Wiki Posts
Search

Cleaning 0.21 engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default Cleaning 0.21 engine

I would like to understand what should be the normal cleaning I need to do on an engine.

Just for info, I am running a Novarossi N21B engine. After each run, I make sure there is no fuel in the engine and I used after run oil. I put a few drops of oil in through the glow plug hole and then put it on the starter box briefly. Should I also put oil in through the carb?

What is the best way to clean the internal components of an engine? How often should the engine be tore down and cleaned?

If the engine components become "tarnished", is it a good idea to polish them clean with a dremel?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:03 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

any feedback?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

You are doing everything right. Wouldn't hurt any to put a couple drops down the carb as well as the glow plug hole.

You shouldn't need to take the engine apart and clean the internals ever. Nova engines pretty much never need torn down and serviced. If you ever feel you've developed an air leak, then pull it apart and check it over, then seal it up.

Just always keep a clean air filter zip tied on and the engine should last a long time. Also keep the outside of the engine dirt and grime free. Clean engines run cooler than dirty gunked up engines.
Old 04-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Jbrow I am about to store my axe rossi mamba for the summer while I use my v-spec. I have already ran every bit of fuel out of it. Should I put after run in it or will that dry over the course of the summer and gunk it up? Should I take it all appart and wipe everything down to make sure theres no residue? Ideally I would like to be able to use this as a back up if needed this summer. Thanks for any and all advice.

Oh and Brian, we're going to medina on the 10th if you wana carpool with sean and me to save on gas! we will have two 6' tables and a 10x10 tent
Old 04-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

polishing the sleeve of the cylinder should increase power over a tarnished surface but the increase is minimal. just keep the outside clean and run it out of gas everytime and you will be fine. ARO is a heated debate that I wont start
Old 04-20-2008, 09:37 AM
Tech Addict

last time i spoke to a Novarossi team driver in the UK he said never run the engine dry, when finished for the day open tank and tip away remaining fuel then after run it if necessary (depends on lay up) and ready for next time, reason for not running engine dry is no fuel = high heat high revs and no lube from fuel so real potential if repeated all the time for damage to engine, each to their own with after run practises, i suppose its the same as engine break in
Old 04-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Like said above there is many ways to store an engine. Some don't do anything, some use after run oil, and some pull the head and backplate and liberally coat everything. You should be fine just putting some down the carb and glow plug hole. Just use a little more than normal.