Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is 1/10scale Gas Truck down

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 06:01 AM
Tech Initiate

2wd 1/8 that would be AWSOME to see.
1/10 4wd is perfect for indoor. helps keep air quality up and track size not as important which both keeps operating costs down
Old 02-11-2008, 10:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You know, I'm kinda stuck in this rut. I like the gt2 and I wish the tracks were more 1/10 friendly and more racers came out with 1/10. Those associated diffs are indestructible...and some rpm arms up front and you can race for days. Same with a T4 lipo/brushless. I think it is more fun to see a 1/10 go flying over a huge triple than it does an 1/8. I don't know if it's just around here or what but I see a lot of 1/8 scale guys not keeping their engines running and breaking clutch bearings all the time and worrying about their diffs and which one is out. It's really unattractive to see that...and has resulted in me never owning one.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:45 PM
Tech Adept

Sooo if people want bigger...why didn't 1/5 scale ever take off? just wondering.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

1/5 is just too big for most tracks. An RTR 1/5 is more expensive than a 1/8 race setup.

1/8 cars and trucks break a lot less than gas trucks. They can handle rougher and slicker tracks which means the track owners can get by with less track maintenance. It means tracks do not need as much water during race day.

If you build a 1/8 shock correctly it can go for several races with no maintenance. My GT shock oil would be dirty after one qualifier. The diffs are the same way and although a lot of guys can get a ball diff to last several races the 1/8 gear diff is almost foolproof.

You can run tires until they are almost bald and still get around the track due to the 4wd. GT tires are often 1 or 2 run deals before the truck is literally undrivable. Truggy tires last significantly longer than buggy tires even.

The XXX-nt vehicles were notorious for breaking something if you did not land on all fours every time. 1/8 vehicles can cartwheel down the track all day and not break. When they do break their suspension arms cost the same as the GT.

1/8 is flat out faster on pretty much any layout and in the end most who race like more speed. The bigger car is also a little easier to see. The four wheel roost on loose tracks is also fun to watch.

I know several guys who were very fast, hardcore GT guys. They used to complain about the 1/8 vehicles quite a bit. Now they have all switched to 1/8 buggy and truggy and love it. They will even tell you the GT is more of a toy than the 1/8 vehicles.

The other thing is the excitement that a track full of 1/8 gas buggies generate due to engine noise alone is impressive. Electric is kind of boring after that. If you have never seen 10-15 really good gas drivers on the track for a main you will probably not get the big gas buggy thing.

GT and 2wd racing in general was always more popular in the US. 1/8 buggy was/is the dominant gas off-road class in the rest of the world and has been for years. I have ran all the off-road classes quite a bit and while the GT has a certain good feel to it the 1/8 buggy is much more drivable and quite a bit faster. The other side is it takes a lot of skill to be competitive in 1/8 because so many guys can at least get around the track okay. If you are not on your game you are lapped traffic.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

I never race 1/10 gas truck and I didnt read everyones post, so sorry if I repeat some things, but ever since the truggy class came along, I noticed the 1/10 gas truck started dying slowly at the races that I have attended. Wait till more manufacturers jump on the 1/12 scale truggy bandwagon.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:55 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Yep, I notice that ofna has a 1/12 Hyper ST coming out now. I just hope they don't try to combine the Jammin .5 and Hyper 1/12 ST with the gas trucks. I have read talks about that before. But the RC Pro series wouldn't allow it last year. I hope it's the same this year too.

Gas truck just seems to be all by it's self. Small block, 2wd. A league of it's own. I'm really hoping for some GT racing this year in the RC Pro races.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 54 (100%+)

Originally Posted by air8
Yep, I notice that ofna has a 1/12 Hyper ST coming out now. I just hope they don't try to combine the Jammin .5 and Hyper 1/12 ST with the gas trucks. I have read talks about that before. But the RC Pro series wouldn't allow it last year. I hope it's the same this year too.

Gas truck just seems to be all by it's self. Small block, 2wd. A league of it's own. I'm really hoping for some GT racing this year in the RC Pro races.
The races I have gone to put me in with 4wd elec. The race I am going to in April has me in with 2wd nitro.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Midwest Nitrocross is going to allow the Hyper Mini and the .5 in a class they call "Smallblock Stadium" this summer. Honestly as a GT2 racer, I'm not too concerned. The tracks we have in this area can be really rough, and from the pictures I've seen I don't think these 1/12th trucks have the suspension travel or tire size to cope with the conditions. Last summer Gas Truck turnout was low and more often than not I got fed to the Production Monster Truck class. I got around those lumbering giants easily enough, what's this tiny little thing supposed to do?

'Course, only way we'll know for sure is to actually race 'em. According to the series flyer on RCSignup the Smallblock Stadium field so far consists of my GT2, an original GT, a Losi XXX-NT, and a CRT .5
Old 02-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by windellmc
1/5 is just too big for most tracks. An RTR 1/5 is more expensive than a 1/8 race setup.

1/8 cars and trucks break a lot less than gas trucks. They can handle rougher and slicker tracks which means the track owners can get by with less track maintenance. It means tracks do not need as much water during race day.

If you build a 1/8 shock correctly it can go for several races with no maintenance. My GT shock oil would be dirty after one qualifier. The diffs are the same way and although a lot of guys can get a ball diff to last several races the 1/8 gear diff is almost foolproof.

You can run tires until they are almost bald and still get around the track due to the 4wd. GT tires are often 1 or 2 run deals before the truck is literally undrivable. Truggy tires last significantly longer than buggy tires even.

