Wiki Posts
Search

Ninja JX21 or O.S. 21VZ-B V-Spec-T (P)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 11:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (95%+)

Originally Posted by jpalessi
you are correct.. the GRP is the MR ninja.. the JX ninja on the other hand is a OS, made in the OS factory for Ninja. IMHO this is the best V Spec ever made. more reliable, more power, more run time, and a super smooth powerband.
I am not disagreeing with you but dollar 4 dollar the GRP Mills are alot of bang for the buck. When your talking at this level of motor it kind of the Ford vs Chevy Type conversation. And as far as longevity a poorly tuned motor with shitty fuel wont last very long.
Old 11-04-2008, 02:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robbdny
I am not disagreeing with you but dollar 4 dollar the GRP Mills are alot of bang for the buck. When your talking at this level of motor it kind of the Ford vs Chevy Type conversation. And as far as longevity a poorly tuned motor with shitty fuel wont last very long.
more like GRP =chevy and OS = Honda lol
and we both kno which is a better bang for the buck there jk man
Old 11-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Crim3Wav3
So jpalessi:

which is better: the JX or the EXtech...since you've been pushing both over the past few months...or is it just due to your EB connection that you now are not running the Trinity??? I mean, you were really trying to pimp the hell out of the Extech and now are doing the same for the JX.
what can i say.. I like what i run, and right now im running the JX. yes im not running the Ex Tech due to the eb/trinity split. Both are great engines! by no means im i a sponsored ninja driver or "pumping" the ninja up for Ed, he doesn't even do the ninja right now for the public. so again i just like what i run.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Joe,

That's cool.

Can you give a comparison for us?

I actually bought a JX about 6 months ago and have yet to break the seal on the box! I have however seen a couple of the Extechs run and have been amazed at the low end power and throttle response in general. I have not seen a JX on the track yet either.

I have not read or heard of anyone who has compared the two....so...could you hook us up with a comparison?
Old 11-04-2008, 08:37 PM
Tech Apprentice

[QUOTE=robbdny;5014258] I was told by GRP that the MR Ninjas and the GRPs are the same mill. /QUOTE]

Well you are wrong. The new GRP engines are similar to the Ninja engines. The most obvious difference is the crank bore. The bo1a is huge versus the small GRP. Power characterics are even more different. The bo1a has a okay bottom and better mid with and a good top whereas the GRP is crap down low and slightly better mid and good top. The GRP is super smooth and the Ninja is more explosive.

I had the Bo1a and a friend has the GRP tuned. We all prefer the OS speed over the GRP. We were out last week with our MBX6s mine with a speed and a friend with the ninja JX. The speed has more bottom and the JX more top. I spin the tires and he gets me at the end of the straights. I have 2 Ninja JX engines waiting in the box.

Both engines are good. Can't go wrong with either but I would choose the JX. For a lite weight like th 808 a JX for sure. Too much bottom end like the Vspec or speed will eat pinion gear bearings. I think the JX will give you a broader powerband for that buggy. There were 5 of us with the 808 last year all with differnt engines. I had the speed and others with Grp tuned, Vspec, C6 l2g, and JX. 3 of us felt the Jx had the best powerband for the 808. If you can wait I hear the V-Spec is to be redesigned for 2009. I heard talk of a 5 port.

Last edited by Toycar5; 11-04-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The JX is what the v spec should have always been, why OS doesnt make the internals the same as the speed or JX is beyond me, a political thing more than likley, or design reason.

The JX has a DLC crank, which the std spec should have, the rid pin has always caused a longevity issue, for very close to the same performance you get from a speed the JX does the job very well, and it's cheaper, and will last as long as the speed, and runtimes are very good, and let's not forget the good old carby, they tune like nothng else, the OS and JX both have there own feel, and they do feel different, and most people have ran or tried a v spec, but just from the longevity standpoint and added performance that shows on the track, the JX is hard to beat.

I was told by a good friend that at the worlds, there where a few guys running the JX, and then there was one, that he noticed that he said was at least 2 to 3 mph faster than any motor out there, so they will perform and win races, every calls it a 5 port v spec, well it's not a v spec, it's a MUGEN and it hauls the mail, and we do them for the public and have them in stock
Old 11-04-2008, 10:03 PM
Tech Adept

A friend and fellow racer purchased a JX crankcase and bearings when his V spec case cracked. The vspec rotating assy. fit beautiful and the mill poured out horsepower. Ive seen a JX in action with only maybe a gallon on it. It wasnt even tuned for peak performance and it was running real good. I also want to add my friend races an 808 and he thinks the V-Spec cracked because of chassis flex and the factory 808 engine mount.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:31 AM
Tech Elite

Crim3Wav3: you nailed it! The Ex Tech has incredible low end power, and a very fast response, but lacks a lil RPM compared to the V specs or JX.
The JX is the best V Spec ever made. Period! The JX has a much smoother response, with close to the same power low to mid. Both have similar run times. Like Brian said in the above post the OS carby tunes like nothing else. it's just a breeze!

Toycar5: I don't know everything about GRP, but i know a lil about a lil. Correct me if im wrong ,but i was told by a reliable source that the silver head grp is the BO1A w/ a standard button, and the Tuned GRP is the same as the MR"tuned"BO1A. As far as the OS engines, we are talking about splitting hairs, when it comes to power. We have dyno/track tested all of them,,, modded, not modded, you name it we tested it. The JX actually has more low end power, and response compared to the speed, and the speed makes a lil more top end rpm. Im not saying your wrong in your findings, but the results could have been due to the setup, pipe, plug, tune, clutch, fuel, car, ECT... oh yeah the new 09 5 port V spec you speak of, it's here, it's called the ninja JX.. lol JK Sorry Brian

NCWC: that was the smart move on your friends part. the JX case is much more reliable. that case and the DLC coating is what makes me love this engine, all the other new features are just a +

Last edited by jpalessi; 11-05-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)

I got a silly question... will the mug. jx heads fit on the vzb vspecs?

I just wanna see if the bolts line up cuz i know the jx's have a bigger case...
Old 06-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RyyRyy
I got a silly question... will the mug. jx heads fit on the vzb vspecs?

I just wanna see if the bolts line up cuz i know the jx's have a bigger case...
yes..btw
Old 06-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I would have loved to pick up a JX, but instead grab a stock V-Spec w/Speed crank and rod. How do u guys feel this setup will fare in comparison to the JX?