Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Between these three......

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 06:55 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Well the truth actually is they are all great buggy's whether dated or not. Dated buggy's are still kicking butt. Some people are trying to sell you on the latest nd greatest the truth is the newer buggys are not that much better than the previous models some minor upgrades and fixes is all. The older models are stil kicking butt and taking names. Not everyone ran out and bought a new one. Fact is a late model can be had for quite cheap and still out run a new model with relative ease in the right hands.

Don't make your choice on what someone elses opinion might be of a ride. Make your choice based on the one you like the most. ALL buggys have quirks and I do mean ALL. There is no such thing as the perfect buggy. Just the one thats perfect for you. That would usually be the one that you like because of whatever reason. You will always want to spend time with it just based on you love for the ride. Hence making you a better mechanic and driver just do to time spent out of like not out of necessity. Not viewing maintenance as some chore that must be done but some fun to be had.

Just a little secret you can keep it between you and I. It's not the buggy its the driver a good driver overcomes mythical buggy greatness everytime.
Old 11-27-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by scapbell7
I would say go with what ever car you are leaning more to. If you change your mind and go with a different car then what you thought you wanted and you are not happy with what you got then you will more than likely dump the one you got and spend some more $ and get another kit.

I am slowly learning that if you dont like a certain car because of the way it handles stick with it start learning more about set up and get the car to handle the way you want it to, all of the kits that have been mentioned are all awesome kits, and in the hands of a good driver can out run one another. I myself was quick to dump a kit and not spend much time trying to get it to handle.

As mentioned in some other post be aware of some of the negative responses about some of the kits unless it is coming from a reliable source.
I agree with this. Overall most of the kits listed are real good. I think if you get what really catches your eye you'll be happy.
I have heard some good things about customer service with most of the brands listed. I personally have broke one axle on my D8 that seems to be a common problem and Hotbodies sent me 4 revised replacements no questions asked. This along with the easy maintenance and great handling that suits me has made me very happy with my D8. Those that say you get what you pay for and that the D8 is cheap and low quality don't own one.

The bottom line is get what makes you happy and you will not regret it!
Old 11-27-2008, 07:32 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Now you are getting some good feedback. Take heed to some of these last post and make your decision. And have fun with it.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:55 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ABURTON
I looked into the weights of the cars at the worlds to see what was the lightest. I had asked one of the tech guys....

At the worlds it seems the losi was the lightest car.

What does the new xray come in at? Do you know what the 2.0 weighs?

I'm just curious as I notice a few manf. and people claim a certain car is the "lightest" of all the cars.
I'm not sure of the out of box weight on the Losi 2.0, but it does have a 4mm chassis, while the Xray has a 3mm chassis. Thats a lot of metal/weight, and would be hard to make up by lightening other components. Extra weight isn't always a bad thing, as long as its not way over,.. like the stock D8. When I made the weight comment, I was talking stock weight comparison. I would say Both Losi and 808 are really close in weight and are both great cars. The running weight on my Xray 808 is currently 3240 grams, weighed at the last JBRL series race I ran. Lightest legal racing weight is 3200 grams. Anyone remember their Losi 2.0 weight?

At the worlds, we all know most of the cars had lightened/after market components and were not stock. I would say most of those cars were right near legal racing weight.
Old 11-27-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Adept

Go with the 2.0

I own one and absolutely love it

I've ran it once with a loaner engine and it ran amazing

First time out with a buggy and finished 5th

But I'd say go with one you can get parts for easiest

I know the ZO1B is fairly new so not many LHS carry parts

the RC8 is a little more popular so go with one that is easiest to get.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Go with what ever is most common of the 3 at your local tracks. They are all great cars, and there are alot of other great cars that you didn't list. If you go with the most common you will have lots of help with set-up and parts. In capable hands, any 1/8 buggy can win a race. I had an RC8 and liked it alot, never any issues with any parts breaking, but some issues with the tank (not a big problem). Now I race for TQ, running the Supercross 8. I have yet to run it, but if it handles anything like its quality I will be very happy. Good Luck!
Richard
Old 11-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lucky13
Go with what ever is most common of the 3 at your local tracks. They are all great cars, and there are alot of other great cars that you didn't list. If you go with the most common you will have lots of help with set-up and parts. In capable hands, any 1/8 buggy can win a race. I had an RC8 and liked it alot, never any issues with any parts breaking, but some issues with the tank (not a big problem). Now I race for TQ, running the Supercross 8. I have yet to run it, but if it handles anything like its quality I will be very happy. Good Luck!
Richard
I believe you'll like that SX8. I have seen Brian Kadow's run and it looked like it was on rails. I know he was very fast with it. He said at first it was a little loose in the rear but after a little setup it was great.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:56 AM
Tech Adept

Default THANKS!!!!!!!

I just want to say THANKS to everyone who replied...Your help is appreciated........Mike
Old 11-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by motomike122
I just want to say THANKS to everyone who replied...Your help is appreciated........Mike
Hey I'm curious why you wouldn't consider a MBX6?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:10 PM
Tech Regular

So what did you pick and are you happy with it?
Old 02-10-2009, 03:40 PM
Tech Adept

Go with the 8ight 2.0

I'm running the Drake Thunder Alley setup now on my local track and I'm running times close to Pro guys when I'm a sportsman driver

ps. I've only race 6 times with the buggy
Old 02-10-2009, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

If you plan to race at Wolcott, I'd steer clear of the OD bug. Don't think I'm knocking it, 'cause I'm not. I can tell you though, for a fact, that Lester doesn't carry parts for it. Granted he can and would gladly order for you, or you can order online...but racin ain't no fun when you're waitin for parts, lol. The Losi and AE bugs, I'm 95% sure will be supported well here. I can also say for fact that the XRay is well supported, as that is what Lester races. I am unfamiliar with what Chris @ RCMadness carries, but it might be worth looking into as well.
Old 02-10-2009, 04:06 PM
Tech Prophet

i just bought a losi 1.0 on sale for 300 and im still building and i can see that its a tuff buggy and its easy to build,its ny first buggy kit i put thougher the linkage and the brake setup is the hardest cause u have to measure them.
i was gone to get a d8 but my hobby store doest support them,ethier xray or mugen kyosho,but now my hobby store is closeing i could of got a d8 or a xray o well, i would remmond the losi eight. dont get a rc8 i saw a lot of guys break them i dont know if its the driver or the buggy.