest ...but an engine really needs to about at least 220f or well at least 200f ....if your heat cycling it .. thats mho
The point being is to build some heat in it. You say 220. That's a little warmer than I get mine. I'm sure you have done your break-in that way and it works for you. I prefer to get it up to 185ish. The only engine I have ran at 220 is my Dynamite and that's while racing.lol. There's a few ways of break-in. Find your way and run with it. As long as it works for you.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

yall confirmed what i figured. I wasnt trying to start an arguement with this old freind(and i say old friend cause this arguemnet got bad, and he made it that we arnt friends any longer lol). it only makes sense to use a heat gun