Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OS .18 in an RC8 - questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 03:57 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

A guy ran a .18 in his buggy this weekend where I race. Very smooth but not impressed with mileage. He got about 9 min on a tank. One thing to keep in mind is that with the smaller engine you have to give it more throttle to do the same thing as a larger engine which can result in less mileage. just my .02
Old 03-20-2008, 10:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by blowpopracer
A guy ran a .18 in his buggy this weekend where I race. Very smooth but not impressed with mileage. He got about 9 min on a tank. One thing to keep in mind is that with the smaller engine you have to give it more throttle to do the same thing as a larger engine which can result in less mileage. just my .02
Great point. Didn't think of that.
Old 03-20-2008, 12:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

My Vspec on a variety of tracks across the US gets consistently 10-11mins with sidewinder,legal tank and a 6mm restrictor. The longest straight I've been on with this motor was 180' and no lack of speed. most of the time I dont need a pit in a 10min qualifier... but it depends on the layout and if they make you do a full lap before going on the clock
Old 03-20-2008, 01:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

GS racing makes an excellent pipe and header that should work very nicely for this application. The pipe and header are actually used on one of their 1/10th 4wd nitro vehicles.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

The other thing to remember is fuel economy is mostly about throttle control. I guy at my local track can run 11:10 with an OS Speed V-Spec .21, I have timed it. If you peg the throttle at every corner or every chance, fuel economy is gonna suck, if you roll in and out of the throttle and only use what is needed, normally your lap times will be better as well as the fuel economy. That, I would say, is the big advantage of the bigger more powerful engines, you can run them and sometimes never go over half throttle.
Old 03-21-2008, 04:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Wink

I'm an advocate of this as well. Throttle disipline makes for good fuel economy.

Keep in mind the weight that the car was designed for. Also you need to look at parts availability.

I run a .21 RB S7 with a 2045 pipe and outdoors on the big track with 20% fuel and a 7.5mm restrictor, I get 10.5-11 min runtime. It came off the main at 240F.

It is all about only using what you need and setting your clutch and needles up right.

Roll on!
TEX
Old 03-22-2008, 12:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Perhaps I will give that a go tomorrow and see how rolling on and being smooth works out for me fuel wise. I really need to drop in the smaller restrictor in the VSPEC .21

As for 20 percent fuel.. does that help? I run Odonnells 30%, and had considered switching to Byrons Gen2, because of better runtimes, but staying at 30%.