Wiki Posts
Search

8IGHT for $359?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 08:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 8IGHT for $359?

Just came back from my local hobby store and they had a new, sealed box 8IGHT for $359. It seemed like a good deal, but I wasn't certain. After looking at some online stores, it looks like a very good deal.

This would be my first gas buggy if I get it. The main thing I'd like to know is: are there more than two versions of the 8IGHT out there? I'm aware of the RTR and also the standard kit version.

By the 40% off sticker on the box, it made me wonder if perhaps this is an older version, or something else is coming out very soon to make it obsolete. Thanks for any input.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

ther are three different ones (accually two).
#1 - rtr
#2 - pro kit
#3 - race roller

numbers 2 & 3 are the same, just one is built and the other is the kit. I would get it if I were you eather way. The kits are the same from day one. There are a few addendums though, but you can get them off Losi.com and the'll tell you what to do.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Tech Master

BTW do you race electric off road now? You will love the Eight if you do.
Old 09-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the quick response.

I used to race back in the day...for 4wd class I had an Optima Mid, then a YZ-10.

Just 6 months ago I tried to get back into racing, bought a used car, and had a horrible outing and put the stuff away. I thought I'd give it another shot, but this time build my own car, as that's half the fun anyway.

I've always run electric, and this would be my first potential gas car...so from the engine, fuel, etc perspective I'd need to get all the gear. Just seemed like a relatively good deal, so it made me at least consider getting into gas.

I'm 99% certain this was an unassembled kit...which by default I guess would be the Pro Kit? Definitely wasn't the RTR version.

I thought I casually read a week ago that the RTR version is better in some respects, as the component box is better designed...or something.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mr_bungle
Thanks for the quick response.

I used to race back in the day...for 4wd class I had an Optima Mid, then a YZ-10.

Just 6 months ago I tried to get back into racing, bought a used car, and had a horrible outing and put the stuff away. I thought I'd give it another shot, but this time build my own car, as that's half the fun anyway.

I've always run electric, and this would be my first potential gas car...so from the engine, fuel, etc perspective I'd need to get all the gear. Just seemed like a relatively good deal, so it made me at least consider getting into gas.

I'm 99% certain this was an unassembled kit...which by default I guess would be the Pro Kit? Definitely wasn't the RTR version.

I thought I casually read a week ago that the RTR version is better in some respects, as the component box is better designed...or something.
Keep in mind the Losi 2.0 will be hitting stores soon. However if you saw a 8 kit for that much you should already be building it thats about $100 cheaper than usual. No RTR is better than a kit period. Keep in mind wiht a RTR you will get servos radio and engine cheap ones at best. The kit will have all the race upgrades shocks, shock towers, flex chasis and so on. These things you would have to replace on an RTR plus upgrade the servos and engine. Although the losi does come with a descent radio 2.4ghz. Racers rule of thumb build it yourself and you know what you've got.
Old 09-06-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

man if you want a losi..well losi truggy?? theres a guy tryin to give a super clean looking one away in the forsale section ..looks mint.. 225 shipped i think was is last offer to move it...
Old 09-07-2008, 07:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If the last 4wd car you ran was an Optima Mid you might want to try a Kyosho, Mugen, or Odonnell car. The 8ight has a lot of steering and the rear end is twitchy compared to the other 1/8 cars on the market. However that price is really low for a competition level buggy.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:25 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Personally, I would stay away from nitro if I was you. With brushless/lipo it just doesn't make sense to deal with the hassle of nitro. I used to race nothing but nitro years ago, and today you couldn't pay me to run it.
Could always buy that car, and the brusless conversion, but I wouldn't do that either. Go with a good 1/10 electric like the associated B44, with brushless and lipo. It would be better then sex.
Old 09-07-2008, 11:39 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by rm25x
Personally, I would stay away from nitro if I was you. With brushless/lipo it just doesn't make sense to deal with the hassle of nitro. I used to race nothing but nitro years ago, and today you couldn't pay me to run it.
Thats his opinion, but I would recomend nitro. It's not rocket science, just get with guys at your local track to see what engine to get and how to break it in. You can't ask too many questions, and don't be afraid too. I'm going to recomend a OS 21VG to start with. I know that saying that will start a war, but I've been tunning engines for 15 years and I feel it's one of the best "starter" engines out there. Take the advise or not....
Old 09-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i think your right on the vg for the $$$$.....I think id look at RB S3 L2G for 20$ more.....still as a starter you cant go wrong....
Old 09-07-2008, 12:19 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 112 (100%+)

+1 on the RB VG

But the VG is a good option as well for a "starter" engine
Old 09-07-2008, 12:22 PM
Tech Master

honestly I was going to throw in the S3 with my "starter" engine recomendations, but with the other thread about RB's customer service, I didn't want him to possibly get a bad tast in his mouth about nitro.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for the differing views, guys. It did cross my mind to buy the kit then go for the electric conversion...all in all, that might be the most economical way to go, as I already have the LiPo charger and wouldn't have to buy the start box, fuel, etc. In a nutshell, are the electric conversions generally competitive with the gas versions?

I do wonder if eventually gas and electric 1/8 will all run together...I know there are several gas 1/8 tracks in the Denver area and I'll need to look into that further.

I have to say, the "better than sex" comment made me laugh. I remember a guy say that 20 years ago when he first ran his Schumacher Cat. I thought...dude, how would you know? He seemed to be 50 years old and probably still lived in his mother's basement. Anyway, I digress...
Old 09-07-2008, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by mr_bungle
I do wonder if eventually gas and electric 1/8 will all run together...I know there are several gas 1/8 tracks in the Denver area and I'll need to look into that further.
I just moved from Denver and I don't know how many guys run electric up there now. But knowing the racing crowed their, you should have no problems with the guys accepting you running with them. What store had the Eight that cheap? Isn't their like 6 nitro tracks in Denver now, I would think the store would have gottin enough traffic to sell it at normal price. Plus I herd the MHOR will run a 1/8th electric class in the winter. I know it's a small, small track. But some of the best drivers in the country run there.
Old 09-07-2008, 12:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

PM'ing you the store info

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.