Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/5 Scale Baja 5B and other 1/5 scale off road Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 11:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default 1/5 Scale Baja 5B and other 1/5 scale off road Questions

I am intrigued by the 1/5 scale cars and want to get one but I have a few questions first.

1. Is HPI the only one to make a gas powered 1/5 scale off road ?

2. Anyone know of any track in Los Angeles that run 1/5 scale off road?

3. Are these worth getting or is 1/8th scale the most popular right now?

Are there a lot of these out there or are these pretty much just expensive toys that people run around dirt lots?

Thanks,
Jake
Old 09-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

get a 1/8! the baja is a money pit they break real easy
Old 09-12-2008, 01:38 AM
Tech Adept

5bs are fun theres a track in riverside that i run at and dont forget hpi is comming out with the 5t witch is the truck kinda cool i guess
Old 09-12-2008, 05:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had a Baja SS. I found that once the novelty of it being bloody huge wore off, it was just another unstable R/C with very poor handling.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (99%+)

1. No
2. Not that I know of but I don't live there, 1/5 scale offroad hasn't really caught on yet, takes a different type of track.
3. If your looking to get into racing your better off getting a truggy or buggy, if your looking to have run with an RC so there's no better choice than the Baja for bashing around. 40 minute run times and the buggy will take some serious abuse for it's size.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CJ RC
get a 1/8! the baja is a money pit they break real easy
Break Easy????????????????????????? The thing is 20+lbs and I beat the snot out of mine and the only thing I've broke was a bent shock shaft after landing from about 12ft high straight down on the left rear wheel, these things are suprisingly durable when to take into account there weight and size.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Semple
I had a Baja SS. I found that once the novelty of it being bloody huge wore off, it was just another unstable R/C with very poor handling.
I definitely second that. They handle very poorly and parts cost a forture compared to my Losi 8ight. Wish I would have saved the $3,500 I've spent on my Baja and used it towards stuff for racing my 8ight.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by BAD_S197
I am intrigued by the 1/5 scale cars and want to get one but I have a few questions first.

1. Is HPI the only one to make a gas powered 1/5 scale off road ?

2. Anyone know of any track in Los Angeles that run 1/5 scale off road?

3. Are these worth getting or is 1/8th scale the most popular right now?

Are there a lot of these out there or are these pretty much just expensive toys that people run around dirt lots?

Thanks,
Jake
Check out the HPI Baja Forum. There is a wealth of information over there on that site.

http://www.hpibajaforum.com/index.php
Old 09-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

1/6 gas buggies have been available in Europe for the last ten years. Racing large scale in Europe is much more organized than the US. 1/6 gas buggies built by FG, MCD, or Lauterbacher are very durable at a price.

http://www.rcmag.com/reviews/course/...ousets0908.htm
Old 09-12-2008, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by LVBaja
I definitely second that. They handle very poorly and parts cost a forture compared to my Losi 8ight. Wish I would have saved the $3,500 I've spent on my Baja and used it towards stuff for racing my 8ight.
I think your comparing apples to oranges, how do you think a buggy that's 3 times the size of your 1/8th scale with a gas powered weed eater mower should handle? Buggies and Truggies are purpose built, the Baja is for simply going out and enjoying. I always say that if a purpose built track for Bajas was built I would hands down race them instead of nitro's.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

everytime ive ever seen a 1/5th scale race on a track, ive been very unimpressed. They make alot of noise, dont go fast, and loop out everytime you touch the throttle.

If you want to race, get a 1/8.

If you want to play, get a 1/5.
Old 09-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Qmartin
I think your comparing apples to oranges, how do you think a buggy that's 3 times the size of your 1/8th scale with a gas powered weed eater mower should handle? Buggies and Truggies are purpose built, the Baja is for simply going out and enjoying. I always say that if a purpose built track for Bajas was built I would hands down race them instead of nitro's.
You've got a point. They're certainly designed for different things. I guess I just don't get any enjoyment out of driving the Baja around the desert or "bashing." The track just suits me better, and the Baja is just frustrating to drive on the track because it handles like crap compared to everything else I've ever driven. What's also frustrating is the cost to keep the Baja going. Seems like one roll-over or tumble and something's boud to break, whereas the atraction of 1/8th scale for me was how tough the cars are.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You've got a point. They're certainly designed for different things. I guess I just don't get any enjoyment out of driving the Baja around the desert or "bashing." The track just suits me better, and the Baja is just frustrating to drive on the track because it handles like crap compared to everything else I've ever driven. What's also frustrating is the cost to keep the Baja going. Seems like one roll-over or tumble and something's boud to break, whereas the atraction of 1/8th scale for me was how tough the cars are.
Yeah. The enjoyment is just going out and bashing with a Baja, but the enjoyment wore off after the second time out for me.

Also, about the apples to oranges, I wouldn't say that is a fair statement. There are other 1/5th scale vehicles that handle so much better than the Baja. The Baja is just not a very good geometry.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:15 PM
Tech Elite

I can agree with you there, that's the reason I race both truggy and buggy. I personally take my baja to the local bmx track and have a great time as it's much more suited to a wide open flowing track with jumps designed much larger than a standard rc track. It's hard to enjoy the baja on a rc track when you need lanes twice as wide and smoother run up's to larger jumps. As far as durability I've never had a issue that wasn't my own fault.
Old 09-12-2008, 06:33 PM
Tech Regular

One thing to keep in mind when comparing their handling is that Baja 5B is 2wd, while 1/8 buggies are 4wd. Obviously a 4wd will handle better, regardless of size.

It's like comparing B4 vs. B44, the B44 will handle better simply cuz it's 4wd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.