Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Need an engine that doesn't have to be blipped or driven like an On/Off switch >

Need an engine that doesn't have to be blipped or driven like an On/Off switch

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need an engine that doesn't have to be blipped or driven like an On/Off switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 01:25 PM
Tech Elite

Novarossi and RB have/had the Eco type motors. They are three port big blocks that are very mild tempered and don't need the constant clearing out like the mulitport race motors. They also produce pretty good power and have great fuel milage. I find the more ports past 3, the more finicky the tuning.
Now about the on/off factor... Check the size of your cab venturi. You don't want the 7+ port with the 9mm carb opening. That gives the top fuel dragster feel! The NR528 and RB928 are perfect examples of that!
Old 08-26-2008, 03:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I would suggest the OS Speed
Old 08-26-2008, 03:49 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. I've tried to get used to blipping the throttle everywhere and it just doesn't suit me.

The GRP is very popular at our track but there's the entry fee also. V Spec is pricey too but not quite as bad. I have a JP-3 pipe I run on my P5X, would that mate well with the V Spec? I've heard there's one pipe the V Spec likes, can't remember what it was but I know it's very quiet. (I'd rather have some sound if possible)

Thanks again everyone!
Old 08-26-2008, 05:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

My personal favorite is the Sirio Evo 4 STI.....I feel its one of the smoothest most linear motors on the market with TONS of power and an average 8 1/2 minutes run time.
Old 08-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

sounds to me like you need a modded engine. A buddy of mine has a ceo powered novarossi. And it is super smooth, but a tons of power if needed
Old 08-26-2008, 05:46 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

i run a jp-3 with my vspec on an mbx5t. insane power and great runtime with that pipe. i run the 9mm restrictor and on the trigger alot, but i get between 9-10 minutes per tank. not shabby for a heavy truggy....
Old 08-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Dude, hands down on an os of any type. Be it a speed or a standard vspec. The motors are butter smooth, powerful, and purr like a kitten.
Old 08-26-2008, 06:31 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 163 (100%+)

one pipe that i found was smooth is the 2035 from associated/thundertiger, i have run it on speeds and grp it seems to make them nice and smooth off the line but still strong when u put the hammer down, i also like the 2060 on the speed, i recently started running the speeds since i have been selling them, i am really enjoying the engine, has good bottom but not so crazy that you can put it down to the ground, and the top end is good to
Old 08-26-2008, 06:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Lots og good engine suggestions here. I wonder though, what throttle servo are you using? Also, have you tried experimenting with Expo? In your case, you should try playing with - Expo. It will make the first 1/4 pull or so feel slower, which in turn should make you think you have a smoother throttle response. At least, this is my personal opinion anyway. Try it, see what you think...vs the cost of a new engine, one can't go wrong