Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3000ft my ass....

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2008, 08:17 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

I've owned 3 different Spektrum radios, and I've bought multiple modules and receivers and no where on any paperwork I have ever received from Spektrum has it ever once claimed a 3000 foot range on the surface equipment?

And yes I have access to all paperwork I have ever purchased from them

I would say 500 feet is a good asumption on your range if you take a second look in the manual, or you bought an air receiver!
Old 03-29-2008, 01:22 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abailey21
I've owned 3 different Spektrum radios, and I've bought multiple modules and receivers and no where on any paperwork I have ever received from Spektrum has it ever once claimed a 3000 foot range on the surface equipment?

I would say 500 feet is a good asumption on your range if you take a second look in the manual, or you bought an air receiver!
Spektrum DSM manual: http://www.spektrumrc.com/Content/PD...structions.pdf

Page 13 clearly states: "Range... 3000 Ft"
Old 03-29-2008, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by nitroburner65
WOW! 3000 feet! Can you really see your car at that distance? 2640 feet is 1/2 mile and unless your standin on a higher place than what your running your car on the odds of being able to see your car are less likley than the odds of being able to control your car. Just my 2 cents.
thats not the point, youre the 7th person who came in here saying "OMG!!!!! you cant even see your car at 3000 feet1111111111111"

thats not the point, i have 20/20 eyesight, and if im on a gravel road and wanna drive my car a half km away from me (i can still see it at that distance, its not hard) i should be able to, not have it cut out when its 500 feet away.

they claim its 3000 feet and i dont even get a quarter of it and that is BS.

Originally Posted by dgraham225
dude, those things are kicking your ass, lol! take both the tire and the rim and submerge them in a container of acetone (tupperware, bowl, whatever with a top), and clean all the glue thats on them and start fresh.. after they come out, they should be as good as new..

then try and go the whole gluing process again... and again, i have to ask.. what are you using to hold the tire tight up against the rims? i highly highly reccomend the panther bands for this dude, as its very important for them to be tight after the glue is applied..
yes they are and im ready to trash my whole car because of it. i cleaned the rim and tire with 99% iso alcohol, both sides, all 4 tires. im not using anything to band the tires which is where i think my problems is, my last glue dried in 10 seconds then the tires were ready to go, this glue seemed to take an hour to dry, or i put too much. either way this is getting ridiculous.

Originally Posted by groundhogg
I think Nitroburner is on the right track. I've never tested the range on mine, but I'd imagine you need to be elevated to get the maximum range. Plus transmitter & receiver batteries fully charged.

On the tire issue, make sure to clean the rim and the tire bead of mold release before mounting. I use motor spray on both. It's amazing how much comes off those new tires.
yeah, it did turn my paper towlels black, im pretty sure i cleaned em prefect, yet they still didnt stick.

Originally Posted by matts6887
Well i can say this, I too have the spektrum dx 3.0 system along with the spektrum receiver; and to date thus far I have not had any range problems per say with mine, but then again I dont think i have tried to test the range of it fully. I do know however that like the others have said; make sure u have set and fully tested the failsafe. When the failsafe built into the spektrum system is functioning properly, when u turn off the transmitter, it should immediately apply full brake; if not then u probably need to go back and re-set the failsafe again. Just my .02 here is all
how do i use the failsafe?

Originally Posted by Nik

thank you, i knew somebody was gonna come in here and try to tell me im wrong about the number 3000.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

yea man, that could very well be your problem.. you will be surprised how little glue it takes to stick a tire to the rim.. i use 4-5 drops on average per side, not much at all! any more than that and your relying on the glue to carry too much of the stress, not the tire/rim, if that makes sense to you..

if you dont have anything else, try some electrical tape. wrap it fairly tight to where it holds the bead tight enough against the rim that when you pull back on the tire, it snaps back against the rim. when you wrap it, wrap it where its about 1 row of tread (knobbies) from the edge, that way the pressure is focused on the bead.. then hold it facing you at about a 45 degree angle and start from the top of the bead and place a drop, then rotate the tire clockwise and let it run down the bead..and on and on, you get the point.

thats how i glue mine anyway and ive never had a tire come off the rim.. i use the pro-line or losi THIN CA glue, i hate the regulars.. but the thin can be hard to use unless you know exactly what your doing, it takes some time to get used to. hope this helps!!
Old 03-30-2008, 03:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Talking Failsafe

All the receivers that come with the 3.0 have failsafes built in, ya just have to set them up! it tells u how to in the manual also spektrum receivers tend to reboot and loose range when the receiver packs start to get low in voltage.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:29 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5
thats not the point, youre the 7th person who came in here saying "OMG!!!!! you cant even see your car at 3000 feet1111111111111"

thats not the point, i have 20/20 eyesight, and if im on a gravel road and wanna drive my car a half km away from me (i can still see it at that distance, its not hard) i should be able to, not have it cut out when its 500 feet away.

they claim its 3000 feet and i dont even get a quarter of it and that is BS.

yes they are and im ready to trash my whole car because of it. i cleaned the rim and tire with 99% iso alcohol, both sides, all 4 tires. im not using anything to band the tires which is where i think my problems is, my last glue dried in 10 seconds then the tires were ready to go, this glue seemed to take an hour to dry, or i put too much. either way this is getting ridiculous.

yeah, it did turn my paper towlels black, im pretty sure i cleaned em prefect, yet they still didnt stick.

how do i use the failsafe?

thank you, i knew somebody was gonna come in here and try to tell me im wrong about the number 3000.

