Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LOSI 8 OR ASSOCIATED 8 which is BEST?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Love my losi. They swep the podium at my local tracks race. I personally have never broken anything on mine.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:20 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Id say pick the logo that looks the coolest and go with that! AE
Old 11-30-2007, 10:32 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I ran an 8ight all season. I believe the car is extremely durable, although I agree that parts wear is high. The car is EXTREMELY fast on smooth tracks, launches off of jump faces better than anything else out there and gets around corners very efficiently, but I thought it was terrible on rough tracks. So much so that I've switched to a Kyosho.

I haven't driven an RC8. What I've seen from some locals who got them and anecdotal evidence on the internetz is that they're fragile and the factory assembly quality is poor. Watch out for breakage from the upper front hinge pin block the most. The car looks very good on the track, and definitely turns fast laps. I think the fragility of the car is due to teething issues like the Losi had when it first came out and it will eventually toughen up.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by PTP Racing
Zardoz try thinner center diff oil. It really helps in loose conditions.
Interesting. I wouldn't have thought about that. Although, it's not necessarily a bad thing either, although if it's to an extreme, that doesn't work.
Old 12-01-2007, 07:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I'm a pretty smooth driver and the Losi likes to be driven smooth and easy. The RC8 seems to like being tossed around a bit more. Even though my driving style is pretty smooth sometimes its more fun to drive the car that likes being tossed around.

I did read people complaining about breaking the front upper plate. Enough did that AE redesigned the plate and will ship you one free if you just call and ask. I boiled the original one just in case while I waited for the new one to ship. The build quality was pretty good but not as good as I would have done myself. I took the time to rebuild the diffs and shocks when I got it and they were all full. The only problem I had was 2 small screws that hold the rear hinge pin in were loctited and I stripped them trying to remove them. But I had read it could have been a problem and the easy remedy was to heat them before trying to remove them. I was just in a rush.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:19 AM
Tech Addict

just got the rc8 today... was in ultimate hobbies today and was deciding between the losi and the rc8... was a tough call, but have to decide anyway...

i had driven the losi back home from a friend... it's a car that can really jump (compared to the xray...)... was skeptical of the longevity as i see them breaking more often than the xray... but i think this is not a fair comparison as the xray almost never breaks....

since i have tried the losi, i guess i have to try the rc8 to see which one fairs better... after owning the t4 and the b4 from AE, i'm pretty sure that this is another quality product...

just opened the box to have a look at the car... was a little disappointed with the quality of the car... maybe i was so used to the xray, i was taken aback when i saw the toe plates on the rc8... the car looks very unfinished to me... will, not fair again as compared to xray... i remeber the losi was a little better finished....

but i must saw the design of the car is really nice... and those 'not so nice parts' was there for a reason (i guess)... the car feels really light!!! i supposed it'll jump well...

as i mentioned earlier, i'm so used to the xray quality, i had to order all the stuff available from kingheadz to narrow the gap...

hope i didn't make a mistake.... 2 cents...
Old 12-02-2007, 01:25 AM
Tech Addict

i forgot to mentioned....

i was putting the car together about an hour ago, and notice that there's a part that is short in the kit...

it's the RX switch case for the radion box... i'll suggest that you open the box to check the stuff before leaving the shop...

