Wiki Posts
Search

SH Z CAR

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default SH Z CAR

Anyone running these?? I know Dagani runs it and LRP has a rebaged version. I tried one and it seems pretty sweet so farhttp://www.shengines.com/Z-CAR/HOME.htm
I have made a few tweaks on it in the steering area and the suspension and it feels like a winner!!
Old 09-30-2008, 05:30 AM
Tech Elite

Here are some updated pics
http://www.offroad-cult.org/Board/lr...,start,10.html

German forum
Old 09-30-2008, 05:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

I`ve heard good things about it but never seen one run .
Old 09-30-2008, 05:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 72 (99%+)

TONS of rear traction!!!! One racer was driving the Zcar this weekend at the Alberta Pro Series final, lots of little changes from a typical 1/8 scale buggy.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:06 AM
Tech Regular

LRP is doing quite well here in south germany with these cars.
Suspension seems to be working really well on bumpy tracks. Steering looks very good, too.
But man, have a look at those brakes/linkages...
Old 09-30-2008, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Eric!!! Z Car???? When did this happen??

Colin
Old 09-30-2008, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

as swampracer said, a ton of rear forward bite but still rotates very well in the corners. Very durable as well. A couple of really good tumbles and it rolled away. Only thing I'm not liking is the pillow ball stuff. Never been my thing.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:03 PM
Tech Elite

This buggy seems like a sleeper.
I have been looking for set up advice but cant find any I will post up my set up soon feels pretty good!!
Old 09-30-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Adept

Set ups vary from one to another depending on how you drive. Personally, I run 3,3, 700wt. oil in my diffs and if feels pretty good. Don't have to go very thick on these diffs in the Z-Car as they are very efficient.

The shocks are also fairly efficient if you build them stock. If running the metal flap inside you might try using 30wt in front and maybe 35 in back.

Again, just because it works for one person doesn't mean it works for everyone. You'll just need to experiment some and determine what's best for you.

Scott- I hear ya on the pillow balls as I've always been fond of a C-Hub set up myself. However, this PBS allows more steering and seems to do quite well. So well, actually, that I'm not sure I like C-Hub set ups any longer.

triple6- The brake linkage may look odd to someone who doesn't have a Z-Car, but once you have one you can appreciate the set up and the quality of the brakes. No brake fade period. After a 45 minute main they were still good to go for more. Also remember that the Z-Car comes from the same company that makes SH Engines. Hence, the brake pads are like miniature pistons pressing on the brake rotors. Super strong and long wearing!

In order to understand the Z-Car you first must see one. A lot of the time you'll look at it and think 'wtf', but it's pretty ingenious the way they designed some of the components.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Eric sweet dude!compare it to your 8.5 for us.more or less travel?steering,and rear side bite.i dont speak me no german but at least they had lots of pictures!how about that rear arm mount,the front one,is it sturdier than it looks? i like that little clip thing that looks like its covering what should be a turnbuckle underneath.finally looks like somebody poured some new dna in the 1/8 gene-pool!you'll be shooing me outta yer pits weds!later!
Old 09-30-2008, 07:10 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Pillow ball can allow for more steering than a C Hub car, in the past. With the current crop of C Hub cars, that's not really true anymore.

The both have their weaknesses. King pins for c hubs and bent pillow balls for killing steering.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:19 PM
Tech Elite

Look I don't know this Eric guy you speak of, but I will say this car was a big suprise to me and anyone else brave enough to buy it The Z CAR has been out for a year with little support or recognition and it deserves a fair look and a thread for racers seeking set up advise and inquiries into the car. A Main Hobbies members can acquire it for 399.00. This car has flaws, parts are hard to locate,hobbypeople.net is the best source
http://www.hobbypeople.net/part/147245.asp
Also the thottle, brake linkage is not fun to set up and dial in The shock springs suck, the servo arms are far too flexible. The Z Car seems too good to be true once you overlook and correct these problems. The Z car has one huge + going for it and that is durability, not worrying about breaking is a big plus, the plastics are virtually indestructable, but you still have to check the usual maintenace areas, i.e. gear mesh, loose hardware , radio/wiring mishaps, engine tuning problems and the list goes around the block. I really like this car and want to keep a good up to date thead going for it
Old 09-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Tech Elite

current set up after one race nite:

Front end:
No Swaybar
2 roll ctr
68 mm steer rack
rear caster location
front inboard toe 1.5
full droop
2.0 pistons 70wt a.e oil
hobao grey buggy spring w/ hobao retainer with ground down sh shock ends
optional= grind lower arms for more steering
-.5 camber
3000 wt diff oil

center

diff 3000 wt
stock clutch

rear end

stock sway bar 3mm exposed
longest wheelbase
low wing position
2.0 shock piston w/ hobao buggy med grey spring
full drop
bottom inside upper arm mount
rear upright upper arm mount lower inside hole
2nd hole from the inside upper shock position
inside shock arm position
3 degrees toe in
1000 wt diff oil

Also switched to all plastic bushings, removing the rubber/ metal unit for wt savings, read this in xrc, Greg Degani recomends for dusty areas= most 1/8 races!!

Sure i left out a few but its a start
Old 09-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

Looks like a good buggy and might have to pick one up to try it out . Only thing from what I can see is I`d like threaded shock bodies .
Old 09-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hey sand bagger email mike kazz he has been running the car since it came out and should be able to help you with the setup.
[email protected]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.