1) OK Firstly with the tire glueing. Before you start use a dremmel and sanding disk to ruff up the glueing surface of the rim so the glue has some edges to grab onto instead of a smooth as plastic wall and use bands or electrical tape to hold the wheels to suface tight. Also dont know what glue you are using but I use Loctite 406 and have had no problems at all doing it this way.

2) As for the Spektrum range/distance transmitable. Every company that deals in radio transmitting devices also quotes there equipment on best/perfect conditions possible, hense the outragous claims most make. I bet you wont get the 20-30m range some tv manufacturers claim the remote will work or the claim that 2way cb radio providers give saying they will transmit 25-30 klms. (Line of sight, no trees or power lines only way)

I am with you that the problems lie with the on/off switch. Definately install a return spring or rubber band does the same job.

Good Luck and dont give up, simple things to fix and will help your vehicle and run times greatly.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:47 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

maybe you got one of those older spektrums that have the antenna routed under the board, reducing range?
Old 03-30-2008, 03:19 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dgraham225
yea man, that could very well be your problem.. you will be surprised how little glue it takes to stick a tire to the rim.. i use 4-5 drops on average per side, not much at all! any more than that and your relying on the glue to carry too much of the stress, not the tire/rim, if that makes sense to you..

if you dont have anything else, try some electrical tape. wrap it fairly tight to where it holds the bead tight enough against the rim that when you pull back on the tire, it snaps back against the rim. when you wrap it, wrap it where its about 1 row of tread (knobbies) from the edge, that way the pressure is focused on the bead.. then hold it facing you at about a 45 degree angle and start from the top of the bead and place a drop, then rotate the tire clockwise and let it run down the bead..and on and on, you get the point.

thats how i glue mine anyway and ive never had a tire come off the rim.. i use the pro-line or losi THIN CA glue, i hate the regulars.. but the thin can be hard to use unless you know exactly what your doing, it takes some time to get used to. hope this helps!!

hmmm, 4-5 drops for the whole tire eh, maybe thats what i was doing wrong.

and i always thought you taped the tire after youve glued it. and i have badlands to they would be kinda hard to tape.. but im buying some rim band things from carolinas, i hope they help or im selling all my gear.

and yes the thin is hard to use, its thinner than water :s

Originally Posted by blwn06
All the receivers that come with the 3.0 have failsafes built in, ya just have to set them up! it tells u how to in the manual also spektrum receivers tend to reboot and loose range when the receiver packs start to get low in voltage.
i forgot my manual at the LHS , and it either doesnt have one or its not set right. but i have an actual failsafe now, how do i set it up?

Originally Posted by romeo_charlie33
1) OK Firstly with the tire glueing. Before you start use a dremmel and sanding disk to ruff up the glueing surface of the rim so the glue has some edges to grab onto instead of a smooth as plastic wall and use bands or electrical tape to hold the wheels to suface tight. Also dont know what glue you are using but I use Loctite 406 and have had no problems at all doing it this way.

2) As for the Spektrum range/distance transmitable. Every company that deals in radio transmitting devices also quotes there equipment on best/perfect conditions possible, hense the outragous claims most make. I bet you wont get the 20-30m range some tv manufacturers claim the remote will work or the claim that 2way cb radio providers give saying they will transmit 25-30 klms. (Line of sight, no trees or power lines only way)

I am with you that the problems lie with the on/off switch. Definately install a return spring or rubber band does the same job.

Good Luck and dont give up, simple things to fix and will help your vehicle and run times greatly.
i didnt buff it, didnt think id need that. but i will next time i attempt to glue em on.

Originally Posted by Nik
maybe you got one of those older spektrums that have the antenna routed under the board, reducing range?
no, its pretty new, i got it at christmas.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:33 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nik

LOL...he did say he had the manuals but I guess he NEVER reads them...
Old 03-30-2008, 03:39 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Iholla
LOL...he did say he had the manuals but I guess he NEVER reads them...
what??

was that supposed to be a joke/insult towards me??

i used to have the manual, then i brought it to the LHS and i forgot it there
Old 03-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by abailey21

No dude! I was trying to quote this guy as he said he has never seen 3000ft in a manual before and the guy after him shows him the page (13) that clearly stated 3000Ft...lol
SO I was saying He never reads his manual
Old 04-03-2008, 05:41 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Iholla
No dude! I was trying to quote this guy as he said he has never seen 3000ft in a manual before and the guy after him shows him the page (13) that clearly stated 3000Ft...lol
SO I was saying He never reads his manual
i read my manual, where else do you think i got the 3000 ft from.

and why would i read it? its all basic, common sense. i didnt really learn much.

when you buy items, do you read every page of the instruction book? wether its a fridge, car, box of nails, polysporin, etc...
Old 04-03-2008, 07:31 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by matts6887
make sure u have set and fully tested the failsafe. When the failsafe built into the spektrum system is functioning properly, when u turn off the transmitter, it should immediately apply full brake; if not then u probably need to go back and re-set the failsafe again. Just my .02 here is all
Matt, a suggestion if I may. Don't set full brake when setting up the failsafe. This puts the servo in a heavy load condition and if you happen to turn off the radio and not the receiver you are loading it until the battery runs down or the smoke lets out. Partial brake may not stop it quite as fast, but will stop it.

In response to the original question, I have no idea of total usable range but there is a little used road next to one of the local hobby shops that is a little over 900 feet long. No range problems standing at one end and driving to the other and returning.

Ed M.