guess i have to go back to ulitimate hobbies tomorrow morning... not sure if they'll replace the missing part....
Old 12-02-2007, 04:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well I guess it's my turn to comment , not that it is worth much, but you can take it as you see fit.
I have allways run Kyosho and except for the MP5 and SP1 they have been really great cars! Handle great ,jump incredible, when set up correctly, and will out turn just about anything on the market!
Well fell on hard times and had to unload all my K stuff at the end of last season, took me until the middle of this summer to recover, but got a Losi from a friend and was able to give the Losi some serious thumping . I pumped a case of fuel through it ! Fixed all that needed attension and kept on thumping! I will say this ! Losi's like to be driven smooth, So does a K car, Losi's DO NOT JUMP WELL !! They love to scallop out the face of jumps, and land nose down, Now this was not only my car BUT EVERY Losi at my track!!
When the mains were 30 plus minutes long the K cars would catch right up to the Losi's and getthem because the jumps were getting ruined.
Now you could say "well build better jumps" ..,Why ? when all the brand of cars didn't have any troubles ??
Well to make a long story short I HATED the Losi !! You can't push it either
as it gets very unstable off jumps and in high speed turns .
For next season I am going to whip the dickens out of the RC8 and we will see if it will be Kyosho or AE that will be the "House Car " at ETMR .
Old 12-02-2007, 08:16 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Keith- check out a new AE in person before you buy one. I have, and quite frankly, thought that a Nikko from Radio Shack had a higher quality to it. Very sloppy from the start, comparable to a Losi with about 4 gallons on it.
Old 12-02-2007, 08:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I own/have owned both. While the RC8 does have a little slop... it's no way close to the amount of slop the 8ight has especially in the steering. Even with the slop, it doesn't seem to effect handling. 8ight, RC8, Kyosho, Jammin are the cars consistently making the show here.
Old 12-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Kevin , I have seen it up close and I really liked it , I'm not worried about the slop, as I think I might be able to fix that, as for the Lousi? There was no way to fix the sloppy steering ,and the short suspension arms on it made it handle crappy when things got rough , you know , you ran one ..... I know the qualitiy isn't as fancy as the XRay but I really don't think it's nessesary,
I would run the K car but it is priced rediculous ,and I don't want anymore used stuff, too much nickle and dime stuff when getting a used ride.
I hope your going to be ready for this Spring at ETMR ,It's going to be incredible , I have some really nice changes going down !!
Old 12-03-2007, 12:19 PM
Tech Elite

Its lighter than say a Mugen or KCar, but also doens't have the strength in parts. The axles bend very easy on the front. Wear & tear is more also. It will need more maintainence. I know 2 people running RC8s and they have had both MP777 & MBX5 cars. The RC8 is more reactive to input. Your going to trade off something to gain something, thats just how it is in this hobby.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:37 PM
Tech Elite

If your 8ight is handling the rough stuff like crap, you definitely most likely have it setup wrong. As far as short suspension arms? WTF? My 8ight and my friends 8ights here handle the rough stuff wonderfully. Usually that means your dampening is too hard.
Old 12-03-2007, 02:28 PM
Tech Master

I have both cars. My Losi is a year old and has been a great car, I like the handling alot. My RC8 has just 3 gallons on it now and I think I like it better. The RC8 has not broken a single thing (not even the dreaded top plate). I will agree that AE's QA is not that good as my car came with some defects BUT AE's customer service has been OUTSTANDING in taking care of my issues. One of the things about the Losi that was driving me crazy is their use of odd screws & all the different bearing sizes they use. Who puts 5-40 & 4-40 screws in the same car? I can't even tell you how many different bearing sizes are in the Losi. I will also add the RC8 is easier to work on & I only know that because I took out all the diffs to check the fluids otherwise I have not worked on it (except clutch maintainance).
Old 12-03-2007, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Reznor88
Well said damo666...

Like I said b4, all the pro buggies currently on the market are good - you simply can't go wrong.

The biggest mistake you can make is listening to people DOMIT who critique every little minute detail. They also think they know everything.

Have an open mind, grab a competition level buggy and GO RACING!

1/8 Scale Buggy Racing is for men.... whiners like DOMIT don't belong.
I agree with u Reznor, all pro buggies are good, buy the one with parts availability and what other ppl are using at your track, this is especially true for new-b's so they can obtain help.

A new-b will not really be faster/slower with any of the pro buggies.

DOMIT has some descent things to say but can be a little opinionated, state the facts, its all ppl need or ask.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.