Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to clean a pipe??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

wow!! alot of interesting ways of cleaning...im on the band wagon of clean it when its only slightly dirty and there is no boiling or sanding or grinding, but hey,hind sights always 20/20
Old 10-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I remove my pipe when cleaning my ride after a weekend of racing and what not. I have a ceramic coated JP-3 and use one of those green dish scrubbing sponges with light dish soap and warmer to hot water. I have a couple plugs to keep the water from getting inside. Then just wipe clean as needed. When I had chrome pipes, I used the same method, except I used a Brillo pad (Slightly rubbing it not to cause a bunch of scratches. Wet sanding works well to, like Brillo, don't grind down to hard and take off the finish.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
dude! You have way tooooo much time on your hands! Pipe boiling for a day?!

That's just insane......................but................... ....Can I send you mine, for the next soup?!?! lol
dude, this is seriously the easiest and quickest way if you think about it. 5 minutes to throw them in the pot with the anti-freeze, and a day later just 5 minutes to clean them off.

Not like I sit there and watch it.

anyway, I got 3 crock pots when I got married 1 for food, one for cleaning pipes, and the last one is for taking up space in my closet.
Old 10-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
dude, this is seriously the easiest and quickest way if you think about it. 5 minutes to throw them in the pot with the anti-freeze, and a day later just 5 minutes to clean them off.

Not like I sit there and watch it.

anyway, I got 3 crock pots when I got married 1 for food, one for cleaning pipes, and the last one is for taking up space in my closet.
You know I was kinda making fun, but lots of people seem to agree with your method, and No I didn't think you stood there and watched it,lol, but my question to all of you is, why do you guys let your pipes get so damn disgusting that you need to boil them!?!?! LOL, a little TLC once a week, keeps the crock pots in the closet. Brush, wipe, spray regularly and you shouldn't have gunk that needs to be sand blasted off
Old 10-07-2008, 10:37 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

the outside of my pipe is always clean, this process gets all the gunk inside of the pipe. that stuff builds up and affects the performance of the pipe
Old 10-07-2008, 10:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 55 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jaz240
You know I was kinda making fun, but lots of people seem to agree with your method, and No I didn't think you stood there and watched it,lol, but my question to all of you is, why do you guys let your pipes get so damn disgusting that you need to boil them!?!?! LOL, a little TLC once a week, keeps the crock pots in the closet. Brush, wipe, spray regularly and you shouldn't have gunk that needs to be sand blasted off
IMHO... The polished pipes can not be kept clean with just basic cleanings. It's like the dirt gets cooked in the finish... IMO polished pipes on off road rc cars is stupid. I like the hard coated ones myself, much easier to keep clean..
When i was running V specs i had sent 2 2060's to get hard coat anodized, because i couldn't see spending over $200 on pipes that would look like shit in no time..
Old 10-07-2008, 10:47 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 52 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xlgraphicspro
the outside of my pipe is always clean, this process gets all the gunk inside of the pipe. that stuff builds up and affects the performance of the pipe
I seem to have no issues if I blast it out with Nitro blast every weekend after races while the inside gunk is still soft and sticky, but I'll give your method a shot, and see what I think
Old 10-15-2008, 11:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

One of the guys mentioned using oven cleaner on here. SO since I had some lying around I thought I would give it a try.

Let me tell you.. It works AWESOME. My pipe had a crap load of baked on junk and spray on the oven cleaner, wait 30 minutes and wiped it ALL off!

So impressed!

Thanks for the tip!
Old 10-15-2008, 12:20 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Akhor
One of the guys mentioned using oven cleaner on here. SO since I had some lying around I thought I would give it a try.

Let me tell you.. It works AWESOME. My pipe had a crap load of baked on junk and spray on the oven cleaner, wait 30 minutes and wiped it ALL off!

So impressed!

Thanks for the tip!
Your welcome
Old 10-21-2008, 06:34 AM

Trader Rating: 25 (96%+)

Will oven cleaner ruin the hard coated pipes?
Old 10-21-2008, 07:02 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RBMike
Wipe off the loose stuff, take the pipe outside & place it on a peice of cardboard (you will have to throw the carboard away when done). Spray the pipe with EASY-OFF oven cleaner & let it sit for 20+ minutes then hose it off. You may need to repeat if it was really gunky. Were rubber gloves when handling the pipe with the Easy-Off on it. This work great & requires almost no muscle work. DO NOT USE EAZY-OFF ON BLACK COATED PIPES, it will take the black coating off.
Don't use EASY-OFF on ANY pipe if you want it to have a nice finish. It's LYE, very caustic, will take off the finish no matter if it is hard coated or polished. (It works great for "de-anodizing" parts that are too "bling" though!)