Wiki Posts
Search

nitro basics

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Exclamation nitro basics

okay, i havent got my GS XUT yet, but i have a few questions about the basics.
  1. how do i start a car with my glow igniter?
  2. how do i apply after run oil?
  3. is there a certain temperature that i have to achive to play with the car?
  4. if i have a gallon of fuel in "jug A", and i fill up a 500cc fuel bottle to the top, and i only use half of the fuel in the 500cc fuel bottle, which leaves 250cc of fuel left, do i pour the remaining 250cc back into "jug A"? or do i dispose of it? is the remaining 250cc of fuel contaminated?
Your help is much needed,
Old 12-27-2008, 05:44 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Most glow ingnitors have a clamp or twist method that secure it to the top of the glowplug. Simply insert the glow ignitor ensuring a snug fit and place the vehicle on the starter box or pull on the pull start.

After run oil is the simplest 10 seconds of saving a motors life. Just take your wrench and loosen the glowplug until it twist out. A goos method is to put the car on the rear bumper and loosen the plug. This will ensure that the copper gasket comes out and you dont accidently get dirt in the engine when trying to get it witha needle nose. Apply 2 drops and turn the engine over, apply another 2 and turn the engine over. Put the plug in the same way you took it out ans ensure a snug fit. Dont over tighten!

Read the manual and the manufacture should adress the temperature you should stay within

As long as you imedietly put the cap on the bottle on you can pour it back in. However do not take any fuel from the tank and but it back in the jug. I carry a small water bottle to dump old fuel in and then take it to a car mechanic for them to dispose of correctly

Hope this helps and have fun!
Old 12-27-2008, 05:54 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Nitroburner9
Most glow ingnitors have a clamp or twist method that secure it to the top of the glowplug. Simply insert the glow ignitor ensuring a snug fit and place the vehicle on the starter box or pull on the pull start.

After run oil is the simplest 10 seconds of saving a motors life. Just take your wrench and loosen the glowplug until it twist out. A goos method is to put the car on the rear bumper and loosen the plug. This will ensure that the copper gasket comes out and you dont accidently get dirt in the engine when trying to get it witha needle nose. Apply 2 drops and turn the engine over, apply another 2 and turn the engine over. Put the plug in the same way you took it out ans ensure a snug fit. Dont over tighten!

Read the manual and the manufacture should adress the temperature you should stay within

As long as you imedietly put the cap on the bottle on you can pour it back in. However do not take any fuel from the tank and but it back in the jug. I carry a small water bottle to dump old fuel in and then take it to a car mechanic for them to dispose of correctly

Hope this helps and have fun!
turn the engine over, meaning spreading the oil over places by moving the engine right?
Old 12-27-2008, 05:59 AM
Tech Regular

i read an article in rc411.comhttp://www.rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=52&page=1 it says, after i burn up the excess fuel, i have to apply denatured alcohol in the tank and swoosh it around a bit, do i have to do this after a daily run everyday? what are the examples of denatured alcohol? is WD-40 a denatured a/c?
Old 12-27-2008, 06:14 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

i will tell you this, because this happens to alot of beginners and they get out of nitro because of it.
1st be patient and take your time, check things out before you try and start it.
2nd make sure glow igniter is charged, starter box or rotor start batt is charged or whatever it is you will use to start it unless it is a pull cord.
3rd you may have to tune it EVERY time you run it, sometimes you dont have to touch the carb but be prepared.
4th if it does not start, make sure fuel is getting to the carb, glow plug is good, igniter is charged. when you try to start it and fuel is comeing out of the exhaust it is too rich etc....
5th and be patient!!!

these are just a few things that i have seen take people out of the hobby.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:20 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by r1harper
i will tell you this, because this happens to alot of beginners and they get out of nitro because of it.
1st be patient and take your time, check things out before you try and start it.
2nd make sure glow igniter is charged, starter box or rotor start batt is charged or whatever it is you will use to start it unless it is a pull cord.
3rd you may have to tune it EVERY time you run it, sometimes you dont have to touch the carb but be prepared.
4th if it does not start, make sure fuel is getting to the carb, glow plug is good, igniter is charged. when you try to start it and fuel is comeing out of the exhaust it is too rich etc....
5th and be patient!!!

