Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Angling your tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 04:04 PM
Tech Regular

Default Angling your tires?

i changed the holes that i put the upper rear arm into, and it angles my tires, why does it do that? whats the point of having angled tires? front and or back? would you want them angle so that the bottom of the tire is closer to the inside of the car, or vice versa?
Old 11-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

check this article out...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Articles...ArticleID=1562
Old 11-28-2007, 04:28 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the link.....this newb learned alot from that article!
Old 11-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Tech Regular

the only thing i learned was that my car has positive camber in the back. it wasnt my suspension i needed help with, its the camber, what does it do? is it good if i have it in rear only? positive or negative?
Old 11-28-2007, 10:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Never seen anyone run positive camber. Its always negative. Generally more negative gives more grip in cornering, but actually how much will be determined by you cars tire and setup.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:23 AM
Tech Master

You also learned to call it by its proper name...Camber...

Mmmm.... you didn't read the article... You read the "Glossary".....

Because you don't mention "roll center" which is discussed in the body of the article and which is what you are asking about...

Oy, "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink..."

Do a google search for RC car suspension tuning...you'll find TONS of articles on what it does...

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5
the only thing i learned was that my car has positive camber in the back. it wasnt my suspension i needed help with, its the camber, what does it do? is it good if i have it in rear only? positive or negative?
Old 11-29-2007, 04:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Never run positive camber. Always run a slight amount of negative camber. Negative camber is where the tops of the tyres are closer than the bottoms. You normally want to run about 1 or 2 degrees of negative camber. If you're just bashing around, just looking at the tyre and getting them all slightly cambered negatively but the same angle should be fine.

If you change the positioning of the suspension links, you will need to reset your camber. Normally the top link is a turnbuckle which you can shorten to adjust camber. What car do you have?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Turbine_au
Never run positive camber. Always run a slight amount of negative camber. Negative camber is where the tops of the tyres are closer than the bottoms. You normally want to run about 1 or 2 degrees of negative camber. If you're just bashing around, just looking at the tyre and getting them all slightly cambered negatively but the same angle should be fine.

If you change the positioning of the suspension links, you will need to reset your camber. Normally the top link is a turnbuckle which you can shorten to adjust camber. What car do you have?
im doing this on a himoto...

and to bushyar: i did read some of the article, but thats not what im looking for, thats a little too advanced for me, i dont even know what most of the terms he was using are. i dont know why some 'noob' asking about camber should be sent to an advanced interview about suspension (wtf?!?). i dont need help with my suspension or my "roll center". its "tire angling" im concerned about. thanks anyways.

i asked why do people angle tires, and whats better, positive or negative?" i dont want a bunch of fine tuning tips, i dont race, i just bash around, i couldnt care less if my car isint set up 100% perfectly, i just like to have fun and try out different things, hell, i may even try one tire having positive camber, one tire having negative camber!, its not all about getting 100% maximum performance outta my car, its only a junk himoto, and i only bash. i just wanna have fun and learn the basics (for now)

so i ask again: what does camber to? why does that one guy say never run positive camber?? thats the only option on my car... is to make the bottoms of the tire closer to the centerline, and the tops further away.

do i want camber on all 4 tires? my himoto only has options of putting camber on the rear tires? and only positive camber? is this just because its a junk himoto and those chinamen dont know what theyre doing or what?
Old 11-29-2007, 12:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

You always want slight negative camber. The reason is that when you turn the car into a corner, the weight of the car will cause the tire to lean slightly. With slight negative camber, the leaning of car will cause the entire surface of the tire to contact the ground. With 0 camber or positive camber, you start losing the entire contact patch of the tire as you corner harder.

When I say "slight" negative camber, I'm talking 3 degrees or less. A good, cheap way to measure it is to put a soda can next to the wheel and eyeballing it. The gap between the top of the soda can and the top of the wheel should be 1/8" or less.

All four wheels will benefit from having negative camber, as well. This doesn't just apply to the rears.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:18 PM
Tech Master

Thats a VERY basic article. If you don't understand the language, maybe you don't speak english....

