Best & Worst 1/8 Buggy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best & Worst 1/8 Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Tech Apprentice

These kind of threads usually go nowhere, but here's my opinion. Look for a buggy that has good parts support and is well liked in your area. All buggies follow about the same layout, and the changes within them are small. The universal rule is that the driver is 90%, and the buggy and setup is 10%. From the buggies I have seen, I would have to say that any of the new buggies out currently (AE, Xray, HB, Kyosho) are great. I personally like the Xray the most of any of those because of the quality and innovative ideas. Although I don't run any of these, I've seen them all, and you can't go wrong with either.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by chrobar
These kind of threads usually go nowhere, but here's my opinion. Look for a buggy that has good parts support and is well liked in your area. All buggies follow about the same layout, and the changes within them are small. The universal rule is that the driver is 90%, and the buggy and setup is 10%. From the buggies I have seen, I would have to say that any of the new buggies out currently (AE, Xray, HB, Kyosho) are great. I personally like the Xray the most of any of those because of the quality and innovative ideas. Although I don't run any of these, I've seen them all, and you can't go wrong with either.

You mean like copying another buggy and adding a few new things right.
Old 08-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Don't forget about the Hot Bodies D8 set to be realeased in a month or less. It costs much less than most of the good cars out there now, but does not dissappoint on any of the features. Ty Tessmann has been absolutely flying with it this weekend at the Manufactures Cup in qualifying, and he did an excellent job at the Farm II a couple weeks ago.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:14 AM
Tech Addict

you probably asked the wrong question really as the cars everyone runs will be the best, and the others the worst

The information you need has been suggested in here already, so to cover old ground your best course of action is to go down to your home track/s and investigate which buggies are well supported, by support i mean driver and parts support as both are really useful.

As far as cars go this will also depend a lot on your budget, they are all good cars some drive better some wear better depends on what you want, a few things to remember though if you have a healthy budget the worlds is just around the corner and there are a handful of new chassis being readied for this event and release before or just after, if you can it may be best to wait and see its only a few weeks and then you will have a better idea of the true market, if your budgets modest theres also a good chance of picking up some very good cars cheap from people who have changed to the newer chassis from their preferred manufacturer.

you have some homework to do good luck

p.s. Xray have just announced a price increase in the US !!!!!
Old 08-03-2008, 05:41 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by razor_clawzz
I will never know what's the best buggy out there, but if you ask me what I like most, it has to be Kyosho and Mugen. Every single design on their part(s) makes sense, if not mystery (which you will eventually find out it's intended purpose) and a trend thereafter

ANyway I took the liberty to find the most hateful buggy I can find.....and here it is

The BaJookaH!!!

So you have owned one of these Before???

I have and I beleive for the price they are a great entry level buggy, It even served me well when i owned one.

Where I come from there's great support and parts service for these buggies.

Check it out (click below)
1st Place 2007 RCid/UpgradeRC points score champion RTR Buggy (HSP BAZOOKA)
Old 08-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks everyone for the info i think i will get 8ight or rc8 ! ! ! !
Old 08-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Tech Apprentice

The 808 I've been running for the last month is the best I have had. This may be only because it was the first non-used buggy that I actually put together out of the box, but it seems durable and was a really easy build. I'm pretty much a sportsman, but have been taking a second off my fastest lap every week since I've run it as I've learned how wide open you can run it.

I think if you get the Losi or the RC-8 you will be envying the 808 drivers car's durability, and it may be a bit faster as well.

I've had MBX-5s with JLB shocks, thats probably second with the Jammin buggy close behind it, both good buggies.

