Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OS .21 VZ-B Problems if any..

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 06:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)
Exclamation OS .21 VZ-B Problems if any..

Bought a used Losi with a OS VZ-B Black Beauty....1.5 gal. through it! I herd( in other forums) there are some problens ,or is that just bad motor maint. ?? When I go to rebuild what parts should I change.... Piston , sleve, con. rod, and the crank too? $$$ Is this a good motor to keep and rebuild?
Old 09-18-2007, 05:16 PM
Tech Master

Is it dead? The only problems I've seen with any V-spec is crappy main bearings (seen many times)(maybe fixed on the newer ones??). The only other problem I've seen at my track with them is a broken carb(1 time).
Old 09-18-2007, 05:22 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 198 (100%+)

Thank's, cauz i was cruzin through another forum and there was a hand full of guy's that say the motor is done after 2 gal.... I'll have to see, i for sure take great care of my motors this is my first .21 VZ-B and don't want any suprises! Keep the feedback comming guys!
Old 09-18-2007, 06:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)

I am not sure who is telling you that motor is done after 2 gallons because I have one with 2 gallons on it and I can not turn it over by hand yet and I have a friend that I race with and he has 5 gallons on his and it still wins every race that he goes to so I think that is a bunch of crap it is a kick ass motor and I will get another one when this one goes
Old 09-18-2007, 06:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default re

my v-spec has 2-3 gal on it and is probably faster ands stronger now than it was a gallon ago.i think it is just like any outher motor .there is always a dude and always sombody that has a problem with it.personaly i think it is all in the break in processto how well your motor performs and last.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Yeah, with poor maintenance maybe only a couple of gallons... Probably an RB Concept fanboy

I actually see about 5ish gallons on V-spec. Although my buddy has 5 gallons and the pinch is awesome on it. The burn on the piston and button head belie the number of gallons it has....

I've not seen main bearing issues with the V-Spec in the last couple of years. The front bearing will "ooze" abit. No way to completely stop that. But thats usually one thing that does go after several gallons...

When that motor looses compression start by sending the piston/sleeve combo to Rayaracing.com for a pinch.

After thats done, you may be able to pinch it again. However, a piston/sleeve/conrod set-up on ebay will run you about 150.00 bucks. Provided the bearings and crank are good you can go ahead and buy that set-up and break it in. Should last you many more gallons.

Again, that if the motor hasn't been mistreated, such as ingested dirt or foreign objects...
Old 09-19-2007, 03:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I probably going to curse myself, but I've been running the same V-spec all summer long. Probably have 7-9 gallons through it, and it's running stronger than ever
Old 09-19-2007, 03:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Lightbulb v-spec

i have a v-spec like the others that posted i have about 2 1/2 gallons through it and it is still tight runs really strong when i rebuld a motor i put new crank, piston, sleeve and conn rod in it.well good luck on your motor and racing.
Marc Nichols
Team Axiom
www.Axiommotors.com
Old 09-19-2007, 04:34 AM
Tech Regular

On all the V specs I have seen to replace bearings and pinch, have had the same problem, they press the rear bearing in when the engine case is cold and it "snags" the case and puts shavings under one side of the bearing, this makes it slightly crooked and thus causes the wear ! Piston/sleeves seem to be holding up very well and take apinch well. DO NOT RUN A CERAMIC FRONT BEARING ! The tolarances are too great for the OS IN THE FRONT ! You can use one in the rear though.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

Thats why don't force the bearings into the case. Also lube it up.

When we replace rear bearings on a case, we heat the case and "freeze" the bearing. (bearing shrinks slightly, while the case expands). The bearing almost drops in...just a slight tap and its good to go...

What tolerance are too great with the front bearing? We've been installing ceramic front bearings on V-Specs (as well as other engines) for months and on engines that now have 4-5 gallons on them with no ill effects, so I have no idea what your comment really means...please elaborate....

With regard to changing out the crank during a rebuild. Use a micrometer and measure out the critical areas. You may not need to replace that. Again, provided it doesn't show wear from ingested foreign objects...

Originally Posted by mremtr
On all the V specs I have seen to replace bearings and pinch, have had the same problem, they press the rear bearing in when the engine case is cold and it "snags" the case and puts shavings under one side of the bearing, this makes it slightly crooked and thus causes the wear ! Piston/sleeves seem to be holding up very well and take apinch well. DO NOT RUN A CERAMIC FRONT BEARING ! The tolarances are too great for the OS IN THE FRONT ! You can use one in the rear though.
Old 09-19-2007, 07:56 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

OS vspec since being on the market has been the most successful engine in big events.

nearly 1st 2nd and 3rd in all major events like US nats, Worlds and Femca.

the engine is the best value for money engine going around, however what come with that is many more noobies who dont know how to tune and maintain one.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:20 AM
Tech Regular

I always heat up the case when doing the bearings , the shavings I notice when I remove the old bearing that was factory installed. As for the ceramic bearings up front, if the tolorance on them is on the loose side (which they are if it is for a high heat app.) the crank moves around in the front too much causing the crank to actually rub the case , this robs power and makes things run hotter than normal . Not saying all are like this ,but you need to watch out for this. Pay close attention to the case and crank just behind the front bearing!
Great engine otherwise. And as for the neebie comment ,I think for the most part that is spot on !
Old 10-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Tech Adept

Default glow plugs

os vspec what is better glow plug p3 or p6?
Old 10-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by motorhead68
os vspec what is better glow plug p3 or p6?
They usually like P3 plugs
Old 10-02-2007, 01:17 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 29 (94%+)

I run a P3 in mine

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.