Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8eight Or Hotbodies D8????

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 05:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Default Losi 8eight Or Hotbodies D8????

Hey guys, could you help me out on wich car to buy?? Pros and Cons... i really like the Losi.. but who knows..

Thanks
Mike
Old 01-10-2009, 05:55 AM
Tech Elite

Why not buy the one you like? /thread
Old 01-10-2009, 05:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Why not buy the one you like? /thread
LOL!! i know but.... help me decide...thanks!!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:03 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

I have driven both. Yes I am a Hot Bodies driver but, here is my unbiased opinion.
The Losi is MUCH more aggressive! It does seem to be faster but not as consistent. I broke a lot more parts with the Losi and I only had the 1.0 not the 2.0 so I don't know about the new version.

The D8 is much more stable. A little slower lap to lap but much more consistent. I have only broken 1 drive shaft with the D8 and it was the older version of the shaft.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Fred Perkins
I have driven both. Yes I am a Hot Bodies driver but, here is my unbiased opinion.
The Losi is MUCH more aggressive! It does seem to be faster but not as consistent. I broke a lot more parts with the Losi and I only had the 1.0 not the 2.0 so I don't know about the new version.

The D8 is much more stable. A little slower lap to lap but much more consistent. I have only broken 1 drive shaft with the D8 and it was the older version of the shaft.
I read somewere that the 2.0 parts are stronger, is that true?? i friend of mine has the 1.0 and bought the arms from the 2.0 and they seem alot stronger..., if thats true i think im going with the Losi 1.0, ive seen it drive and it looks great!!!!
Old 01-10-2009, 06:11 AM
Tech Champion

I am not sure. I did not drive or have a 2.0
Old 01-10-2009, 06:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Get the D8
Old 01-10-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Regular

A good thing about Losi is that theres parts EVERYWERE, dont see to much online hobby shops carrying hotbodies.. a friend of mine has a D8 and hes having problems finding parts..
Old 01-10-2009, 06:29 AM
Tech Champion

If you feel parts are a problem. Then yes go with the one that is supported locally. HB parts can be gotten buy any hobby shop that orders HPI parts. Parts are also available online through HB or any online retailer.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Parts for the HB are not hard to find, Stormer hobbies, Tower hobbies, Amain hobbies, Carolina Hobbies....just to name a few. Not to mention the ppl who part out new buggies and put new parts on ebay. I had no problem finding spare replacement parts for my pitbox, but have not had any breakages yet (knock on wood), it has been a very durable buggy.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

i personally say go with the d8. i have/had both the losi 1.0 and 2.0. personally they are not forgiving Rigs. they are very fast, but miss a beat and your all squirly and everywhere. for a well season driver this makes it fast and agile, for us club racers/partial sponsored drivers that means less consistent lap times.

the d8 in the other hands is a little bit slower, but much more forgiving then the losi.

also the hb has some new parts coming out this month for the d8 which are suppose to be much lighter. i have most of the parts besides the chassis.

it really makes a difference.

good luck!
Old 01-10-2009, 07:37 AM
Tech Adept

my first car was a losi 8ight 1.0
i now have a D8...my driving has improved 10XX with the D8 over the losi
i ended up buying two kits and only assembling one of them...keeping the second one for parts...the price ended up only being a little bit more than buying one of another brands kits. and now i have one of EVERYTHING extra.

plus the two guys that i race every weekend with bought theirs i followed suit. it makes it easier cause we all share spare parts.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)

I would suggest if you have any fellow racers local to you ask them if you can try their car during practice or at the end of the day. Where I race we are like one big family, I have no problem letting somebody I know wheel my car at the end of the day, all I ask if they break something just replace it or throw me a couple of dollars to fix it. I had three guys try my truggy at the end of the day and they loved it! Ask, what's the worst that could happen.

Team LOSI and you will never look back!!!

Last edited by aaron joy; 01-10-2009 at 09:11 AM.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:34 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 440 (99%+)

An unbiased opinion would be to get whatever appeals more to YOU. Get what you like the looks of and what YOU will be overall more happy with. No need in buying one and then selling it to fund getting the other. Both have pros and cons like previously mentioned.

Losi is lighter but less stable at times

D8 is more stable but heavier than the losi

Losi DOES jump better and just has that "pop" off of face jumps

D8 jumps well too just a tad lower due to weight

D8 comes with one piece motor mount where the losi doesn't

They are both tough cars and like any comparison between vehicles there is always varying opinions. Some claim the losi is worn out after one tank and others like ME have put 5 gallons on a losi buggy without replacing anything.

In the end go with what you want. You can get parts for either one at just about any hobby shop and if your lhs doesn't carry the parts just tell them too and most likely they will get you some stuff in. If they don't then they aren't worth spending your money with.

My biased opinion is to get the LOSI 100%..........
Old 01-10-2009, 09:19 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I have owned both and still have the D8.

The dilemna with questions like this is because people have different natural tendencies with their driving styles. There is no question the 8ight is a great buggy, it just so happens that it wasn't the best buggy for ME. The D8 is much more stable but doesn't have that "edge" that the 8ight has. I could turn an individual lap faster with the 8ight than with the D8 but if I made even the slightest mistake, it was all over. With the D8, I have yet to turn an individual lap as fast as with the 8ight but overall I am faster just due to consistency. After running the 8ight for nearly a whole season (with many hours of experience with it), I did better during my first race with the D8 with only 2 hours of practice. For ME, the "edge" of the 8ight was a detractor whereas for someone like Drake it is a benefit.

As for wear, the 8ight did seem to wear faster than any buggy I have ever had. However, parts were relatively inexpensive so I didn't mind too much. I got the D8 right before the weather turned "stupid cold" here in Illinois so I can't comment on the long term wear yet but initial impressions are that it will wear better than the 8ight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.