Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 05:28 AM
Tech Addict

I wouldn't buy that buggy myself but... if it is one of the best supported platforms in your area then it sure is nice when you break a part or wear one out to just go to the lhs and you're back up and running. I hate it when something breaks and you end up having to order it over the web and wait for a number of days for the part to come in.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Drew Manzella
Having owned a GS for a while my feeling is the same. I went from an MP6 International to a GS Storm (Because I didn't want to spend on an MP7) and then a Kanai III when it came out, because I realized that, although it never broke, it never quite ran with my MP6, which was an older car.
I had a MP6 International to and I traded it to a Storm Pro and after that I had a Storm Pro LM. At the time I think the storm was a lot better than the MP6, it had better handling and more steering. I have friends that run CL1's and IMO they are at the same level as other buggys (such as Mugen, Kyosho). One of my friends traded a prospec for the cl1, and he's having better results with the GS.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

The CL-1 is a great buggy, just get it and start putting the whooping on the competition. I also heard that GS is in the works of updating the CL-1....lots of testing going on right now!! Until then, get the CL-1 and have fun.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:14 AM
Tech Addict

You asked for opinions and when people give them you end up telling them they are wrong, just go buy the GS Buggy and be happy since it must be the best buggy on the face of the planet
Old 11-25-2007, 06:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Warhawk 1
You asked for opinions and when people give them you end up telling them they are wrong, just go buy the GS Buggy and be happy since it must be the best buggy on the face of the planet
I'm not saying that people are wrong or the GS is the best buggy in the planet... As you can read on my previous post I said IMO the GS is at the same level as others, not better, not worse...

I just want to have a healthy discution about the two cars I'm trying to decide about. Pros, cons etc...
Again RC8 and GS, not mugen, kyosho, jammin etc. I know there are a lot more brands that are good...
Old 11-25-2007, 06:41 AM
Tech Initiate

10 hours endurance results
Old 11-25-2007, 09:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

CEN Matrix
headrushhobbies.com
Old 11-25-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

hey the 10 endurance race is cool 2nd, 3rd and 4th were Jammin/ofna
I love my Losi 8ight but my jammin is built like a rock!

Keep your mugen and do the "R" upgrade(MBX-5R) if you already have not done it.
Mugens are great cars.
never herd of much reliability issues with them.
Here in the states I rarely see a GS so i cant say about the CL-1

A bunch of guys at a club I race at have boughten RC8's and like them with only minor problems But Associated sometimes is tough to get tech help from or warranty work out of. The RC8 Drives like a Losi 8ight so I've been told.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

I went from a 5R to an RC8. The RC8 has better acceleration, better turn in, holds a line better and exits a corner better. It is not quite as stable as the Mugen. I ran the MBX5, then the 5R, since it came out (4 or 5 years ago). So I had plenty of time with the Mugens. I have about 1.5 gallons on the RC8 and no broken parts so far. I would suggest maybe a new upper plate, but that would be about it. Any buggy will break.....I have seen one of the fastest drivers in our area (sponsored) snap a KHZ shock tower in two (trying to take the fast line cutting a corner). I am happy with my switch from the Mugen to the Associated.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:20 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default GS or ASSOC?

Having beem a loyal GS supporter since the storm. I do have a vested interest. I now run the CL-1 pro unit. I use some other brands parts like so many do. Kyosho lightened spur - 16mm HD shocks ECT. This disscusion is whats wrong with this hobbie. You have the few club racers that enjoy the hobbie, and you have the roger penske wanna bees that will take you out to further the postion in the F-main, Its what works best for you. GS is serviced in my area. Thats why I have a CL-1 and a XUT. For a hobbie that you have to be at the very top 1-2% of the racing gang to even make it worth youre while. The best of the best equitment would do then. But to have fun at it and put a BOOOO YAAAAA on the wanna bees. The CL-1 for the money sure fills the bill for me. I have spent way too much money on these little cars to not have fun with them. For me thats the best part. Some get it. sadly some dont. Just flip a few over and off the drivers stand when they cuss at the turn marshalls and youll see what I mean. LOL. I hope this little rant helps ya.

CHUNK>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Old 11-26-2007, 04:00 AM
Tech Initiate

Does anyone know what parts will be released by AE to solve the RC8 issues?
Is there anyone who runs RC8's and as broken some parts that in the same situation another buggy wouldn't break?
One of the main issues is the upper plate, from what I've read. As I mencioned before I want a buggy that out of the box will be reliable and a good "performer". (if the updated parts from AE will be given to RC8 custumers free of charge, I'll consider it as out of the box...)
Old 11-26-2007, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There is already an updated upper plate available in the US for the RC8. I'm sure there are aluminum upgrades that will be available for this part from multiple companies soon. I think driving an RC8 will be a continual battle for rear traction unless you run on very high traction tracks.

The GS is an older car, but I have heard it is good. There are very few in the US though. I think the Avenger (and Storm to a lesser extent) really turned people off the GS product in the US.

As to your Mugen the 5R shocks are a huge improvement over the old shocks. We noticed before the 5R that a Mugen would get slower and slower the longer you had it. We could never figure out what part was bad. The shocks would start turning the shock oil a nice shade of silver/gray. The 5R shocks have a coating like Kyosho shocks. Now the 5R stays fast as long as you own it and the shock oil stays clear.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:54 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by abranco
Does anyone know what parts will be released by AE to solve the RC8 issues?
Is there anyone who runs RC8's and as broken some parts that in the same situation another buggy wouldn't break?
One of the main issues is the upper plate, from what I've read. As I mencioned before I want a buggy that out of the box will be reliable and a good "performer". (if the updated parts from AE will be given to RC8 custumers free of charge, I'll consider it as out of the box...)
I've run my RC8 for about two gallons. The top plate is a weak point that Associated fixed, but you will want to run the King Headz or other aluminum version of this piece.

Other than that, I haven't had anything break or cause any problems. I am running the stock clutch setup, some tweaks to the setup.

If there are other issues I haven't heard of them or haven't faced them yet.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson
raced with some RC8's, and they had nothing but problems...one of the guys did not finish the amain cause of breaking, and the other guy went back to his Hyper 8, cause the RC8 kept breaking, but its your call...
What was breaking?
Old 11-26-2007, 08:46 PM
vr6
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

i;m glad i came across this thread, i myself was looking at the rc8 to get. i used to have an 8ight, but i could't get consistant lap times out, it is definitely a car for the more smoother driver. i could drive a mugen car way better than my 8ight. i'm still considering the mbx5r, but with the cost of parts, tuning items, it makes the rc8 look a bit more appealing.

in the winter, i will race in an indoor clay track(leisure hours) and in the summer, i will race in tracks mostly in wisconsin and sometimes in illinois

so i want to get a buggy that will be fairly easy to tune, without buying a full set of springs, sway bars and also rear plates

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.