Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Newbie question: What are the highest quality manufacturers? >

Newbie question: What are the highest quality manufacturers?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Newbie question: What are the highest quality manufacturers?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

Oasis you are correct I have not worked on a Savage in prb. 2 yrs. but I rembered it being a total PITA, I strictly race 1/8 buggies and truggies nowadays. these threads are hard as everyone has their own prefrence and with so many options out there anymore any choice is going to be a good one. but with all RTR trucks/cars be ready to drop in new servos sooner then later and maybe upgrade the radio system to something with more bells and whistles. this is a great hobby but it can be expensive as well.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blktransam
Oasis you are correct I have not worked on a Savage in prb. 2 yrs. but I rembered it being a total PITA, I strictly race 1/8 buggies and truggies nowadays. these threads are hard as everyone has their own prefrence and with so many options out there anymore any choice is going to be a good one. but with all RTR trucks/cars be ready to drop in new servos sooner then later and maybe upgrade the radio system to something with more bells and whistles. this is a great hobby but it can be expensive as well.
I help out at a hobby shop working on customers cars/trucks and the one's we all hate seeing are the T-Maxx and the Revo's..both major PITA to work on..The HPI guys have really done a great job on making the Savage much easier to work on.
Old 11-29-2008, 02:14 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Oasis
Obivously you haven't worked on a Savage recently, It's like working on a 1/8 scale truggy, you can get to the diffs by removing 4 screws, to get to the tranny it's 6 screws and you dont have to take the tranny out of the truck either.It's a lot easier than working on a LST or a T-Maxx or Revo..Out of all the MT's the Savage is NOW the easiest to work on..period..I would get the Savage XL..it's a beast..
HUH I obly have to take out 6 screws and my Diff drops out on my LST2... If you have never owned one or worked on one don't comment on it... In fact if you do the bumper Mod or the rear it's only 4 screws to take out the diffs..
Old 11-29-2008, 05:38 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LosiMadMan
HUH I obly have to take out 6 screws and my Diff drops out on my LST2... If you have never owned one or worked on one don't comment on it... In fact if you do the bumper Mod or the rear it's only 4 screws to take out the diffs..
I have owned just about every LOSI ever made....Really..LST, LST2, Muggy, 8T, 8, The list goes back to the original JRX..
and if you read my post I help out at a hobby shop that works on ALL RC Cars..In fact I owned a hobby shop/race track..so yes I have also worked on a few in my day..
Old 11-29-2008, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 66 (99%+)

I would start your son out on a Losi 8ight rtr. It will be dialed for him to learn on, and you have a dsm radio that is very reliable. If and when he feels like he wants to compete, you can put pro kit parts on and beef it up, or even start making it a 2.0 for that matter. Then you can add a Novarossi bf.21 engine/Dynamite pipe and a bump box and your all set. Losi parts support is very strong everywhere, and that means a lot. I switched to Losi because thats what my LHS carries, its easy for me to get 8ight parts when I need them, and we are only a couple hrs from Horizon Hobby, so the LHS gets things in like a day when I need them with no shipping cost........anyways, you cant go wrong with Losi, great product, and wonderful customer support,. I wish you and your son luck in finding what fits him best.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/9754
Old 11-29-2008, 10:22 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Just a thought.... IMHO.... I know they are all different (kids I mean) but I wonder that a 1/8 nitro may be a bit much for a 10 y/o?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:38 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by pwnzor
I would start your son out on a Losi 8ight rtr. It will be dialed for him to learn on, and you have a dsm radio that is very reliable. If and when he feels like he wants to compete, you can put pro kit parts on and beef it up, or even start making it a 2.0 for that matter. Then you can add a Novarossi bf.21 engine/Dynamite pipe and a bump box and your all set. Losi parts support is very strong everywhere, and that means a lot. I switched to Losi because thats what my LHS carries, its easy for me to get 8ight parts when I need them, and we are only a couple hrs from Horizon Hobby, so the LHS gets things in like a day when I need them with no shipping cost........anyways, you cant go wrong with Losi, great product, and wonderful customer support,. I wish you and your son luck in finding what fits him best.

+1 or an 8ight T RTR. both come with dsm radios, decent engines and are very durable aswell as upgradable. This way your son can have fun at home and if he does decide he wants to race you are pretty much ready. Plus wrenching on a true 1/8 based platfrom is much easier and simpler than most things.

Here are some links
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/13687

These may seem a little pricy but you are getting a good, long lasting engine and a spektrum DSM radio with crystal free, interference free security. no worrying about frequencies with this radio.
Old 11-30-2008, 12:45 PM
Tech Rookie

Guys - Thanks a TON for all of the great feedback. It sounds like we should stick with 1/10 scale. I will take all of your feedback into consideration when choosing a manufacturer/model. I have rebuilt just about everything that there is to rebuild on a "real" car, so I am not too concerned about working on these cars, unless one model is hugely more difficult to work on than another.

Now, I need to do a little research on the models that you all recommended, then I will pull the trigger.

Thanks again guys!!
Old 12-02-2008, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Look at the thunder Tiger ready to run truggy. Good value , very tough & easy to tune engine and fast.It is very racable too. Easier to drive than a buggy.tires will last longer & can handle grass a bit better . He could driver a truggy faster on a track ,I would think than a monster truck. LOCAL parts are a plus if you break something ,so take it into consideration. People are talking about savings with MSN live search but I'm not sure how it works.
Seen jatos on tracks not great on handeling IMHO.