Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Losi 8ight Carbon Fiber Chassis

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 10:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hi, im doing mechanical engineering at uni and we're covering composites at the moment so I have a couple of questions:

1. Are you using pre-impregnated sheets or is the entire moulding done with fibres and resin by hand?

2. Are you using a woven sheet or unidirectional fibres? If so, have you experimented with the opposite?

3. Once they are available to the public, have you considered offering chassis with varying degrees of flex? Ie. a stiff chassis for smooth, hard packed tracks and a more forgiving chassis for rougher tracks?

4. How many layers are you using?

Thanks.
Old 09-19-2007, 04:26 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)
Default Carbon Chassis

Turbine_au- thanks for the reply. We are using all prepreg, and both uni and woven. yes we have talked about the possibilty of different chassis but that isn't in the plans at this time. On the question of how many layers are we using lets just say the chassis is 4mm.

Thanks again for the reply.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Looks good, but I got 3 words for you.

Air cooled engine
Old 09-19-2007, 10:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Matrix Concepts
On the question of how many layers are we using lets just say the chassis is 4mm.

Thanks again for the reply.
Fair enough then.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Themajorhobby
Looks good, but I got 3 words for you.

Air cooled engine
Huh?

I hope your only point isn't that the stock chassis helps to dissapate heat better. If you feel the bottom of the chassis after a 15 minute race, it's only warm around the engine. That's about the same size as the aluminum insert on this chassis. There may be a minimal difference in heat retention, but nothing that will affect performance.

I'm willing to do some product testing to prove that !
Old 09-20-2007, 07:14 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

themajorhobby.....heat is not an issue and I am testing in probably the hottest place there is to test as far as heat and humitidy goes and I have not had any issues........
Old 09-20-2007, 08:17 AM
Tech Apprentice

xlgraphicspro-

I think you are a little off, the chassis gets hot under the engine and warm throughout the rest of the plate. If the rest of the plate were not there, the area directly under the engine would be that much hotter. Just thermodynamics. Don't be narrowminded enough to think that it will not affect things such as long run tune and so on... for a 5 minute race...maybe not..for a 30 min race...of course it will come into play...start lean and you're done, start a little on the rich side, prolly not a big deal. Just something to think about.

peakman, thats good news.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:35 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

how is that alum plate inserted? is it pressed or bolted together?

what had been done to prevent it from poping out under a hard hit?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Race-Wright
how is that alum plate inserted? is it pressed or bolted together?

what had been done to prevent it from poping out under a hard hit?
It looks to be fixed to the carbon with screws and locknuts.

Peakman, I wonder if it might be possible to get a few photos of the underside of the chassis/car that you've been testing? I'm curious to see how it's affected by abraision and wear.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Tech Regular

The aluminum plate is secured in the chassis with nuts and bolts as well as the motor mount.....there is now way that plate will ever come out......

CA...pics will be up shortly.
Old 09-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Tech Regular

Here ya go Captain
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight Carbon Fiber Chassis-front.jpg   Losi 8ight Carbon Fiber Chassis-middle.jpg   Losi 8ight Carbon Fiber Chassis-backjpg.jpg  
Old 09-20-2007, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Thanks peakman. The chassis looks like it's held up well overall, just the longitudinal extremities that take the brunt of the hits with the rear in particular. Steel skidplates front and rear should cure that, especially if they cover right up to the edges of the chassis

I realise that this might be asking a bit much, but I think it would probably put many peoples' minds at ease if you could describe the type of circuit you're doing the testing on (or better yet--pics!) Also, how many hours do you reckon that you've logged with the carbon chassis to date?

Ultimately, it would be interesting if a local 8ight owner/racer could do some side-by-side comparisons with a conventional kit to see how one performs versus the other... Maybe even enter it in a race to see how it flies
Old 09-20-2007, 03:15 PM
Tech Addict

Default Carbon Chassis

Captain America- here are a few pics of the 1st prototype to compare to Peakmans.

The tracks we have been running on are here in So Cal. The Palomar track is super rough, Thunder Alley, Sun Valley Motorsports in Los Angeles, Full Throttle Hobbies in Bakersfield, last weekend at Revelation Raceway in Ontario, and of course our private test track where we come up with these parts and test them.

This chassis has 5 rounds of the JBRL series on it and about 8 gallons of fuel through it so far.

We will be looking to do a comparrison in the near future.

Hope this helps
Old 09-20-2007, 03:18 PM
Tech Addict

Default Carbon Chassis

Sorry forgot to load the pictures.
Attached Thumbnails Losi 8ight Carbon Fiber Chassis-pdr_0054.jpg   Losi 8ight Carbon Fiber Chassis-pdr_0055.jpg   Losi 8ight Carbon Fiber Chassis-pdr_0056.jpg  
Old 09-20-2007, 03:19 PM
Tech Addict

Default Carbon Chassis

Captain America- I forgot to say that we are just about half way through thickness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.