Search

Sportsmanship or stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 09:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Djballen
http://s272.photobucket.com/albums/j...t=f070b783.pbr

Plz watch this vid from the Manufactures Cup. Watch when the leaders come up to lap trafic how they move over and let them by. At one point you will see someone stop to let them by. If a pro driver will do this why souldn't us lower class guys do the same.
they have the skills to make it all happen clean... alot lower class guys may not ...
Old 08-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Nay0k
You have to understand that myself and many others don't care if you make just enough room to get past the roadblocks or if you go wide around the turn...if you're racing for position I'll recognize that. I don't expect people to get out of my way at any cost to their race, you guys just interpret it like that. Normally in a long gas main or a qualifier you're not racing side by side for position though, infact some positions are laps apart.
And I understand that completely...just wanted some clarity.

And that is perfectly respectable btw.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:19 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by skeller
Differing opinions on the subject....imagine that.

This thread is NOT soley a result of this weekends events....but that did play a role.

I'm talkin' about Pro classes....doesn't matter if your 1 lap or 1000 down to the leader(s). Unless your last...your always in front of someone else. I agree to let the leaders go....but how much do you expect me to do so you can go by? I shouldn't have to risk my position over the dude behind me just cause you want by on your line. I do my best to race clean against everyone no matter how far I'm ahead or behind....just seems that more people get the raw deal trying too hard to make way for the lead guys. And yes...I did get broke by one of them...told him where to pass me at 2x in the same lap and he couldn't make it....then he crashed and broke me. Did he do it on purpose....seemed like it at the time....but maybe not. Either way...it's still a sore subject for both sides obviously.
I think we have to concede if were faster or slower and do whats right. But the race for 1st and 2nd is no more important than the race for 3rd and 4th.
I have raced up on a race for 5th and 6th and held back so they could get there race on to.
We all have to be considerate of one another and that's all we can do.
The most important thing to prove being a sportsman, is not only getting out of the way but more importantly understanding the difference one way or the other and get over it good or bad. I think we all learn or own ways. Don't let it bug ya I would bet racing got the best of him for that night and you getting broke may have been his education.
GO FAST AND TRY NOT TO CRASH!
There's a lot more to being a sport than getting out of the way.
Share the race.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
I think we have to concede if were faster or slower and do whats right. But the race for 1st and 2nd is no more important than the race for 3rd and 4th.
I have raced up on a race for 5th and 6th and held back so they could get there race on to.
We all have to be considerate of one another and that's all we can do.
The most important thing to prove being a sportsman, is not only getting out of the way but more importantly understanding the difference one way or the other and get over it good or bad. I think we all learn or own ways. Don't let it bug ya I would bet racing got the best of him for that night and you getting broke may have been his education.
GO FAST AND TRY NOT TO CRASH!
There's a lot more to being a sport than getting out of the way.
Share the race.
I"m not nearly as sore about it as it may seem. However...he finished 2nd and I would have finished 3rd...3 laps down instead of 6th 8 laps down. I did move into 3rd place in points...but he wasn't a series driver anyway which would have made my 3rd place finish a second place. That would've put me firmly in the second place spot in the series.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Master

Mostly I just wanted some outside opinions on the matter....since we did talk about it for a while after the race was over.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I"m not nearly as sore about it as it may seem. However...he finished 2nd and I would have finished 3rd...3 laps down instead of 6th 8 laps down. I did move into 3rd place in points...but he wasn't a series driver anyway which would have made my 3rd place finish a second place. That would've put me firmly in the second place spot in the series.
After you clean the salt out of that wound you may need stitches. OUCH!
Old 08-03-2008, 09:30 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

And I understand that completely...just wanted some clarity.

And that is perfectly respectable btw.
I'm just glad somebody else here sees it my way..
Old 08-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
After you clean the salt out of that wound you may need stitches. OUCH!
It's not that bad...still have 1 more series race and the finals. Maybe I can pull a second place out of it all.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

my view on this is im sick of eating the ass end of the faster guys buggy................. yes he is faster but there are sections im faster he he really is faster he should drive around or pass some where he knows he can i understand if your 3 or 4 laps down hell pull in the pits and drive through and let him pass on the straight ive cought myself doing that some times if theres a battle going on for the top 3 spots just to get out of the way and then pull out and continue on with your race
Old 08-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Just because it's not a big Car race, in my eyes, it's still the same exact thing. If I'm racing somebody and the leaders happen to try to put me a lap down while racing the other guy, just like in a real race in any sanction, don't expect anybody to get out of the way. I will race the crap out of the guy I'm racing for position and the leaders will know how to get around, because, well, they're leading? Haha :P

Now if it's me by myself and the leaders are coming up, and I am not close to the next raceable position, then I will let them go by.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:08 PM
Tech Master

Thanks guys..didn't mean to get everyone fired up.

