Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Another receiver pack question

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Tech Regular

Default Another receiver pack question

Okay guys, so I have a Reedy 5 cell 6V 1600mAh receiver pack and my brother has 2 Ofna packs, same specs and a Ofna 1700mAh 5 cell 6V pack. My Reedy pack says not to charge it at above .5 amps, but this takes a MISERABLY long time-would it be safe to charge it at even 1 amp or something? We plan on going to the track in just a few hours and we want them to be charged.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:34 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Yes, I usually charge them at 1.5 amps.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:36 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

the packs wont last as long (actual charge)...and the cell's themselves will have a shorter life span then normal.......but it can be done.
Old 10-12-2008, 08:37 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

It's safe to charge NiMH up to 1C. So for the 1500mah, you can charge it at a maximum rate of 1.5 amps.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:12 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys, they charged fully in a LOT less time, like an hour each(didn't look when it said completed, I couldn't really see from the sun's brightness when I came in from cutting the grass...)
Old 10-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Tech Master

Since I'm not really happy with the orion 1600 packs life span/quality I started cooking them at 1.6 amps. I come in from a race throw them on & their done when I come back from marshalling. I then let them cool for 10 min & peak again at .5 amps & get another 125 mah in. It is very bad to cook 2/3 A cells & even AA cells at 1c & you WILL loose life span & capacity quickly. The instruction for your charger or the instructions for anybody elses charger will clearly state that. Buy your cells at hobby people when they go on sale for $18 & its not a big deal. As for me when I stop being brokeass I'm going back to lipo; that has its own problem just ones that are out weighed by the big mah #s.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Unless you're running race spec 2/3a type cells in a rx pac, you'll cook the the higher capacity pacs charging at 1C - at the least you'll shorten their life span considerably. You don't want punch from a rx pac, you want long lasting power delivery - you get that by charging at lower rates like 1amp.

Normal, ordinary 2/3a cells (excepting GPs and IBs, and maybe Elites that are intended to run 18th scale electrics) which are mainly chinese cells, charge them at 1amp - and consider that a fast charge. Slow charging at 0.5amp will be even better.

Couldn't agree more with butch man!!!!