Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Picking Sons First Buggy kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

For a beginner nitro driver I would not get a losi or an RC8. They are not forgiving and take more to drive fast (yes, I have driven them both).

IMO I would either get a mugen or the hyper 8.5. They are stable, tough, and easy to drive.

One of the most important factors in getting a car(especially a new driver) is to pick a car that people race where you do. This way you can get help in setup tips and driving tips. anyway, my 2 cents (in my 20yrs of rc racing)
Old 12-30-2007, 03:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would strongly consider the Xray XB8 line of cars.The cars are very fast,extremely durable, and very very foregiving so I would really consider it.I have had mine for a little longer than a year and I still love driving it everytime I take the car out.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i would go with a mugen. i will be going on my second season on my R and have not had to replace many parts at all. just a few shock ends and some tweaked rear arms. nothing in the drive train was replaced but clutch shoes and bearings...good car from which to learn from and it is still very competitive. probably the best rough track buggy out there still as well, with or without big bores.
Old 12-30-2007, 04:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

OCM would be a good choice also.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Originally Posted by josh35
My son read the mazigenes and he likes the RC8 but I think it is to new.
I like the CEN because of price but there is no parts here for them, same for the sportwerks. It will be between the WP777, Mugen, And the RC8. Tell me what you think.
out of your list I would go with the RC8 or Mugen. I have herd that mugen might be coming out with the mbx6 so you could wait for that. or the RC8 is out right now and looks very nice on the track. handles very similar to the losi 8ight.
I have not owned a kyosho in the past 10 years so I don't know anything about them.
good luck
Old 12-30-2007, 07:42 PM
Tech Apprentice

dont get an rc8 or a mugen.
the rc8 has alot of parts that break easly
the only problem with the mugen is the availbality for parts. if u can get parts at your lhs then your good.

a very good car is the losi 8
-parts are easy to get
-not as many parts break
-is very dourable

but think about what yourlhs carries.
see what parts they carry for that car
also see if that company is a big company because you can probably get set-up sheets for that car
Old 12-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

go the smart route, take your kid to the lhs and let him pick it out. as long as parts are availible, you cant go wrong with any of them.
if you get a RC8, buy extra top plate and toe plate.
if you buy an 8ight, buy extra rear outer hinge pins and plastic hinge pin covers.
if you buy a 777, buy a screw kit and captured hinge pins.
if you by a xray, buy extra spur gears, if you can find ANY parts at all.
if you buy a mugen, buy a case of front arms.
also, how old is your kid? will he be strong enough to carry an xray or mugen?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:04 PM
Tech Regular

I'm sorry if I offend anyone , but Ive driven all the buggies mentioned and I must say LOSI*8/8T are the best. They receive bad comments from those who cant catch them in a race. Usually, its from guys driving Mugen or Xray. Ive said it many times, they don't break (unless you cant drive), very easy to setup and wrench on, handling and performance is second to none, (other manufactures don't even come close to its stability), very affordable replacement parts and very popular. So finding that rare broken part at the track has better odds. also most hobby shops will carry LOSI parts.

Last edited by MetalShield; 12-30-2007 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

thats soo true ppl get mad that i try to pass them with my 8 and they hack me and yelkl at me when im faster then them
Old 12-30-2007, 08:34 PM
Tech Regular

Just look @ what the top 1/8 driver is running, LOSI*8/8T (Adam Drake)
Old 12-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

just about it also depends on what motor ur running and what skill level ur racing at
Old 12-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

CEN Matrix FRE
headrushhobbies.com
Old 12-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Tech Adept

Hey, you Losi guys dont forget about how bad the losi 8 edition cars ware.In 3 week of runnning a Losi alot of the parts are already worn out.My Xray which I have had for more than a year is still using the STOCK parts it came with and it hardly has any ware at all on it and I run my car every weekend on offroad tracks.With Drake it dont matter what car he drives because he is just that talanted it is just who gives him the most money and Losi has thrown the bank at him.So if you dont want to get a new car every two months get an Xray XB8.
Old 12-30-2007, 09:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Xray XB8
Hey, you Losi guys dont forget about how bad the losi 8 edition cars ware.In 3 week of runnning a Losi alot of the parts are already worn out.My Xray which I have had for more than a year is still using the STOCK parts it came with and it hardly has any ware at all on it and I run my car every weekend on offroad tracks.With Drake it dont matter what car he drives because he is just that talanted it is just who gives him the most money and Losi has thrown the bank at him.So if you dont want to get a new car every two months get an Xray XB8.
x2 plus 8ights do break and its cool shops carry the parts but alot of the times they run out of the fast wear/breakable parts, like center diff cases and front drive line parts...
Old 12-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Nik
Tech Regular

Hey James, that you?

I don't get bad rep form anybody driving my 8ight at hotrod. If im considerably slower then somebody trying to overtake me, I race a wide line and let them pass. no sense in driving all aggressive and taking both of you out.

The only time iv'e ever had somebody mad at me, I highly doubt it was because of the car I drove- LOL.

And about the durability issues, I really never had a big problem. Most parts seem to last just as long as other buggies. The only real problems I ever had were the rear diff spacers (get the alum parts) and the fuel tank / cap seal. It started to leak and cause a major tuning headache. (granted ive been running that tank for 6~ months!)

And if the car does wear out a little faster than other cars, its not much and i'd bet you were willing to pay a little more if you really like driving the 8. Ive also noticed that parts for the 8ight are usually considerable cheaper per part then other brands. This sport is not cheap to no matter what car your drive!

see you at the track,
Nik

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.