Wiki Posts
Search

OS V-Spec vs. Max Power Mx 21 C5Q

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)
Default OS V-Spec vs. Max Power Mx 21 C5Q

Guys I am getting a new engine from my parents and our local shop has these two in stock. I just wanted some feedback on these engines if you dont mind. I have driven cars with V-Specs and I love them but I also know that usually they dont last as long as Nova based engines. SO please help me out! Thanks
Old 11-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Go with the Vspec if its the 2008 model. Awesome engine from what I've seen.
Old 11-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Tech Regular

I've had my experiences with the Vspec and it wasn't a nice one. Twice had bearing failures on the 2 gallon mark and had a rod blow up at 1 gallon. The Max Power line of motors on the other hand is awesome. I've been using their Max 21 M5B for two seasons and they have yet to let me down. The C5Q is ported and closely similar to the Vspec's crankshaft so I would expect the same performance but with a greater reliability because it's Novarossi based internals i.e crank, rod, sleeve (if you look at the side of the crankcase you'll see the the Novarossi name). One advice I would give when breaking in the engine is that it tunes differently if not the opposite from O.S. engines. It likes a slightly lean bottom with a slightly rich top end needle setting.

Last edited by Poppin Fresh; 11-13-2008 at 06:50 PM. Reason: *
Old 11-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would recommend the V-Spec
Old 11-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Tech Regular

Well you answered your own question in some ways.
I love vspecs but they really don't last as long as other brands my last vspec was leaking from every possible place... It still ran properly but run times droped significantly...
the secret of the v spec lies in the P3 plug as far as i'm concerned get any engine you like with a turbo insert drop a P3 plug in it and tune accordingly and you will be satisfied.
Right now i'm running an RB WS7 x3 with a p3 plug and OS 2050 Pipe i just had to retune my clutch and it was all good Vspec like power and RB reliability/ logevity not to mention i'm getting just over10 and a half minute run times.

Long story short, get the MX21 C5Q buy the turbo head insert and drop a p3 plug in there and you will be happy.

I know someone will come saying "you must use the manufacturers plug" but i'm talkin from first hand experience.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:49 PM
Tech Addict

+2

Go C5Q with turbo button. O'Donnell 97T also works well on Nova based engines, and they are a bit cheaper. Any Nova will outlast an OS,.. period.