Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First impression of the RC8.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

My point is that your replacing parts that other don't. OK $2 here, $5 there, and don't forget the time spent on it. I always find something wrong on this car when it goes out racing. As for it turning better than others or more agile, its on the same level. It gets more upset in rough track conditions than a heavier car. I speaking from actually wrenching this car and tuning it before, during and after races, so don't think I am throwing BS at this car. Big bores do help this car alot, but things just break on i and others usually don't see happen. If anyone is looking for one with Jammin SBB and King head parts, PM me. I know of one for sale from a reputable driver/engine modifier/fuel brand.
Old 04-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ezveedub
If anyone is looking for one with Jammin SBB and King head parts, PM me. I know of one for sale from a reputable driver/engine modifier/fuel brand.
Weren't you just complaining about how you thought this was a sales pitch??

Anyhow, I don't want to argue with you. My point is, sure, it has some parts that need TLC after a few gallons. However, I have seen the car sold at places online for around $480!!! All other high end cars right now are in the $600 range.

As far as time wrenching to replace the parts, any hard core racer tears there car down for cleaning and maintanance even if there's nothing worn out. It takes the same time to put on a new part or the same part that was off the car for cleaning.

If you like the other makes that's fine, preach on their thread about how great they are, rather than arguing someone's satisfaction here. Later.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:07 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Brandon Melton

Anyhow, I don't want to argue with you. My point is, sure, it has some parts that need TLC after a few gallons. However, I have seen the car sold at places online for around $480!!! All other high end cars right now are in the $600 range.

As far as time wrenching to replace the parts, any hard core racer tears there car down for cleaning and maintanance even if there's nothing worn out. It takes the same time to put on a new part or the same part that was off the car for cleaning.

If you like the other makes that's fine, preach on their thread about how great they are, rather than arguing someone's satisfaction here. Later.
Hey, it time someone notice that arguing in another brands thread sucks, too. A lot of you here do it also. You get it everywhere here in the forums. I gave my view after the first time out of box run, but it seems to be the only factor here. And yes, for some who wants or likes the car, I was giving someone who is interested in it to PM me, so its off this thread.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brandon Melton

To true I spend way to much time wrenching on my car. But I gotta keep her clean!
Old 04-14-2008, 07:20 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

I really liked my Jammin but just after about a gallon every shock and camber rod ends on my X1 were all but done. And I cracked several diff cases. And whats up with the 12 useless holes in the rear shock tower? In order to get the buggy to handle like it should you have to drill your own and hope you get it right.

But in fairness to the design it worked great and I finnished every race. I would recommend one to anybody.

This year, I've decided to move on. I'm sure my RC8 won't be perfect either, but, I'm willing to give it a chance and be honest about what it is and what it isnt.

Spending $20-30 to replace sloppy parts after a gallon or so is just normal maintenance no matter what buggy you swear is the best.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:26 PM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ed237
I really liked my Jammin but just after about a gallon every shock and camber rod ends on my X1 were all but done. And I cracked several diff cases. And whats up with the 12 useless holes in the rear shock tower? In order to get the buggy to handle like it should you have to drill your own and hope you get it right.

But in fairness to the design it worked great and I finnished every race. I would recommend one to anybody.

This year, I've decided to move on. I'm sure my RC8 won't be perfect either, but, I'm willing to give it a chance and be honest about what it is and what it isnt.

Spending $20-30 to replace sloppy parts after a gallon or so is just normal maintenance no matter what buggy you swear is the best.
Ed you need to quit beating it up so much!!!!!!!!!! Maybe you need a TA05 1/th buggy.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It gets more upset in rough track conditions than a heavier car.
'I beg the difference' on this one. I was running my RC8 on a very blown out track last week against a bunch of XRAYs and the RC8 handled the rough track much better on that specific day. It's all in the setup (for either car), but I am just saying that the RC8 can handle rough tracks without problems.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:16 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Hey Wyd / Brian - Not beating anything up - Just trying to be fair!

I wonder if Tamiya will ever make a race worthy 1/8 Buggy. If they did, I bet it would be incredibily expensive.

The Durga is basically an off road version of the TA05. By the way, did you ever get a TA05?
Old 04-15-2008, 06:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ehartman_49348
'I beg the difference' on this one. I was running my RC8 on a very blown out track last week against a bunch of XRAYs and the RC8 handled the rough track much better on that specific day. It's all in the setup (for either car), but I am just saying that the RC8 can handle rough tracks without problems.
What setup did you run? Like shocks oils, pistons, etc.?
Old 04-15-2008, 02:08 PM
Tech Master

What setup did you run? Like shocks oils, pistons, etc.?
50WT F/R with 2x1.4 + 2x1.1 (temps: 60 degrees)
Old 04-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by ehartman_49348
50WT F/R with 2x1.4 + 2x1.1 (temps: 60 degrees)
I get the shocks out and make some changes. Only thing, it like 75-85F here.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Tech Regular

I ran on a super blown out track this weekend. It was obvious to everybody that the RC8 was better in the bumps than the Mugens and Kyosho's. It was also very muddy so I had to tear my car down to clean it. While I was at it I inspected all the parts. Only thing I found wrong was the front bumper had a tear so I replaced it. I have many gallons on this car since I bought it on the very first day of availability. Granted I've been doing small things to it all along since that's what racers do to their cars.

On the slop issue, I think the car handles better when all the parts are worn in.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by kmorast
I ran on a super blown out track this weekend. It was obvious to everybody that the RC8 was better in the bumps than the Mugens and Kyosho's. It was also very muddy so I had to tear my car down to clean it. While I was at it I inspected all the parts. Only thing I found wrong was the front bumper had a tear so I replaced it. I have many gallons on this car since I bought it on the very first day of availability. Granted I've been doing small things to it all along since that's what racers do to their cars.

On the slop issue, I think the car handles better when all the parts are worn in.
I suppose I should have added in my initial post that our track is pretty rough due the dirt that we use. Ruts and holes are the norm. Some so big cars randomly do front flips down the back straight and yes, The RC8 soaked them up with ease. As compared to having to dial out droop in the 8ight to keep it flat.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Tech Master

I get the shocks out and make some changes. Only thing, it like 75-85F here.

Try 55wt and tune it from there. The AE setup sheets indicate 55wt. Once it warms up here, I will be going up to 55wt myself.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

doesnt the rc8 have some rediculous suspension travel? if it does then if it doesnt handle the rough it is in the set up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.