these are just a few things that i have seen take people out of the hobby.
i am patient, but these are the thing that i wanna know before buying a truggy ya know? meaning i want to be ready
Old 12-27-2008, 06:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by redza
i read an article in rc411.comhttp://www.rc411.com/pages/howto.php?howto=52&page=1 it says, after i burn up the excess fuel, i have to apply denatured alcohol in the tank and swoosh it around a bit, do i have to do this after a daily run everyday? what are the examples of denatured alcohol? is WD-40 a denatured a/c?
NO WD40 is not denatured alcohol. You an buy DNA at any grocery store. I don't know anyone who does that, emptying the tank is enough... hell I don't even do that unless I know the car will be stored for a while.
Old 12-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Tech Regular

owwwh, right. so if im finished running it for the day, id just empty the tank and burn the fuel?
Old 12-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Are you buying this at a hobby store? Trust me they will help you if you have any problems. Alot of people buy online because it may be $50 bucks cheaper but when you buy at the store you get much more personal attention because they do remember people who come in and drop some serious money on this hobby. I bought my first T-maxx from a hobby store and i was in their every day the first week and they took the time to go out int he parking lot and make sure i had my first nitro down correctly.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:25 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

youtube has some awesome videos about starting a nitro car, tuning and etc.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Nitroburner9
Are you buying this at a hobby store? Trust me they will help you if you have any problems. Alot of people buy online because it may be $50 bucks cheaper but when you buy at the store you get much more personal attention because they do remember people who come in and drop some serious money on this hobby. I bought my first T-maxx from a hobby store and i was in their every day the first week and they took the time to go out int he parking lot and make sure i had my first nitro down correctly.
no, hobby shop. yeah, the people there are really friendly and helpful.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

try these links

http://www.rchobbies.org/cars_troubleshooting.htm

http://www.rchobbies.org/cars_eng-tuning.htm

http://www.rchobbies.org/understanding_fuel.htm

http://www.rchobbies.org/cars_nitro_tasks.htm

they helped me out when i first started about 3 years ago

good luck

oh if no body said this ...make sure you get a good quality nickle metal hydride reciever pack ...and make sure you charge it often ...you hobby store should have plenty to choose from
Old 12-27-2008, 10:36 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Hey redza you started out looking at these buggys.

Between a losi 8eight and a baja 5b ss and a baja 5b rtr, which would you pick? and does a gas rc car use petrol? whats the difference between a gas powered rc car an a nitro powered rc car?
Solo racer....
im 13...
im NOT too young to race. dont underestimate me

And now you are looking at truggys. If you wont a Good truggy get a Losi 8 Truggy they are on sale right now for 299.99 at A Maine Hobbies. If you will take time and look at other Threads you will see just the info you are looking for TAKE TIME AND READ.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by thenova70ss
Hey redza you started out looking at these buggys.

Between a losi 8eight and a baja 5b ss and a baja 5b rtr, which would you pick? and does a gas rc car use petrol? whats the difference between a gas powered rc car an a nitro powered rc car?
Solo racer....
im 13...
im NOT too young to race. dont underestimate me

And now you are looking at truggys. If you wont a Good truggy get a Losi 8 Truggy they are on sale right now for 299.99 at A Maine Hobbies. If you will take time and look at other Threads you will see just the info you are looking for TAKE TIME AND READ.
this is the best deal around in malaysia i guess, because this car has all the parts at the LHS and if i need anything id just go there and ask them. this truggy is a "race-able" truggy. its not so "susah" ( hard in malay) to get parts for this car over here. they have everything. from chassis to tiny little things and you never know they existed. and yeah, i know i know you guys would rather pick losi over GS racing, but this is good enough to make me happy and not to make me worry where to get parts.