Community
Wiki Posts
Search

very very very quick question about clutch shoes

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:47 PM
Tech Regular

Default very very very quick question about clutch shoes

i have a 14t himoto clutch. and flywheel, and himoto everything.

will ANY clutch shoes/springs work with those, or do they have to be himoto?

can i mix and match cltuch springs and shoes. ie: mugen springs, and associated shoes?

thanks
Old 11-07-2007, 04:25 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

As long as the flywheel can support the shoes you should be fine.
Old 11-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by annie_himself
As long as the flywheel can support the shoes you should be fine.
so i gotta worry about them fitting on the flywheel, not the clutch?. can i mix and match like i said??

this is stupid, but would it be possible to use 1 proline shoe, 1 mugen shoe, 1 losi shoe, 1 mugen spring, 1 something else spring, 1 cheap spring?? what would happen then?
Old 11-07-2007, 02:09 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mugen MBX-5
so i gotta worry about them fitting on the flywheel, not the clutch?. can i mix and match like i said??

this is stupid, but would it be possible to use 1 proline shoe, 1 mugen shoe, 1 losi shoe, 1 mugen spring, 1 something else spring, 1 cheap spring?? what would happen then?
You need to worry about the amount of pins is what I meant.

With that combination you would most likely have inconsistent clutch action (grip) and have inconsistent wear from shoe to shoe to shoe to shoe and spring to spring to spring to spring. Plus, I think Losi has a different setup. I would go with Mugen, they are pretty universal and have great clutches.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by annie_himself
You need to worry about the amount of pins is what I meant.

With that combination you would most likely have inconsistent clutch action (grip) and have inconsistent wear from shoe to shoe to shoe to shoe and spring to spring to spring to spring. Plus, I think Losi has a different setup. I would go with Mugen, they are pretty universal and have great clutches.
pins?? it has 3 on it. and i thought thats what would happen, im gonna get some mugen shoes and springs and hope they fit my himoto clutch/flywheel. thanks.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

it sounds like your new to this so i would just stay with mugen shoes and springs or CEN or kyosho and some others but losi is a total different setup so dont worry about that just stick with mugen the fine or i know cen works to kyosho's wear to quick
Old 11-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Robert.Hull
it sounds like your new to this so i would just stay with mugen shoes and springs or CEN or kyosho and some others but losi is a total different setup so dont worry about that just stick with mugen the fine or i know cen works to kyosho's wear to quick
yes im new to this.

i have a himoto buggy right now that needs a .28 pullstarter, and clucth shoes/springs. will any brand work for that or do i need himoto brand parts?

i also have a mugen mbx5 that needs and engine and electronics. but im gonna have that all sorted and running on the 17th.
Old 11-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Tech Master

yes im new to this.

i have a himoto buggy right now that needs a .28 pullstarter, and clucth shoes/springs. will any brand work for that or do i need himoto brand parts?

i also have a mugen mbx5 that needs and engine and electronics. but im gonna have that all sorted and running on the 17th.
You should be able to run any setup if you buy the right flywheel. I would stick with Mugen though.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Losi uses a 4-shoe clutch. Most other brands are SIMILAR, but not the same, and usually 3 shoe.

For example, OFNA stuff is just a hair larger in diameter. You can put an OFNA clutch bell on a Mugen flywheel and shoes and it will work... but you can't put a Mugen clutch bell on an OFNA flywheel and shoes. The inside diameter of the OFNA bell is just slightly larger. I'd stick to matched shoes (the same all the way around) and springs, although some guys DO stagger them. I personally run a Mugen clutch setup in my Losi, with a Losi clutch bell. (Mugen flywheel, shoes, and springs)

Losi from the factory comes with 2 carbon (plastic? whatever) shoes and 2 aluminum shoes, and of course they use different springs too...

Werks makes a great clutch, but it is different from anything....

Ask your local hobby shop what will work. I don't know if Himoto is different
Old 11-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Losi uses a 4-shoe clutch. Most other brands are SIMILAR, but not the same, and usually 3 shoe.

For example, OFNA stuff is just a hair larger in diameter. You can put an OFNA clutch bell on a Mugen flywheel and shoes and it will work... but you can't put a Mugen clutch bell on an OFNA flywheel and shoes. The inside diameter of the OFNA bell is just slightly larger. I'd stick to matched shoes (the same all the way around) and springs, although some guys DO stagger them. I personally run a Mugen clutch setup in my Losi, with a Losi clutch bell. (Mugen flywheel, shoes, and springs)

Losi from the factory comes with 2 carbon (plastic? whatever) shoes and 2 aluminum shoes, and of course they use different springs too...

Werks makes a great clutch, but it is different from anything....

Ask your local hobby shop what will work. I don't know if Himoto is different
k cool, thanks a lot. i am going to ask my LHS but it is 1 hour away and i only get a chance to go there once a month, and he doesnt have that much rc stuff, especially himoto brand.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by DOMIT
Losi uses a 4-shoe clutch with 2 carbon (plastic? whatever) shoes and 2 aluminum shoes, and of course they use different springs too...
Yes, I heard about this clutch. Supposedly youget the advantages of both: softer transition of the carbon shoe and the grip of alum ones.

Still, I thought you aren't supposed to use a clutch bell with alum shoes and later with carbon ones, ....let alone mix them!!! hmmmmmm!!?!?
Old 11-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by DR ZAIRUS
Yes, I heard about this clutch. Supposedly youget the advantages of both: softer transition of the carbon shoe and the grip of alum ones.

Still, I thought you aren't supposed to use a clutch bell with alum shoes and later with carbon ones, ....let alone mix them!!! hmmmmmm!!?!?
hmmm, mine must have been plastic, i shattered my himito clutch into literally 50 pieces, i posted pics in another forum, and guys with 20 years experience said theyve never seen a clutch so destroyed, the shoes MUST HAVE BEEN plastic, i found all 50 pieces for the clutch, 2 broken sprigns, and some plastic chunks i couldnt figure out where they came from.

if i just got a whole new clutch assembly, would it for on a himoto engine? (SH. .28), or would i need a new flywheel, and would that fit too??

one thing im really consufed abut is the differnet manufacturers for parts, now is it just a differnt brand name, but same dimensions? or is it a whole different thing? is a mugen clutch totally different then a losi clutch?? or a mugen shock wouldnt fit on a losi buggy or what??
Old 11-10-2007, 03:25 AM
Tech Addict

I'd get used to that with anything with the Himoto brand name on it.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:07 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Soapy
I'd get used to that with anything with the Himoto brand name on it.
oh no, i cut my losses and got a mugen mbx5, im NEVER buying anything himoto ever again in my life, im trying to get this junk himoto buggy working (paid 400$ for it, 300$ in repairs) so i can sell it.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Tech Adept

oh no, i cut my losses and got a mugen mbx5, im NEVER buying anything himoto ever again in my life, im trying to get this junk himoto buggy working (paid 400$ for it, 300$ in repairs) so i can sell it.
In that case get cheap (but working) spare parts, fix it up and sell it. Don't forget to warn the posible buyers that it's a begginer's buggy, so they aren't tto surprised when it isn't first line quality!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.