The XXX-nt vehicles were notorious for breaking something if you did not land on all fours every time. 1/8 vehicles can cartwheel down the track all day and not break. When they do break their suspension arms cost the same as the GT.

1/8 is flat out faster on pretty much any layout and in the end most who race like more speed. The bigger car is also a little easier to see. The four wheel roost on loose tracks is also fun to watch.

I know several guys who were very fast, hardcore GT guys. They used to complain about the 1/8 vehicles quite a bit. Now they have all switched to 1/8 buggy and truggy and love it. They will even tell you the GT is more of a toy than the 1/8 vehicles.

The other thing is the excitement that a track full of 1/8 gas buggies generate due to engine noise alone is impressive. Electric is kind of boring after that. If you have never seen 10-15 really good gas drivers on the track for a main you will probably not get the big gas buggy thing.

GT and 2wd racing in general was always more popular in the US. 1/8 buggy was/is the dominant gas off-road class in the rest of the world and has been for years. I have ran all the off-road classes quite a bit and while the GT has a certain good feel to it the 1/8 buggy is much more drivable and quite a bit faster. The other side is it takes a lot of skill to be competitive in 1/8 because so many guys can at least get around the track okay. If you are not on your game you are lapped traffic.

Well I think we already established that the losi xxx-nt was a piece of junk. You look at if funny and the thing falls apart. I ran the same tires on my gt2 all year at my track...it isn't clay though either...if we didn't water you wouldn't be able to see your car with the dust. yea I've seen a bunch of 1/8 scales in mains...half of them finished. I understand your other pros for 1/8 scale and it does make sense that certain people would choose that class.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Tech Elite

I ran the pi$$ out of my GT2 all last summer, both on and off the track. Had to top off shock oil once, all it's track time was on the same set of Medium compound Panther tires (which I should be able to get another summer out of), and the diff only let go at the end of the summer when I was being stupid in a sandpit. So I dunno where all these ideas about "disposable" Gas Truck gear is coming from...if you're burning tires off, maybe instead of saying "oh screw this" and dropping it you should maybe GET A HARDER TIRE
Old 02-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (97%+)

When I got back into the hobby last year, I originally wanted a an electric stadium truck. After going out to the local track, I quickly realized that with the way the track was setup, I NEEDED something bigger and more powerful just to get around the track. I thought about getting an RC10GT2 but there were only 2 or 3 other people to race with and they don't regularly show up to race out there so I ended up getting into 1:8 buggy like everybody else.

I understand that 1:8 is the new hot thing right now but it sucks that even if I did have a stadium truck, I wouldn't have the oppurtunity to race it at my local track.

I still want to get a GT2 but I have an RC fun drainer (wife) stopping me lol.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 89 (97%+)

Originally Posted by windellmc
They can handle rougher and slicker tracks which means the track owners can get by with less track maintenance.
Our track is blown out half way through the day when we have big races (50 or so racers)

my point is that 1/8 DEMOLISHES the track. I've never seen a 1/10 track but I would bet money that they are a lot easier on the track surface than 1/8's.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:22 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The only real advantage that 1/8th scale buggies or truggies have over 1/10
scale 2wd gas trucks is front wheel drive, if a truggy or buggy loses its front
wheel drive my little .12 cv-r xxx-nt will be all over it.
As far as ball diffs if you set them right it will last a long time.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gasser
The reasons I see the decline in 10th scale is 3 fold.

3. Most tracks are now being built for the bigger faster 8th scales and makes a boring drive with a 10th scale when most end up rolling the majority of the jumps as they are much harder or impossible to do for most.
Quite right. Bigger, faster, jump further.

As far as i can see a popular race class is always going to be the one most spectacular, easiest to get into and easier to get some sort of mastering of. A race class that requires more finesse and a developed skill to get any sort of result is going to be frustrating to start with and see people dialling out as fast as they get into it.

The finesse needed to race 1/8th at a high level however is very high indeed, to say it is point and squirt, as someone said earlier, is a gross overstatement. Thise cars are faster and jump further...

I got back into RC with 1/8th and hope 1/10th electric grows again as i am looking to take it up as a second class and improve my technical side of driving, personally i have never gotten 1/10th gas.. so i guess i am not really qualified to say much more!

Last edited by IanWright; 02-12-2008 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by IanWright
I got back into RC with 1/8th and hope 1/10th electric grows again as i am looking to take it up as a second class and improve my technical side of driving
See the problem with that mindset is, instead of building a fun class you're promoting the catch-22 that's keeping it down. "I'll get into the class once we get some more drivers for it," no, that doesn't work. Everybody's waiting for the class to grow before they show up with one, so nobody shows up. If you want 1/10th Electric to grow, you're gonna hafta take the initiative to get one yourself, bring it with you every week with the full intention of racing it that day, and if there is no class for it, show it around and practice with it to show everyone what a fun class it is. Waiting for someone else isn't going to get anything done.

I've said this many, many times since last summer: At every race I brought my Gas Truck to, I had at least 3 people walk up to me over the course of the day and tell me "hey, you're running a Gas Truck? I used to race those too, they were a blast to drive. I'd get back into it if we had a turnout for them". If all those people who had an old RC10GT rotting away in their basement took the time to bring the truck out to race, we'd HAVE a turnout for them. Instead they all get left at home, and for no real reason other than everyone expects 1/8th Buggy and Truggy to be the popular class. Even if it is, so what? If you want to race Gas Truck as well, don't abandon it like everyone else, bring it out and have fun with it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.