Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Ceramic Bearings Through out the Chassis? >

Ceramic Bearings Through out the Chassis?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ceramic Bearings Through out the Chassis?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Ceramic Bearings Through out the Chassis?

It is about time for me to be replacing the bearings through out my 8th scale buggy. Just wondering do the ceramics really free up the drive train enough to warrant spending the extra cash for them? Thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 07:44 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Until this year I did not run ceramics in my car. I run advantage bearings and I have been running ceramics and it does free it up they are a little lighter and all the guys I know running them on the team get 6 months or more using them and these guys race almost every weekend. I dont mean no maintenance I mean blowing them out and droping some oil on them. Carolinasrc.com sales complete ceramic kits from advantage for around 69.99.
Old 12-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Tech Adept

Thanks, sounds like they are worth it to me then. thanks
Old 12-12-2008, 08:01 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Advantage Ceramics are very good quality and spin true and free. They also have regular bearings for clutch and other applications that are very good quality and priced right.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:00 AM
Tech Adept

I had used several brands of bearings and have had the best luck with Boca. Not just saying that because they sponsor me but I TRULY love their products. I am currently using the ultra yellow seal ceramics. They are maintenance free and I have had them in mud twice now and on a very high grit track and NONE of the bearings are crunchy and I don't have to clean them.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:25 PM
Tech Addict

I would say dont put them in a beater or practice car, but its probably worth a shot in a race car. Thats a lot of coin considering AVID bearings are $1.00 each., thats about an $18.00 complete set for most cars. Put the ceramics in when your going to the "big show", NATs, Worlds, or larger two day races.
Old 12-12-2008, 01:35 PM
Tech Adept

I actually got a set of ceramics coming from Boca. Thanks for the replys. I will be using them in my race buggy. I dont think I will get an invite to the worlds but o well. I will give them a shot and see how I like them.
Old 12-12-2008, 02:24 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

considering how well david joor takes care of people, i wont buy bearings from any1 but avid. since this is in a nitro forum, considerin most vehicles use 18 main bearings (no steering racks etc --for those i honestly prefer bushings), at 18bux, i can buy almost 4 sets at same price of 1 ceramic. and not worry bout them blowin apart in that hectic arena of 1/8 scale. i still refuse to use em in offroad period, even 1/10 2wd. onroad lil different, where elements and jumps need not apply. choice is urs.

avid still sells ceramics if have to have em.

R
Old 12-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Anyone ever compare the weight difference between a full set of ceramics versus steel? Just wondering how much weight the ceramics save.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:18 AM
Tech Adept

I didn't weigh them but the Boca yellow seals are about half the weight of the stock Losi bearings.

Also, for the clutch I usually just use the $1 version of bearings. Ceramics work fine here but they can and will fail just like any other bearing. With the $1 bearings if the clutch comes apart then it gets new bearings. Not too expensive and I haven't had a clutch failure for a long time. Knock on wood.
Old 12-13-2008, 08:54 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

last feb i bought ceramic clutch bearings from boca for my rc8 they were like $40 for 4 and I am stiil using the first two haven't needed the second two yet. awesome bearings spin true and free.

+1 for Boca
Old 12-13-2008, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Speaking of BOCA, they have these new ceramic bearings that are completely ceramic: balls, race AND cage. No clue what these cost, but it's likely not cheap. Looks very interesting though, I wonder how they'd hold up to the abuse of off-roading.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:45 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by captain america
Speaking of BOCA, they have these new ceramic bearings that are completely ceramic: balls, race AND cage. No clue what these cost, but it's likely not cheap. Looks very interesting though, I wonder how they'd hold up to the abuse of off-roading.
My friend was telling me about those, I bet they will be a little pricey.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Adept

http://www.bocabearings.com/main1.aspx?p=docs&id=16

I think you are talking about the "mini full ceramic". I have yet to try these. If you have any question about Boca just email Jay. He's a very nice guy and can direct you in the correct path you are looking for whether it's based on budget or ultimate performance.

Also make sure to check out there full line of lubes as well!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Ouch! If I read that listing on their site correctly the 5X10X4's run $69 EACH for full ceramic! I just can't imagine paying for a complete set for a buggy or truggy. You could easily spend as much on the bearings as the rest of the kit and engine combined.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.