Wiki Posts
Search

3000ft my ass....

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 05:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by weaponx
Just curious, whats the point of going that far in the first place? You not going to see the vehicle, and it will already be top outed (speed wise), long before you could have hit 3000 ft. Bullet proof vests say they can stop bullets, but why try........?

I agree. Like everyone else said check your batteries and make sure the fail safe is set correctly.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have the older generation spektrum the 3 not the 3.0.
Old 03-01-2008, 06:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

A friend of mine had a similar issue with a brand new spektrum DX3.0 installed in a Mugen MBX5R. The cause turned out to a servo wire damaged from contact with a sharp edge on the carbon fiber servo tray. It wasn't until he completely took the servo tray apart that the damage became apparent.

Many specifications are based on best case scenarios but, if the manual states you should get 3000 feet, then you should easily get 2/3 of that range (2000 feet) as it is well within the advertised range. Whether you would want to or not is not the issue; you paid for an advertised capability and you have a reasonable expectation to enjoy that level of performance.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I had a DX3.0 at one time and got rid of it. I had a similar situation as the original problem stated here. The problem in my case was the radio battery tray was junk and it would ever so slightly disconnect itself turning the radio off (I mean just a fraction of a second). Here is why that stinks worse with Spektrum.

In DSM technology, the radio, as soon as it is turned on, scans all 80 frequencies and finds an open one. Well, that takes a couple of seconds. Then it will "connect" with the RX. This is 2,3 maybe four seconds worth of time. So that is how long I was disconnected from my buggy, or whatever I was driving.
Very frustrating.
With this 2.4 system the technology will not allow interference, for two reasons. All 2.4 systems, radios, phones, anything 2.4, will scan looking for an open frequency before transmitting a signal. This way they will not transmit until they are on an open channel, and not causing interference.
Also, when you are binding your receiver to your radio that process gives your receiver a digital ID code that it will listen to. So in essence, your receiver will only listen to your radio and nothing else. Of course, it is man made and subject to being fallible just like we are.

I have been around many, many Spektrum radios all running at the same time. The only problems that I have encountered are: a bad switch, bad battery tray, bad servo, or someone trying to use an after-market failsafe with their Spektrum system. That is a bad idea. It just gums the whole works and performs poorly.

If you are having issues, check your radio battery tray, and switch. If you are still having problems, you should send the radio and receiver in for evaluation.

I hope you get everything straightened out soon.

Last edited by MrZero; 03-01-2008 at 07:16 AM. Reason: forgot a word
Old 03-01-2008, 09:10 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Vigilante212
I have the older generation spektrum the 3 not the 3.0.

I also have the older generation Spektrum. The only time I had a problem is when my transmitter voltage dropped below 10v. It kept kicking into failsafe mode. Of course I never tried driving it 3000ft away either
Old 03-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

My suggestion is to bind you reciever and radio again while having your throttle in the idle position. If signal is lost, it will return to this position. I had problems one day and was not happy about spektrum until I realized my on off switch was bad. Even if your switch is working right now, I would replace it regardless. It's a cheap item. I nice stout throttle return spring would be a good idea too. I use the one off of the Adam Drake Gas Truck. It comes with mounting loops and two springs. Good luck!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:10 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I set my failsafe in full brake for my spektrum so even if I loose signal it stops. It doesnt work for a low battery, but I dont let my batteries get low
Old 03-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

"Rule #2: dont try to make OP look stupid, it was a rough estimate you idiot."

That is funny as heck. You crack me up. Good luck with your spektrum you obviously sound like you know what your doing.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Spektrum doesnt glitch its rebooting when loss of power, like a computer. The first generation had a long 3 second reboot that seemed forever now they have it down to milli seconds, resulting in the same as a glitch.
I would say the battery or switch is at fault.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

the failsafe will not work at all if there is a loss of power for that you need a throttle return spring to pull the carb closed and that is the only solution i know of for a loss of power i hope that this helps
Old 03-01-2008, 02:50 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by MrZero
I had a DX3.0 at one time and got rid of it. I had a similar situation as the original problem stated here. The problem in my case was the radio battery tray was junk and it would ever so slightly disconnect itself turning the radio off (I mean just a fraction of a second). Here is why that stinks worse with Spektrum.

In DSM technology, the radio, as soon as it is turned on, scans all 80 frequencies and finds an open one. Well, that takes a couple of seconds. Then it will "connect" with the RX. This is 2,3 maybe four seconds worth of time. So that is how long I was disconnected from my buggy, or whatever I was driving.
Very frustrating.
With this 2.4 system the technology will not allow interference, for two reasons. All 2.4 systems, radios, phones, anything 2.4, will scan looking for an open frequency before transmitting a signal. This way they will not transmit until they are on an open channel, and not causing interference.
Also, when you are binding your receiver to your radio that process gives your receiver a digital ID code that it will listen to. So in essence, your receiver will only listen to your radio and nothing else. Of course, it is man made and subject to being fallible just like we are.

I have been around many, many Spektrum radios all running at the same time. The only problems that I have encountered are: a bad switch, bad battery tray, bad servo, or someone trying to use an after-market failsafe with their Spektrum system. That is a bad idea. It just gums the whole works and performs poorly.

If you are having issues, check your radio battery tray, and switch. If you are still having problems, you should send the radio and receiver in for evaluation.

I hope you get everything straightened out soon.

yeah, thats what it seems like for me, it takes like 3 seconds before i can use anything after i turn it on, sometimes i have to turn it off anf on twice to get it to work.

it is possible that one of my servo cords are cut a tiny tiny bit, but i doubt it, its also possible its my switch, so ill get that replaced, and i know at the time my battery was at about 70% full (estimate so Mikeinclown doesnt come in here acting like "mr exact numbers").

i dont think my antenna is the problem, ill have to re check everything once my new parts come in, ill re test it in the country.

thanks for all the help guys.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:01 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 85 (98%+)

So if you had the fail safe properly setup, how did it run away?
Old 03-01-2008, 03:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dubum
So if you had the fail safe properly setup, how did it run away?
now that i think about it... i dont even have a failsafe. i thought you guys were talking about the built in one that comes with the radio, it says it has its own little fail safe. but now that i go to carolinas, they have a little thing for 25$, that i dont have. so im buying one and hopefully that saves my car next time
Old 03-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Tech Elite

I have had my specktrum equiped buggy loose control before. It was because of a bad switch. Later I replaced my switch and battery. If a cell dumps in a reciever battery, the specktrum will loose control also.

There is the failsafe mode that you do have to program. That is when you do the inital binding.

As for the 3000 ft range, I would have to agree that it does have a good range well past 1500 feet. I have a specktrum in my 1/6 scale hydro with no problems running it. I just change out my batteries every year.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by GHETTOTEACHER
I have had my specktrum equiped buggy loose control before. It was because of a bad switch. Later I replaced my switch and battery. If a cell dumps in a reciever battery, the specktrum will loose control also.

There is the failsafe mode that you do have to program. That is when you do the inital binding.

As for the 3000 ft range, I would have to agree that it does have a good range well past 1500 feet. I have a specktrum in my 1/6 scale hydro with no problems running it. I just change out my batteries every year.

maybe its my switch... if i remember correctly im using the junk one out of my himoto buggy, im not sure about that though.

that initial binding failsafe is the one i thought you guys were talking about, not that little electric box thingy you can guy as an extra.

my battery is pretty much brand new, it doesnt fit in the box like its supposed to, so i wire it next to the throttle servo, and its fallen out a few times and banged the cement, got dragged for a bit, but i dont think i wrecked it.

ill chane my switch and see if that helps it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.