But this has been helpful....thanks again.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:56 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

..Here's one..How about 30 minute nitro mains..A few weeks ago..Race starts..Top 2 get away clean, I get punted back to last (Qualified 3rd) I have to fight my way back through the pack (takes a while) first and second come up on me..I pull to the side and let the leaders go..3 to 4 turns I catch them..they are both fighting each other and leave the inside line open..I take it and pass them..cleanly..The race director starts telling me not to pass the leaders??? WTF..told me to do a stop and go....It's a 30 minute race..were about 7 or 8 minutes into it..so I do a stop and go..about 4 or 5 minutes I catch the leaders again..and the RD is telling me not to pass..I pass them anyways..cleanly..He wants me to do another stop and go..I told him no..I ended up getting second..first place won by half a lap..My thing was/is I'll pull out of the racing line to let the leaders by (If I'm a lap down) but if I reel you back in and pass you I wont pull over again..I wont take you out but you will now have to earn it..
Old 08-03-2008, 11:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Oasis
..Here's one..How about 30 minute nitro mains..A few weeks ago..Race starts..Top 2 get away clean, I get punted back to last (Qualified 3rd) I have to fight my way back through the pack (takes a while) first and second come up on me..I pull to the side and let the leaders go..3 to 4 turns I catch them..they are both fighting each other and leave the inside line open..I take it and pass them..cleanly..The race director starts telling me not to pass the leaders??? WTF..told me to do a stop and go....It's a 30 minute race..were about 7 or 8 minutes into it..so I do a stop and go..about 4 or 5 minutes I catch the leaders again..and the RD is telling me not to pass..I pass them anyways..cleanly..He wants me to do another stop and go..I told him no..I ended up getting second..first place won by half a lap..My thing was/is I'll pull out of the racing line to let the leaders by (If I'm a lap down) but if I reel you back in and pass you I wont pull over again..I wont take you out but you will now have to earn it..
Yea, thats retarded. If you catch up then its game on.
Old 08-04-2008, 01:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

One thing we ALL need to remember is that while we are racing for position this is also supposed to be a hobby. I am the guy who normally gets lapped by the faster guys. As I said earlier I used to try and give them cushion to pass, sometimes I would even jump tile to let them by. Problem with this is that it never fails about the time I slow up I get rammed and taken out, I go wide they decide to pass wide and take me out.

So now I have a choice... I can either hold my line and let nature take its course, by saying this I DONT mean blocking a pass. If you are a blocker you deserve what you get in my opinion. The other option I have is to swing wide or slow up and risk getting taken out by the "good driver". My last option is to just quit racing all together.

The last option is the one I fear the most! Where I race at is VERY competitive and that is a good thing. Problem is, how is a new guy supposed to get talked into racing when the leaders who are soooo highly looked upon state if you dont get outa my way Im gonna take you out.

There are far too many people with crappy attitudes taking this hobby from a fun family event to strictly a die hard racing environment. Look around your pits and see how many new faces you have, how many kids are racing. If it is just a few people I would encourage you to try and reset the environment at your track by being a little more patient. I love the competition but lets also not forget that this is supposed to be fun too.

p.s. This is written in the perspective of the sportsman class on a normal club race. Bigger races usually result in you being in a main with everyone being fairly close to your skill level. And if your good enough to be in the Pro or Expert class you should be good enough to control your car to let the leaders by.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:53 AM
Suspended

Dude...that's a common thing.
My problem was getting broke while letting them go....by one of them...while in 3rd.
whether you're in third or not is inconsequential and not really the point - the point is you're still a lap down and obviously considerably off the pace of the leaders regardless of how it happened. that's not to say that you should take a poor line and have a wreck immediately, but it is to say that there are places on every track where you can run wide or slow appreciably out of the primary racing line and let the leaders go.
as far as getting punted or run over, this happens because backmarkers have developed a "I paid to run too mentality" and refuse to give room and the faster guys are surprised when you're so slow in a particular section or find that it's easier to run through you than around you because chances are you're going to race them for the next corner and could crash them. people also try and suggest that this is just toy car racing or isn't serious racing, whatever that is, but the fact remains that racing is racing and if you don't show courteous and considerate behavior on the track then you won't get it in return. they have the blue/yellow move over flag in real car racing, and just because they don't use one in rc racing doesn't mean it shouldn't be headed.
I remember my days when I was new and slow, and even today because of a small field I've entered races even though I'm the only 2wd mod car in a 4wd mod class, so I know what it's like to be run down but I've always extended the courtesy and know it can be done. being oblivious of it, and not moving out of the way, you get what you deserve.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.