Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK TRUGGY

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 08:56 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Sorry i have to laugh at your first sentence. You are a marketing executive's poster-boy. What you state is EXACTLY the type of mentality any industry hopes for. That last years model isn't good enough and if its older than that its an antique.

I don't know about you, but for me you can't put a price on a durable vehicle. You can't win if you can't finish due to a broken part.

I'm not anti-losi, I've still got an 8ight-T ready to go. But just read through one of the many threads or posts regarding truggies on any message board....

The 8ight-T has had the following documented issues. Some of which I encountered myself...

1) Rod-ends popping off. Yeah, minor but again, if this happens during a race, it either puts you down the order or ends your day.

2) Plastic Rear diff spacers that fail. If this wasn't a problem why did losi produce an aluminum version? And by the way, mine did fail.

3) Stripping servos - Now I've heard everyone say; "its poor epa set-up", "you didn't use the rubber grommets", "You didn't do this or that".... Well plain and simple it is a problem. I'm no noob, I've been into this hobby longer than most people on this board have been alive. This is an issue which is "mitigated" through some good practices.

4) Clutch bell bearing issues - For whatever reason, the 8ight-T eats through clutchbell bearings. After just a few heats or the like you can feel the the notchyness develop, with the bearings...

With the Mugen I've only seen a few minor issues which were/are isolated. The STR did have some issues early on with the diff pinion, but that was due to improper lengths of the chassis braces...

With regard to hop-ups.... IMO if the truggy is designed and built correctly, there is no need for hop-ups. How many hop-ups do you see Mugen producing for their MBX5T prospec vs. say your TT, or Team Losi?

I rest my case

Originally Posted by sickboy
So a 5T and a ST-RR are the best values I dont think $700+ for a two year old design roller is all that great of a deal. The TTR rtr looks like a great value, lots of hop-ups are availible if you choose to down the road. The Jammin rtr is a great truggy that can also be upgraded to a pro kit. The 8ight-T rtr is probably the best value, it can be upgraded to a pro kit and comes with a Spektrum radio. If you go with the 5T or the ST-RR, its going to cost you $1,200 just to have the equivilant to a $575 Losi 8ight-T rtr. Keep in mind, most people will tell you whatever they dont have sucks and thier brand is the best (until they get something else). I personally run a 8ight-T pro kit, but I will tell you that all three of the above rtr kits are better VALUES than my $1,800+ pro kit.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:35 AM
Tech Champion

This is the lamest playboy I have ever seen...... buying the best bang of the buck from the cheapest website. And he doesn't reply anything or say something to appreciate your comments either
Old 11-12-2007, 09:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Old 11-12-2007, 10:55 AM
Tech Regular

the only TWO truggies worth looking at are the Losi 8ight T and the Mugen MBX5T... these two truggy dominate every race... the Xray is nice BUT not enough demand for spare parts... The best thing to do is ask your LHS and see what spares are most available for what truck.
Old 11-12-2007, 10:58 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by cheesecake
thunder tiger st1 best bang for the buck no comparison
LOL... OUT DATED crap! LOL
Old 11-12-2007, 11:29 AM
Tech Lord

I'm surprised that no one mentioned the GS XUT. An excellent deal. It would rate right at the top for "Best Bang for the Buck". GS makes a very durable and very fast Truggy, They are well know in Europe and Asia, They really have not made that big of an impact in the USA on the racing scene (they have only one team driver). With the Pro ARR at $429 and the RTR at $359 I would rate them as Great deals. The suspension (type) and the way the truck is layed out is very close to the Mugen 5T. The Truggy works GREAT on blown out tracks. In its day the old storm was a good truggy..GS Has always made a very rugged 1/8th.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Any reason why no one's mentioned the Inferno ST Sports? Looking into one for my gf and my LHS has one for $380. Looks fairly similar to my ST-R from what I've seen on Kyosho's site and I've been told that the engine's the only drawback.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:26 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Caster Racing K8T. www.teamcasterracing.com 425 street price
Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

+1 on the caster truggy. Awesome racing.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Tech Master

IMHO, RTRs aren't really "best bang for the buck". They are a relatively "inexpensive" way to get into the hobby. Most people that I know of that start with an RTR, quickly start upgrading parts. In the end they spend more than if they had bought the items they really wanted seperately...

Originally Posted by SMcpot
Any reason why no one's mentioned the Inferno ST Sports? Looking into one for my gf and my LHS has one for $380. Looks fairly similar to my ST-R from what I've seen on Kyosho's site and I've been told that the engine's the only drawback.
Old 11-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by bushyar15
IMHO, RTRs aren't really "best bang for the buck". They are a relatively "inexpensive" way to get into the hobby. Most people that I know of that start with an RTR, quickly start upgrading parts. In the end they spend more than if they had bought the items they really wanted separately...
Very true..But sometimes our "significant other" wont go for a $1200 initial investment..So we just nickle and dime em..lol..I buy used, I am very selective in what I buy and I know what I'm looking at and for. I bought a Jammin CRT Pro for $250 that had a brand new Ofna 28. (the Jammin started out life as an RTR but the guy converted it..never used the motor from the RTR) I already have Radios/servos and all the support equipment, Used is a good option for me..I did say used not used up..lol