The Kyosho 7.5 Readyset or whatever they call it is likely WORSE than the Bazooka. Unless they have improved it, you will have to replace most of the running gear and the shocks within the first month. But hey, it does look good in the box, and has a slammin body. It was my first buggy and the looks and price sucked me in. Don't be dumb like I was!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:45 PM
Tech Regular

For me, there is no best or worse. It is the dedication that you have, to make the car better,whatever brand the car may be, that matters. And your driving as well. I have seen many so called "rotten" buggies do very well on the track, just because their drivers put a lot of preparation to make the car more drivable and also stronger, making it possible to finished a 45 minutes main. And I have also seen a lot of High-end buggies do terribly bad on the track because of unforced errors of the driver in areas of preparation and of driving as well. In short, I personally believe it is not the car. It is what you make out of it.
Old 08-05-2008, 04:18 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

best IMO: AE, losi, kyosho, mugan, HB(new buggy LOOKS VERY GOOD), ocm ( !!if you have parts available!!)

worst IMO: sportworks, ofna, cen, thunder tiger

this list is from the cars that myself and my father have driven over the years
Old 08-05-2008, 05:32 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by CHogle
best IMO: AE, losi, kyosho, mugan, HB(new buggy LOOKS VERY GOOD), ocm ( !!if you have parts available!!)

worst IMO: sportworks, ofna, cen, thunder tiger

this list is from the cars that myself and my father have driven over the years
Interesting that you mention OFNA as the worst. Both the Hyper 8.5 and Jammin buggies are very competitive, have great parts support, are reasonably priced, and are reliable, easy to "tune" cars. Granted, OFNA does have some crap (anything 9.5 based is suspect) but they also have some VERY good cars. Did you not notice that Taylor James TQ'd and won the pre-worlds with an (OFNA) Jammin? As for Sportworks (ummm... Sportwerks?) they aren't bad for an entry-level car. And, it is MUGEN not MUGAN.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

The only thing I will say it is what the driver makes of it. Hell I'm getting ready to buy a new buggy just can't make up my mind but I know none will take a beating I can put my Sportwerks mayhem through. It has a LRP spec 3 because I use it mainly for fun bashing and the local track is pretty tight and has a big 4x4 in the middle that claims lots of parts. I drive it like I stole it because I don't care since it has yet to break but I wouldn't do that with my others because they would break.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

In the last year and a half, I have had from most recent the
RC8
OCM
LOSI
Jammin
Mugen

Hands down the losi was the best. People complain about durability, it was the best of the bunch for me. Sure the front end got sloppy quick, but it never got worse.

The ocm was good, but i broke the shit out of it in the cold, and the whole ocm usa deal left a bitter taste in my mouth.

I plan on buying another losi someday, but I am waiting for an updated kit after the worlds
Old 08-08-2008, 10:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 63 (100%+)

I was a long time K-Car (Kyosho) fan but I haven't had one in years. I've been running Mugen MBX5's and more recently the Losi Eight. All three are great imho. My only complaint with the Losi is the price of the parts...a bit on the expensive side.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Two years ago I was looking to buy my first 1/8 scale buggy. I had plenty of cash for any ride that I wanted at the time and I also wanted the best money could buy. At that time I had talked to many people online and local and I finally made a decision. I decided that I would buy a HYPER 8 as it was cheaper and I would get the most bang for the buck. To my surprise this buggy was great but of course my driving needed help. Currently I still run this buggy and do pretty well with it overall. I run Pro and I am ready to get a new ride next year and see what it is like to run a different model. Overall my experience with the HYPER 8 has been great and I would reccomend this buggy to any newcommer to the sport. Hope this infomation will help with your decision!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default MY OPINION...GOOD OPINION

I WOULD SAY THE WORST BUGGY IS THE BUGGY WITH LITTLE TO NO SUPPORT....THE BEST BUGGY IS THE BUGGY THAT YOUR LOCAL HOBBY SHOP HAS A LOT OF PARTS ON HAND AND INFO READY TO GIVE OUT......LOOK AT IT THIS WAY. WITH THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY YOU CAN HAVE SOMEONE WHO HAS A DODGE. NEVER HAS A PROBLEM WITH IT. NOTHING GOES WRONG .IT HAS 500K MILES ON IT. HIS NEIGHBOR HAS A NEW DODGE. DON'T HAVE BUT 15K MILES. EVERYTHING THAT CAN DOES GO WRONG. YOU CAN HAVE THE BEST EXAMPLE OF A BRAND, BUT YOUR BUDDY HAS THE WORST EXAMPLE OF THE SAME VEHICLE...WHY BUY A KYOSHO IF YOUR HOBBY SHOP DON'T CARRY PARTS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.