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5
im doing this on a himoto...

and to bushyar: i did read some of the article, but thats not what im looking for, thats a little too advanced for me, i dont even know what most of the terms he was using are. i dont know why some 'noob' asking about camber should be sent to an advanced interview about suspension (wtf?!?). i dont need help with my suspension or my "roll center". its "tire angling" im concerned about. thanks anyways.

i asked why do people angle tires, and whats better, positive or negative?" i dont want a bunch of fine tuning tips, i dont race, i just bash around, i couldnt care less if my car isint set up 100% perfectly, i just like to have fun and try out different things, hell, i may even try one tire having positive camber, one tire having negative camber!, its not all about getting 100% maximum performance outta my car, its only a junk himoto, and i only bash. i just wanna have fun and learn the basics (for now)

so i ask again: what does camber to? why does that one guy say never run positive camber?? thats the only option on my car... is to make the bottoms of the tire closer to the centerline, and the tops further away.

do i want camber on all 4 tires? my himoto only has options of putting camber on the rear tires? and only positive camber? is this just because its a junk himoto and those chinamen dont know what theyre doing or what?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by bushyar15
Thats a VERY basic article. If you don't understand the language, maybe you don't speak english....
i could read it, its just most of the rc terms im not familiar with, nor do i care because im not concerned if im getting 100% outta my car. 98% is fine for what i do, i have room to have adjustment errors, im new to this and when bashing, i dont even tend to notice. and that was all about suspension... which again, isint what i was asking about. thanks anyways.

and thanks a lot scartissue, thats exactly what i was looking for, it makes scense now.

so now that you say that, the positive camber on my himoto is going to make it have even less traction!, its already bad because the steering servo sucks and ive got a LRP .28 szpec in that buggy, isint that an engine for a truggy? it goes pretty good in a buggy.

why would my car even have positive camber? how does neg camber affect your car when driving straight? just a little less traction when driving straight, but more traction in the corners?
Old 11-29-2007, 03:24 PM
Tech Master

You may not care how to set-up your car 100% but you need to understand enough about your suspension to ask the question.

"and that was all about suspension... which again, isint what i was asking about. thanks anyways.

You are asking about suspension beleive it or not.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 85 (98%+)

If your so high and mighty and continue saying things like I don't care, I don't care then why do you bother. Angling your tires, what does that mean? I don't get it. I know what camber is though. Doesn't angling have something to do with fishing? Oh well, I don't care! Good luck!
Old 11-29-2007, 04:48 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by dubum
If your so high and mighty and continue saying things like I don't care, I don't care then why do you bother. Angling your tires, what does that mean? I don't get it. I know what camber is though. Doesn't angling have something to do with fishing? Oh well, I don't care! Good luck!
LOL, i think your taking this a little too seriously, im obviously new to this. all i asked was a question about "angling" (yes, the fishing angling...) your tires, not to be given an interview on some guy asking about suspension. my car doesnt even have most of those adjustments in that article, did you see their example buggy!, im running a himoto ATM for christ sake.

and why does "i dont care" offend you so much? like i said, i think your taking this a little too seriously, are RC cars the only thing you care about? i couldnt care less if my car does/doesnt perform like its supposed to. im not a hardcore racer like you dubum, im not running a 1500$ buggy, i have better things to do then take my car completely apart after every time i drive it, and make those 1mm fine tune adjustments to it, as long as the engine starts and my servos work, thats all that matters, i do it for fun, I DONT CARE! this is a junk himoto and i was just curious as to why you would want your tires on an angle, not a whole interview on suspension tuning tips, and a glossary and all that other junk i didnt ask for.

it has nothing to do with suspension my himoto suspension isint that "intense", i understand how suspension works, it has to do with how much bite your getting, scartissue explained it good and thats all i was looking for, i wanted a human answer, not the generic "google it" or "post a pointless link" most of your guys came in here giving me info i dont need/want.

my questions answered, thanks scar tissue. thats all i needed, not some lecture about how i shouldnt be helped because i said "i dont care" or i used a wrong term.

/thread
Old 11-29-2007, 08:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you don't care about your car, then why should you care about the wheel angles? Run them positive, it shouldn't matter, because you don't care. The issue is your asking questions in a forum where people care about their car, and the answers provided are to IMPROVE their car, but you seem to NOT want to read and only ask questions that really don't matter, becuase you don't care and waste everyone's time.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.