Community
Wiki Posts
Search

V-Spec or Ninja

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Parts are an issue to me. I've rebuilt many engines with no issue. If Mugen didn't drop GRP, then why is GRP building a new series of engines that are not Ninjas? I haven't seen any Ninja revisions yet. Also, if some driver's dropped the Ninja for JP Racing, then what is that saying about the Ninja line of engines. It wasn't only one driver. When parts are needed, they are needed, not when you get you arse off vacation. Ask the onrood guys about the engines, its a mixed response, so you may not hear about it here in the offroad section.

http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...p?storyid=3069
http://www.redrc.net/category/brand/jp-racing/
http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=196570

Last edited by ezveedub; 01-23-2008 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

I have had 4-5 V-Specs/Speed engines and 1 Ninja B01a. I like all 3 engines. My choice would be 1)Speed, 2)Ninja, 3)Vspec for power delivery. However, I have been looking for a piston and sleeve for my B01a since september. It's out of stock throughout North America. I read on Neo-buggy that GRP is coming out with a tuned line of engines this year and a non-tuned sport line. I don't know what that means for my piston and sleeve. OS engine parts are everywhere. Sometimes things happen like a wristpin clip comes loose and gouges the piston/sleeve and you just need that. It sucks I've been waiting for 4 months. I have many other engines to run but still, it's annoying.

I've known atleast 3 Ninja engines that only made 4 gallons and V-Specs with more than that so reliability I would say is the same. Ease of tune I find to be similar. Someone with alot of experience says that the OS is easier tuning than the Ninja. I find qualtiy is the same betwween them.

If I wasn't so annoyed with Ninja I'd pick it over the V-Spec.

I say OS engines.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:05 PM
Tech Regular

OS Vspec or think about the AXE rossi Cobra, really good engine, monster when tuned well.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by windellmc
Well the old 2006 Vspecs would split the case where the rod clearance is machined out. Now they split right down the middle on the bottom of the case.

I talked to Mugen today and was told the whole Mugen dropping GRP rumor got started because a Mugen sponsored driver switched engine sponsors. You guys can believe that or not.

Personally I don't care about parts availability on engines. I have never had good luck rebuilding any engine. After 5-7 gallons of racing every part in the thing needs replaced and that costs about as much as a new engine. Better off to get $75 out of the used one and buy new.
good lord you must make bank! thats like buying a new engine every 2 to 3 months or so!
Old 01-15-2008, 03:44 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Toycar5
I have had 4-5 V-Specs/Speed engines and 1 Ninja B01a. I like all 3 engines. My choice would be 1)Speed, 2)Ninja, 3)Vspec for power delivery. However, I have been looking for a piston and sleeve for my B01a since september. It's out of stock throughout North America. I read on Neo-buggy that GRP is coming out with a tuned line of engines this year and a non-tuned sport line. I don't know what that means for my piston and sleeve. OS engine parts are everywhere. Sometimes things happen like a wristpin clip comes loose and gouges the piston/sleeve and you just need that. It sucks I've been waiting for 4 months. I have many other engines to run but still, it's annoying.

I've known atleast 3 Ninja engines that only made 4 gallons and V-Specs with more than that so reliability I would say is the same. Ease of tune I find to be similar. Someone with alot of experience says that the OS is easier tuning than the Ninja. I find qualtiy is the same betwween them.

If I wasn't so annoyed with Ninja I'd pick it over the V-Spec.

I say OS engines.
+1... Man I work for a European company....and I don't get that much vacation!

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthre...=95814&page=45

Last edited by ezveedub; 01-15-2008 at 04:19 AM.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:02 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks for all the input guys. I've decided on the V-Spec. With all the hear say about parts availability, I don't need to be out of races for that. As one poster stated, OS parts are fairly easy to come by. Again thanks for all the input.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

http://www.redrc.net/2008/01/grp-to-...and/#more-7488
Old 01-23-2008, 08:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Looks like Ninjas will be made by a Japanese company soon. GRP is saying they will make Ninja parts for 2 more years.

I still think rebuilding engines costs more than buying new ones though.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Looks like Ninjas will be made by a Japanese company soon. GRP is saying they will make Ninja parts for 2 more years.

http://www.neobuggy.net/modules/news...p?storyid=3204

looks like the new Ninja could have some OS flavor...
Attached Thumbnails V-Spec or Ninja-nijniew.jpg  
Old 01-23-2008, 08:50 PM
Tech Elite

What are you trying to do when rebuilding? If you need a crank along with a P/S/R set, then yeah the engine is done for, but generally you only need P/S/R and bearings. Still cheaper than 300+ dollars for an engine.

Last edited by ezveedub; 01-23-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

You might as well stop the debate, the new ninja engines will be made by O.S.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:23 PM

Agent 007.5: Whats your source of this information?
Old 01-23-2008, 09:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

i dont think hes going to tell you hence the name AGENT 007.5
Old 01-23-2008, 11:12 PM
Tech Elite

Remember guys, OEM manufacturer's follow onroad results, NOT offroad. The Ninja series didn't fair well in the onroad, so mugen goes elsewhere. GRP will push their engine though the hobby flea market, Horizon Hobbies. Novarossi, O.S. and Picco/IDM/JLR are the big players in the onroad arena. As for the RB, they are not that great either in onroad, but for some unfore seen reason, some dyno tests show they are awesome, so go figure.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:19 AM
Tech Apprentice

There is only one Japanese engine maker for racing engines, and thats O.S. Take a very close look at the photo on neo-buggy of the new ninja. The carb is the same as the O.S. speed and so is the crank.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.