Wiki Posts
Search

How To remove Tires from wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 09:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SUNA
What is the best way to remove a tire and foam IF you want to re-use the tire and foam. I have a brand new Bowtie mounted on a MTR wheel and want to switch to a LPR. I repeat, I want to re-use the tire and foam.

I do the acetone thing if I want to only re-use the wheel.
BAKE THEM

200-250 for like 20 minutes... use gloves. Take them out and they almost fall apart.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SUNA
What is the best way to remove a tire and foam IF you want to re-use the tire and foam. I have a brand new Bowtie mounted on a MTR wheel and want to switch to a LPR. I repeat, I want to re-use the tire and foam.

I do the acetone thing if I want to only re-use the wheel.

do u have a wheel balancer and a heat gun ?
Old 02-23-2008, 10:06 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by F N CUDA
Absolutley best method is acetone.
Get a new empty paint can from Home Depot and a gallon of acetone.
When you put your tires in the half full paint can, squeeze em and let em fill up with acetone and they will sink.
When they easily peel apart after a COUPLE days amd you are very gentle you can save even the foams. They'll be huge and very delicate until they dry out but they will be good as new (if they were new when you soaked em).
I did this with brand new tires, rims and foams. Hated the firm foams and wanted to go to mediums but put the firms in a different set for a different application and everything was perfect, no picking or even wiping. Glue melted completely and tires were soft and fresh as new.
Thanks again Mr. Hartsen, Steven's dad.

I agree! Can't beat it. It removes all the glue, so you dont have to sand or pick the glue off the wheels or tires. I havent tried the oven method, but I have tried boiling the tires. Who wants to mess with scolding hot water while trying to peel tires off of rims? Not me. The acetone starts working only after about 15mn.
Old 02-23-2008, 12:14 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by BigRed
I agree! Can't beat it. It removes all the glue, so you dont have to sand or pick the glue off the wheels or tires. I havent tried the oven method, but I have tried boiling the tires. Who wants to mess with scolding hot water while trying to peel tires off of rims? Not me. The acetone starts working only after about 15mn.
ive always been a fan of the oven, i hate the acetone fumes and im sure a gallon of it isint cheap... the oven is damn near free... but is hasnt worked very well the last few times, i was using a toaster oven and maybe it didnt get hot enough.

ill have to try that acetone way. is it better to let the fumes eat away at the glue, or the actual liquid acetone to eat away at the glue?
Old 02-24-2008, 08:50 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

Acetone only has to be bought once in a while and has never ruined my foams, assuming my foams were still ok after wearing out the tires.
I mainly use it to save a set of rims.
Every little bit helps