Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Nitro Off-Road
Calling All Engine Whores:  MBX5T Racing On Road Truggy... >

Calling All Engine Whores: MBX5T Racing On Road Truggy...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calling All Engine Whores: MBX5T Racing On Road Truggy...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 04:13 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jason Halvorson
im not being go tech bias cause im a sponsored driver...i was pro go tech before i was go tech sponsored, and i was running werks engines then, not go tech...

GO TECH ENGINES REALLY ARE THAT GOOD!!!!!!!!!
Ditto. I only accepted a Go Tech deal because I truly believe in the engines. I've seen far too many local guys who took any deal they could get only to find out the product wasn't all it was cracked up to be and finally dropping the deal. And BTW, one guy was a Werks driver...
Old 11-10-2007, 05:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Ok well the only thing that I recommend is you get something that you can still use to race with. Even tho this is your play truggy, you might want to eventually race it, so get something that is capable of high speed runs and racing. Just my .02 cents
Old 11-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Rex 421B - Just started break-in...

I landed on a Rex PR-421B. Thing sounds SICK... It's chilly today though- I wrapped up the cooling head in foil, so it could heat up quicker. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the sleeve etc up to temp so I can let it idle for a couple of tanks??

Basically I ran it 25% throttle max (set through radio) and chug-chugged it around a little, just to put a little resistance on it, to generate more heat. Doing so, without touching main needle, let's me get it to about 180-190 or so, in just about 30seconds or so, and then I let it idle through the rest of the tank, while it's up to temp. Does everyone agree with this?

After 2-3 tanks of idle, I'll be running it, with say 40% max-throttle dialed into radio - til about 6-8 tanks, where I'll bring it up to about 75%, and then start fine tuning from there.

Just want to know if you guys agree with getting it to temp like this, so it's hot before letting it try to idle cold..
Old 11-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

use a heat gun to heat up the block to around 180 to 200, then use the tin foil to keep the heat in the cooling head...
Old 11-11-2007, 12:32 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScudMan
I landed on a Rex PR-421B. Thing sounds SICK... It's chilly today though- I wrapped up the cooling head in foil, so it could heat up quicker. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get the sleeve etc up to temp so I can let it idle for a couple of tanks??

Basically I ran it 25% throttle max (set through radio) and chug-chugged it around a little, just to put a little resistance on it, to generate more heat. Doing so, without touching main needle, let's me get it to about 180-190 or so, in just about 30seconds or so, and then I let it idle through the rest of the tank, while it's up to temp. Does everyone agree with this?

After 2-3 tanks of idle, I'll be running it, with say 40% max-throttle dialed into radio - til about 6-8 tanks, where I'll bring it up to about 75%, and then start fine tuning from there.

Just want to know if you guys agree with getting it to temp like this, so it's hot before letting it try to idle cold..

that is a very strong .21...likely the most powerful offroad 21 Nova has ever made...!!!
Old 11-11-2007, 05:21 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Maximo
that is a very strong .21...likely the most powerful offroad 21 Nova has ever made...!!!
you think i made a better choice than a 528XR ???
Old 11-11-2007, 11:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScudMan

you think i made a better choice than a 528XR ???

Well thats a very stout .21 you bought...not the highest revving .21, but it does have a pretty big peak HP for a .21..... it will perform very good for you for sure...that motor makes enough power that you will likely be able to push a little bigger clutchbell then a motor like a V-Spec......

Now as for a .21 vs a .28... Well honestly for bashing around a parking lot both motors can do very well.. But IMHO a high poweed 28 would have been a better choice... the .28 will have alot more tourque, so it will be able to push a taller gear ratio..which will allow the Truggy to reach higher speeds at lower RPM's........ A big powerful .28 will rocket a truggy across a parking lot all day long and not break a sweat... On the other hand for a ,21 to give the same level of exitement your going to have to rev the motor much higher and push it much harder.... For parking lot duty a strong 28 will likely last alot longer and not have to work nearly as hard.......
Old 11-12-2007, 01:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

A friend of mine had a Nova 528 in his truggy and it was really very sluggish. He's running a Werks B7Pro now (as am I) and it is so much faster its not even funny.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Current Set up

Right now Im running a 14t hardened bell on a 421B. I'm using a JP2 pipe- so hopefully this should give me a even spread of power, and good solid midrange as well as good top.

THe engine literally has TWO tanks throug it! Mostly idled- just a little running around to get it up to temp, as listed above. I'm gonna finish breaking it in hopefully this afternoon, when i get home from work.

I agree with the comentary on 28s and not working so hard... but I think alot depends on the quality and care taken during break-in.... I have a werks .26 in a mayhem- I took my sweet-ass time and really broke her in right (one of my first nitros ever actually) and to this day, that motor RUNS LIKE A BASTARD - it must have 4 gallons through it cumuluatively, and it still screams.

hope my 421b will be a reliable screamer...